• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

Mr H

I haven't posted on here much but wanted to throw my two cents in here. I do agree we need to be polite and teach those not familiar with OC as best we can. I haven't had a chance to use this yet, but if the convo gets to the point of "well the police can come to your rescue" my reply may be something to the affect of "You realize it will take the police at least 5 minutes, on the best of days, to come to your rescue right? I'd like for you to go home tonight and get a timer. Go to your bed and set it for 5 minutes. Now just lay in your bed there until the timer goes off. Think about how much time that really is and what an armed intruder would have time to do before the police got there."

"When seconds matter, the police are only minutes away"

It's a common refrain here, and I fear all too common in the real world as well.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Think about how much time that really is and what an armed intruder would have time to do before the police got there."

It's a good thing most of the nutjobs from Luby's, Texas, Ft. Hood, Va Tech, Columbine, etc, are amateurs! I'd hate to think what could happen if someone with half a brain had at it.

Good thing we carriers would drill him before he could do too much damage.

Carry on.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? Do you really think you will need it?"
"Can you guarantee me that I will be safe from harm 100% of the time I am out and about?"
"Of course not, no one can."
"Then sir, if you will excuse me, I must be on my way."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"What do you think the chance is you'll need it around here?"
"Zero percent.... until it's 100%."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun?"
"Because I love my life and my family enough to make sure I arrive back home safe and sound."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Because God only gave me one life and it's my job to see I keep it."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? Don't you know you're scaring other people going around like that?"
"Hmm. They don't look scared. Shall we ask them?"

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"That scares me."
"When you see a police officer, does that scare you?"
"No, of course not."
"Why?"
"Because they're police."
"And I am a Virginian. We're the ones who are supposed to have firearms. The police only have them because we allow them to have them."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? I don't like guns.. they scare me." [from someone obviously not from VA]
"You're not from Virginia, are you?"

I've used a few of these answers over the years. I always try to keep it above board, polite, respectful, and non-confrontational whenever possible. Comical when the instant encounter allows it, but usually just polite. I never forget that we are emissaries for our basic rights and that we should, must, always present ourselves in a manner that is beyond reproach, even in the face of ignorance and anger.

protect our rights

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? Do you really think you will need it?"
"Can you guarantee me that I will be safe from harm 100% of the time I am out and about?"
"Of course not, no one can."
"Then sir, if you will excuse me, I must be on my way."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"What do you think the chance is you'll need it around here?"
"Zero percent.... until it's 100%."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Because I love my life and my family enough to make sure I arrive back home safe and sound."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Because God only gave me one life and it's my job to see I keep it."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? Don't you know you're scaring other people going around like that?"
"Hmm. They don't look scared. Shall we ask them?"

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"That scares me."
"When you see a police officer, does that scare you?"
"No, of course not."
"Why?"
"Because they're police."
"And I am a Virginian. We're the ones who are supposed to have firearms. The police only have them because we allow them to have them."

"Is that a gun?"
"Yes sir, it is."
"Why are you carrying a gun? I don't like guns.. they scare me." [from someone obviously not from VA]
"You're not from Virginia, are you?"

I've used a few of these answers over the years. I always try to keep it above board, polite, respectful, and non-confrontational whenever possible. Comical when the instant encounter allows it, but usually just polite. I never forget that we are emissaries for our basic rights and that we should, must, always present ourselves in a manner that is beyond reproach, even in the face of ignorance and anger.

+7

Dreamer

I haven't had a chance to use this yet, but if the convo gets to the point of "well the police can come to your rescue" my reply may be something to the affect of "You realize it will take the police at least 5 minutes, on the best of days, to come to your rescue right? I'd like for you to go home tonight and get a timer. Go to your bed and set it for 5 minutes. Now just lay in your bed there until the timer goes off. Think about how much time that really is and what an armed intruder would have time to do before the police got there."

And sometimes, even when they ARE minutes away, they don't do anything anyway, and you end up getting kidnapped, assaulted, beaten, raped, and sodomized for over 14 hours...

Anytime someone tries to use that old saw on me, I immediately launch into a reading of the courts decision (which includes a GRAPHIC account of the brutal sexual assaults of three women) on "Warren vs. District of Columbia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Most people--even the most unicorn-and-rainbow-loving lefties, start to see the light by the time you get to the part where they brutally beat and raped these poor women for 14 hours, and the cops barely got out of their cars to investigate their multiple, frantic 911 calls...

I suggest everyone with a smart phone should copy the "Warren" ruling and account onto their phone, and FORCE people to listen to the story when they say that you shouldn't carry because the "police are there to protect us".

