• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As much as I love that quote, I'm pretty sure it's fake. After I heard it I did a little research and I couldn't find a credible source that attributes it to Hitler.

Correct, there is no source for that quote and the language is not of the time period. However, the following can be attributed:

er größte Unsinn, den man in den besetzen Ostgebieten machen könnte, sei der, den unterworfenen Völkern Waffen zu geben. Die Geschicte lehre, daß alle Herrenvölker untergegangen seien, nachdem sie den von ihnen unterworfenen Volkern Waffen bewilligt hatten.

[The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to permit the conquered Eastern peoples to have arms. History teaches that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by doing so.]

--- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945), April 11, 1942, quoted in Hitlers Tischegesprache Im Fuhrerhauptquartier 1941-1942.
[Hitler's Table-Talk at the Fuhrer's Headquarters 1941-1942], Dr. Henry Picker, ed. (Athenaum-Verlag, Bonn, 1951)

DocWalker

Correct, there is no source for that quote and the language is not of the time period. However, the following can be attributed:

Very nice, thank you for taking the time to do the research. I knew hitler was against the people having firearms and knew he stated the fact but I never took the time to get the direct quote.

Firedawg314

Why I carry

At first I wanted to carry because it "looked" cool

Now I carry for some of the reason;
Its my right to defend myself and my family
I llive in a world where kids are the biggest risk takers of crime
Intimation factor; some believe I may be a cop... just by the way I walk and talk (proper english) and that I care about myself, but normally when a person see's a gun on your hip... normally they assume you know how to use it well. Some guns are so beautful, that they (criminals) assume you can probably hit a dime 25 yards away and you have a quick draw to match

And last why I carry... even if I ever think I don't need my gun anymore, at least I'm supporting the cause by caring it and staying current in my license. I think the more people have a CCW, helps to prove the need of the right.

dogdays

I live one mile north of the border on a small ranch and raise Arabian horses. Due to the danger of wandering bands of "Eskimo Girl Scouts" I and my wife almost always carry when we are out and about. All my neighbors are of the same idea and carry too. As much as some of my relatives who reside in the Peoples Republic Of California may disagree with us on weapons, it is much too dangerous to ignore the reality. We have had too many instances of damge and thefts to turn the other cheek. Feel good ideas will get you killed faster than you can say "OMG".

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Protection.
Them- protection from what? Nobody is attacking you!
Me- Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? It's not on fire!
Them- just in case. You never know when something could happen
Me- same reason I carry this gun

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Them- protection from what? Nobody is attacking you!
Me - Gee, it must be working don't you think?

tnhawk

Why am I carrying?

The same reason I carry a spare tire and jumper cables in my vehicle. These items and a gun aren't much help, when left at home.

Neplusultra

Yeah, I don't know. I tend to believe people like that prefer not to have to think about such things and consider what could happen and how they might react or behave. So they just don't go there.... until it's staring them in the face, in which case there's a very good chance it will be too late to do anything anyway. Natural selection does not suffer fools.

I should reiterate that he was a good man and someone I enjoyed talking to about other things.

I remember the first time I picked up a 9mm that was specifically bought for SD. IOW, to kill someone. I'd shot guns since I was small and had NO fear of them, as most small boys are normally. But this was VERY different. I picked it up off my friend's coffee table and held it in my hand. It was like an electric shock went through me. It was very unnerving and I had to set it back down immediately. It was the first time I really held a gun with the serious thought and association that "this gun" was for killing and not just for target practice.

I realized pretty quickly that this was an emotional immaturity in that I had never developed the moral sense of killing as being a good thing in the right situation. At least on a serious level of "actually" killing someone, more than just an intellectual thought excercise. I was not convinced of the righteousness of killing someone in this or that situation. The false notion that killing someone is the most horrible thing one could do was still my moral guide. As you alluded to above Southernboy, I believe it is an emotional immaturity that drives the antis in their irrationalities regarding SD with firearms.

