• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

carry for myself

why are you carrying that gun? Response : well officer to be honest. you guys are slow. very slow. and while having you there with a pen to write the report after im dead is a blessing in itself. i would much rather protect myself. :-D

and a few more answers

"is that real" - no its wood
"do you have a permit for that" - do you have a permit to ask me stupid questions.
"what are you planning on doing with that" -dinner and a movie, maybe ill get lucky and it will let me see its magazine well
"do you think your some type of cowboy" -do you think your an investigative reporter?
"why do you carry a gun at all?" -why do you wear a seatbelt, or have a smoke detector
"are you affraid of something" - yes the movie showgirls, it terrifies me
"is that loaded" -yep with tomatoes, cheese, meat and pickles, OH THE GUN?
"think your a tough guy?" - no i think im an american guy, who has rights.

:)

Last edited:

carry for myself

very true. but then again the question of "why are you carrying that" is the same as me saying to a random person "why are you wearing glasses" or "why are you wearing pants" lol

SovereignAxe

"Why am I carrying THIS gun or A gun?"

To the first question: "Have you ever held a Walther? Fits me like a glove."

To the 2nd question: "Why wouldn't I?" or "I paid the state of TN a hundred and fifteen d@** dollars to do so, so I'm getting my money's worth"

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Sensible risk management.

We all have fire alarms, CO2 detectors, fire extinguishers, practice fire drills with young children, may have an emergency escape ladder from a second floor window, and our kids get annual fire safety lessons in school. There are national advertising campaigns, everyone from Smokey the Bear to insurance spokespeople pass on tips to avoid or survive a fire.

Firemen often arrive at a fire in time to limit the damage.

Fire kills about 2,500 Americans a year.

Our only social training to prevent violence are silly programs like "stranger danger" for kids and women should carry a whistle / mace. TV news features "gun violence" and the Eddie the Eagle program tells kids to not touch a gun. But there are no broad programs for preventing or surviving a home invasion, mugging, car-jacking, robbery, etc.

Police almost never arrive in time to stop a violent crime.

Violence (all types) kills about 50,000 a year.

Self defense is an individual responsibility.

Axctal

Some answers

"You can't carry that in here..."
"You shouldn't be carrying that...!"
- Do you want me to drag it on a string behind?

"Why are you carrying that (gun)...?"
- Because it is Wednesday. Yes - this is my Wednesday gun.

"What are you going to do with that...?"
"What do you think you're doing/going to do with that...?"
- My private life is not of your concern.

"I don't want no trouble..."
- Can you translate this to English please?

"What's the matter with you...?"
- Hungry.

"Is that registered...?"
- What is registration?

"Do you have a permit for that...?"
- Ever heard of constitution / BOR?

"Put that away... there are children here..."
- OMG! They are EVERYWHERE! RUN!

"You've/He's got a GUN!!!!"
- (*loud*) POLICE!! POLICE!! He (she) is trying to incite a panic !!!!

Malcolm

If it was a person on the street for OC'ing.

"Because my 1911 has a longer sight radius and is more accurate than my ppk."

If it was a cop. probably nothing. The only thing that I ever want to say to them is - have a nice day.

101st Airborne Combat Vet

Why do you carry sir?

Well because i was in the Army. I made enemies with Islamist Extremists all over the world while on deployment while i wore a name tag. Plus it is legal in GA. I have a license. For personal protection. Because unless it is a DUI cops do not show up on time. Why do you not know the Law and your a police officer? Are you Jealous? I would ask the cop why do police officers open carry when they are off duty? Technically they are suppose to only carry while they are on duty unless they have a firearms license.If a cop is off duty and they are asking for you for your firearms license while they are carrying, ask him if he has a carry permit if he does not you can report him. Etc... I could go on for a while.

Last edited:

Lthrnck

Self Defense Plan

I have started using this....

It's part of my families self-defense plan for when the police can't get here in time.

What's your plan...???

eye95

I have started using this....

It's part of my families self-defense plan for when the police can't get here in time.

What's your plan...???

A good, rational answer. The snarky answers are fun to read, but I hope folks stick to rational answers like this one.

Outdoorsman1

Here's one....

Because we have an agreement.... I will legally carry my firearm when I am quietly, peacefully going about my day, and in exchange, my firearm will carry me when things are not so quiet and peacefull...

Outdoorsman1

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
None confrontation/smart-ass answers to consider.

"Why are you carrying a firearm?"
"So I don't have to use it."

[person asking question wanders off in complete oblivion]

"Because God only gave me one life and I'd like to keep it."

"Because I love my family too much not to."

"Why are you carrying a firearm? What's the chance you'll need it here?"
"Zero percent. Until it's 100 percent."

"I might ask you why you're not carrying one, but I won't."

"Why are you carrying a firearm? Don't you know cops will protect you?"
"Do you see any cops here?"

"Getting shot really hurts. I'd rather have something to help me avoid that."

Oramac

LEO: Why are you carrying that firearm?
Response: when seconds count the Police are just minutes away.

I don't know who said that, but its about as true as as it gets.

Ironically, if you said that to a LEO, he would not, in fact, be minutes away. Seeing as he would be standing right next to you.

MontyBurns

For me it all depends on the tone of voice and body language. If they are polite and just genuinely curious about why I choose to OC. I'm happy to educate them. But if it's one of those "why are you carrying that gun" (with a how dare you tone). I'm not quite as nice as others on here with their funny one liners.......the only answer their gonna get is...... none of your damn business.

I'm with Trooper on this one. I found this shirt surfing around (askmeaboutmygun.com) to encourage people to ask (although we can't open carry in TX)

TSHIRT-THUMB_03.jpg

It's spurred some very good conversations and I think I've actually changed a few minds. We need to engage people in a thoughtful way - not in a condescending or combative way. We need to get people over the weird taboo thinking around guns. They are just frikkin' tools.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here's a few I've used since the last time I visited this thread:

Gas station clerk: "Yes, I'm scared."
Me: "Why are you scared?"
Clerk: "You have a gun!"
Me: "Oh. That. Do you have orange slices in here?"

Gas station clerk (a minute later): "It makes me nervous."
Me: "What makes you nervous?"
Clerk: "The gun!"
Me: "Oh. No worries - it doesn't bite."
Clerk: "It's scaring me!"
Me: "Would you rather see an honest, law-abiding citizens carrying a firearm, or see a criminal who's hiding a weapon you cannot see?"
Clerk: "Well, at least your law-abiding. You are, aren't you?"
Me: "Absolutely. Ma'am, about 99.999% of those who open-carry are law-abiding citizens. Criminals almost never open carry."
Clerk: "Ok..."