Don't stand for the BS, the propaganda, and the brainwashing. It's time to stop being so sweet and fuzzy with these Zombies. We need to expose them to the graphic, brutal tragedies that await their loving trust in the government to "protect them".

When these folks start to realize that not only are the police incapable of responding in time, but they are under NO DUTY or LEGAL OBLIGATION to help them in their time of need, the tiny little lights in their otherwise air-filled heads might start to flicker on.

Sometimes, lessons are hard. Sometimes, folks NEED to hear the gory, brutal, disgusting, sociopathic truth about how the system REALLY works, before they will wake up.

Logic has failed for us.

Statistics just make their eyes glaze over.

Appeals to Liberty and Freedom fall on deaf ears.

But if they are regaled with the TRUE story of innocent women being brutally raped, kidnapped, and assaulted--for OVER FOURTEEN HOURS in their OWN HOME, in the NATIONS CAPITAL--and then left for dead, after which the City and the Police were found by the courts to have NO LIABILITY despite the multiple 911 calls made by the victims, then even the most brainwashed, kool-aid drinking, rainbows and unicorns hugging anti's might start to see things our way.

Because their tiny little flouride-soaked, Prozac-numbed, Chantix-altered brains STILL understand emotion.

Make them sick. Make them uncomfortable. Make them UNDERSTAND that they are ALREADY a victim if they are unarmed. Make them feel like the State doesn't give a hoot in hell if they are raped, beaten, sodomized, and tortured, because, in fact, it doesn't.

Then, and only then, the tiny little lights that exist in their tiny little minds, might flicker to life, and rekindle their desire to be a genuine, whole, and RESPONSIBLE human being once again...

Last edited:

protect our rights

And sometimes, even when they ARE minutes away, they don't do anything anyway, and you end up getting kidnapped, assaulted, beaten, raped, and sodomized for over 14 hours...

Anytime someone tries to use that old saw on me, I immediately launch into a reading of the courts decision (which includes a GRAPHIC account of the brutal sexual assaults of three women) on "Warren vs. District of Columbia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Most people--even the most unicorn-and-rainbow-loving lefties, start to see the light by the time you get to the part where they brutally beat and raped these poor women for 14 hours, and the cops barely got out of their cars to investigate their multiple, frantic 911 calls...

I suggest everyone with a smart phone should copy the "Warren" ruling and account onto their phone, and FORCE people to listen to the story when they say that you shouldn't carry because the "police are there to protect us".

Don't stand for the BS, the propaganda, and the brainwashing. It's time to stop being so sweet and fuzzy with these Zombies. We need to expose them to the graphic, brutal tragedies that await their loving trust in the government to "protect them".

When these folks start to realize that not only are the police incapable of responding in time, but they are under NO DUTY or LEGAL OBLIGATION to help them in their time of need, the tiny little lights in their otherwise air-filled heads might start to flicker on.

Sometimes, lessons are hard. Sometimes, folks NEED to hear the gory, brutal, disgusting, sociopathic truth about how the system REALLY works, before they will wake up.

Logic has failed for us.

Statistics just make their eyes glaze over.

Appeals to Liberty and Freedom fall on deaf ears.

But if they are regaled with the TRUE story of innocent women being brutally raped, kidnapped, and assaulted--for OVER FOURTEEN HOURS in their OWN HOME, in the NATIONS CAPITAL--and then left for dead, after which the City and the Police were found by the courts to have NO LIABILITY despite the multiple 911 calls made by the victims, then even the most brainwashed, kool-aid drinking, rainbows and unicorns hugging anti's might start to see things our way.

Because their tiny little flouride-soaked, Prozac-numbed, Chantix-altered brains STILL understand emotion.

Make them sick. Make them uncomfortable. Make them UNDERSTAND that they are ALREADY a victim if they are unarmed. Make them feel like the State doesn't give a hoot in hell if they are raped, beaten, sodomized, and tortured, because, in fact, it doesn't.

Then, and only then, the tiny little lights that exist in their tiny little minds, might flicker to life, and rekindle their desire to be a genuine, whole, and RESPONSIBLE human being once again...

Soo... you have you ever given speeches before?

Smith45acp

"Why are you carrying that gun?"

Because I'm a good guy and this is for the bad guys

And... I realize there is always an opportunity to be an ambassador to the 2A. But sometimes I'm not feeling talkative and sometimes a person's attitude makes me feel even less so.