When we decide to carry a firearm, or any deadly weapon, for self defense we had best have "thought it all through" before the need arises. Which I think I've done. As regretable as it may be that a situation would necessitate the killing of another I realize it truly would not be my decision to kill that person but theirs. It is they that have made my actions necessary.

Last edited:

Marco

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." and "No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him."
~Thomas Jefferson to Francis Gilmer, 1816

h20squirter

I am jealous of all of you whom can OC. being that I live in the big crooked penis that is the State of FL, I don't get to OC. I have always said that the day OC is passed here I am gonna get 2 drop leg tac holsters and saddle up, just because I can. :lol:

papa bear

I am jealous of all of you whom can OC. being that I live in the big crooked penis that is the State of FL, I don't get to OC. I have always said that the day OC is passed here I am gonna get 2 drop leg tac holsters and saddle up, just because I can. :lol:

the main thing you need to ask is, why can't i carry.

Hardbuck90

I usually respond by asking "you wear your seatbelt don't you?", when they say yes I ask "why don't you just put it on before an accident?" That usually shuts 'em up

Dr Phil

Good to see what everyone's opinion on this topic is. My response would probably be the "personal protection" bit many have chosen. I have yet to be asked this question, mostly because I recently moved from Maryland to Virginia (Thank God) and have only been carrying for a couple of months. I've gotten a few double-take hip glances and weird looks, but no questions as of yet.

IdahoOpenCarry

An ex-police officer's perspective

I was recruited by the PD immediately after returning from my tour in Vietnam. Unfortunately, many law enforcement officers are put on the street without knowing all of the laws of that particular state. I grew up in Washington DC where guns were illegal, so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"
(Many police departments enlist their recruits from military bases as they are being discharged, and often they graduate from the police academy without being taught the state laws regarding gun rights.)

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers. However, had the person said, "Are you unaware that, in this state, it is legal for me to wear a gun on my hip without a license?", I probably would have been embarrassed but I believe I would have responded in a friendly manner and, at the end of the day, thankful to the OCer.

The fact is, the police are our allies and we are theirs. Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule and there are those who we referred to on the PD as "cowboys", but they are relatively few. However, in the event that you are confronted with a "cowboy", responding sarcastically will probably diminish their opinion of all OCers and make your situation more difficult than need be.

We provide our members with Idaho gun laws and encourage them to have the laws available whenever they Open Carry just in case they are confronted with a recent military veteran from an OC restricted state, who just joined the PD and who has no idea that it is legal to Open Carry. Open Carry is a public relations war and we are the front lines. Treat the officer like you would want to be treated. If they are ignorant of the gun laws, it is their departments fault for not educating them sufficiently, not the officer’s. Win them over and make them an ally; they will appreciate it and you will soon be on your way (much sooner than if you were sarcastic).

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Open Carry
"Only the good guys Open Carry"

Last edited:

OC for ME

I was recruited by the PD immediately after returning from my tour in Vietnam. Unfortunately, many law enforcement officers are put on the street without knowing all of the laws of that particular state. I grew up in Washington DC where guns were illegal, so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"
(Many police departments enlist their recruits from military bases as they are being discharged, and often they graduate from the police academy without being taught the state laws regarding gun rights.)

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers. However, had the person said, "Are you unaware that, in this state, it is legal for me to wear a gun on my hip without a license?", I probably would have been embarrassed but I believe I would have responded in a friendly manner and, at the end of the day, thankful to the OCer.

The fact is, the police are our allies and we are theirs. Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule and there are those who we referred to on the PD as "cowboys", but they are relatively few. However, in the event that you are confronted with a "cowboy", responding sarcastically will probably diminish their opinion of all OCers and make your situation more difficult than need be.

We provide our members with Idaho gun laws and encourage them to have the laws available whenever they Open Carry just in case they are confronted with a recent military veteran from an OC restricted state, who just joined the PD and who has no idea that it is legal to Open Carry. Open Carry is a public relations war and we are the front lines. Treat the officer like you would want to be treated. If they are ignorant of the gun laws, it is their departments fault for not educating them sufficiently, not the officer’s. Win them over and make them an ally; they will appreciate it and you will soon be on your way (much sooner than if you were sarcastic).

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Open Carry
Here is the Missouri statute for unlawful use of a weapon. RSMo 571.030

My little town's ordinance is almost verbatim of the state statute. The 'you can not' parts are short and to the point. Easily found and easily recalled from memory. Either the LEO, who is 'unaware', is not intellectually capable of recalling these simple statutes or he chooses not to abide by them. There can be no other logical explanation. I found them, and after several minutes of study I can recall them almost verbatim.

And why should I give a rats rear-end what the 'cowboy' officer's opinion of OCer's is, he is a cowboy by your own account and not interested in the OCer or the OCer's right to self defense. I find 'cowboy' LEOs not worth my time to either educate or 'win over'. If ignorance of the law is no excuse, then this axiom should be especially applicable to a 'law' enforcement officer. Good cops, in my view, likely know the laws there by justifying there good cop classification.

Cowboy LEOs are few and far between from my perspective, and thankfully so, but we mere citizens cannot tell the difference between a good LEO and a bad LEO just by looking at them. Especially so in those jurisdictions where our right to self defense is almost nonexistent.

DocWalker

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Open Carry

I will agree to a point but ingnorance of ones JOB doesn't make an excuse. I hope you never have a surgeon that doesn't know their job. I also think that if they attended the acadamy they should know the laws before being released onto the street. This would be defined as educational failure on either the student or the education system be it medical, law enforcement, or any training required to do a job.

FTG-05

Here is the Missouri statute for unlawful use of a weapon. RSMo 571.030

My little town's ordinance is almost verbatim of the state statute. The 'you can not' parts are short and to the point. Easily found and easily recalled from memory. Either the LEO, who is 'unaware', is not intellectually capable of recalling these simple statutes or he chooses not to abide by them. There can be no other logical explanation. I found them, and after several minutes of study I can recall them almost verbatim.

And why should I give a rats rear-end what the 'cowboy' officer's opinion of OCer's is, he is a cowboy by your own account and not interested in the OCer or the OCer's right to self defense. I find 'cowboy' LEOs not worth my time to either educate or 'win over'. If ignorance of the law is no excuse, then this axiom should be especially applicable to a 'law' enforcement officer. Good cops, in my view, likely know the laws there by justifying there good cop classification.

Cowboy LEOs are few and far between from my perspective, and thankfully so, but we mere citizens cannot tell the difference between a good LEO and a bad LEO just by looking at them. Especially so in those jurisdictions where our right to self defense is almost nonexistent.

Unfortunately, AL's OC laws aren't so clear. However, I agree with your "cowboy" comments. What I did take from IOC's post is his comments about being sarcastic to LEOs. This I have to take to heart due to my brand of humor, which could be interpreted as sarcastic, or worse, disrespect.

Good stuff in this thread, I appreciate it!

SovereignAxe

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Open Carry

I can totally sympathize with these points, and can feel the officer's pain in these situations. But most of the police that I've come across have been natives of their own state, so to assume that a police officer that is confronting me is from another state seems ridiculous to me.

And I wish I could say that it surprises me that a police officer would be ignorant of the law, but it doesn't. The police get rewarded for arresting people, but they don't get rewarded for knowing the law and leaving law abiding citizens alone. So it's no surprise that an officer that has any doubt is going to make an arrest and let the courts or the DA handle it, possibly costing the LAC thousands of dollars in court costs, lawyer fees and lots of time. It costs the officer a few minutes of paperwork, and maybe a couple more hours in court if they have to be a witness.

What incentive does a police officer have to know the law? Very little, except to save himself a bit of embarassment.

Z1P2

"Because if I carried you around with me everywhere to keep me safe I'd eventually get charged with kidnapping."