So I reserve the right to ignore someone completely if they charge up to me and tell me how scary they think guns are. (which always seems so ironic)

HeroHog

If they are the snide type, I ask them to look around and count the police who are around to protect them. When there are none, which is 99.999% of the time, I let them know they only take minuets to hours to arrive and when you are being beaten, raped or stabbed/shot, that is simply too long! If there ARE police around, I simply let them know that MOST of the time there aren't any around and blah blah blah... and THEY are responsible for their safety and protection, NOT the police and that that the police have NO legal obligation to do so.

To people with an honest question I will engage them in an informative discussion of the law and their rights and responsibilities.

To an officer, I say "I always carry it!" and "I don't want it to get stolen from my car/house when I am not there."

Brion

I don't know where I read this but I figured this would be the post to put it in.
Something I learend number 1 is, don't give strait forward answers. More like answer a question with a question. Got around the answer. You see, smart people (ahem, trained individuals) will be very very carefull in how they ask the question. Such as: "Do you have a permit on you, and do you mind if I check you're weapon?" And when you say "No." Well what didyou say "No" to? No I don't have a permit, or No I don't mind you check me, as he is already reaching for your holstered weapon.

Something els, be very carefull about how you answer questions when it appears that someone ignorant of the law, including LEOs.

Another Example: And really only if it's an ignorant LEO.

LEO: "Why are you carrying that firearm?"
You: "Why not?"
LEO: "Do you have a permit on you, and would you mind if I check your firearm?"
You: "I'd rather you didn't, and what makes you think I don't have a permit?"
LEO: "Well that's why I have to check."

BAM! Nailed him, especially if you have a recorder goin.

Someone could help me identify how more to handing questions like that as I'm new to the OP thing.

eddallen1958

I carry mine because the bad guys carry theirs. Face it, before a LEO can help you the confrontation will be over with. If they have a gun and you don't, you're dead!!!

Brion

So I read some of the stories and comebacks that one would say when a person approaches you and says "Hey, why do you have that gun." That grinds my gears to the point I want to :banghead: . But what grinds them even more are the people that don't say crap to you and just call the cops and make them walk up to you and ask the question. In my perfect world the phone conversation would go like this:

Dispatch: "911, what is your emergency?"
Sheep: "There is a man with a gun here in McDonalds"
Dispatch: "Sir/Ma'am, what is the man doing?"
Sheep: "He's just sitting there eating, with the gun in a holster."
Dispatch: "Ok, Sir/Ma'am, I need you to stay calm and do me a favor, you need to be brave can you do that for me?"
Sheep: "Yeah, I think so."
Dispatch: "Ok, I need you to walk up to the man and thank him for protecting you while the police are farther away than he is."

I guess that belongs in a thread about sheep, and LEO reaction to "Man with a gun" calls. Sorry

OldCurlyWolf

So I read some of the stories and comebacks that one would say when a person approaches you and says "Hey, why do you have that gun." That grinds my gears to the point I want to :banghead: . But what grinds them even more are the people that don't say crap to you and just call the cops and make them walk up to you and ask the question. In my perfect world the phone conversation would go like this:

Dispatch: "Ok, Sir/Ma'am, I need you to stay calm and do me a favor, you need to be brave can you do that for me?"
Dispatch: "Ok, I need you to walk up to the man and thank him for protecting you while the police are farther away than he is."

I guess that belongs in a thread about sheep, and LEO reaction to "Man with a gun" calls. Sorry

If Only! (sigh):cool:

sudden valley gunner

LOL...I was at DOL (Department of License) waiting my turn, when my babes called I went outside to take the call, and a guy was on the phone with his back turned toward me, it sounded like a 911 call,

"nothing he is just sitting there", " No it's in a holster", " What do you mean......?" "But he has a gun?" and so forth, hangs up and turns around and wallah face to face with the gun owner, eyes bugging out, and states something to effect on how that is just highly unusual.

I am assuming 911 handled exactly as they should have no LEO showed up and I proceeded to renew my license.

KansasMustang

Because ten seconds is a lifetime. In ten seconds with an M1A1 tank I've seen a tank crew destroy 3 other tanks. In ten seconds I've fired 8 rounds accurately. In ten seconds a bad guy can cut you're throat and take all your valuables. What cop can respond in ten seconds?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Because ten seconds is a lifetime. In ten seconds with an M1A1 tank I've seen a tank crew destroy 3 other tanks. In ten seconds I've fired 8 rounds accurately. In ten seconds a bad guy can cut you're throat and take all your valuables. What cop can respond in ten seconds?

Ahh, but "they" don't think like or of this, nor do they understand it. And they think we are a little strange because we do.