Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Why are you carrying that firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by h20squirter View Post
    I am jealous of all of you whom can OC. being that I live in the big crooked penis that is the State of FL, I don't get to OC. I have always said that the day OC is passed here I am gonna get 2 drop leg tac holsters and saddle up, just because I can.
    the main thing you need to ask is, why can't i carry.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I usually respond by asking "you wear your seatbelt don't you?", when they say yes I ask "why don't you just put it on before an accident?" That usually shuts 'em up

Good to see what everyone's opinion on this topic is. My response would probably be the "personal protection" bit many have chosen. I have yet to be asked this question, mostly because I recently moved from Maryland to Virginia (Thank God) and have only been carrying for a couple of months. I've gotten a few double-take hip glances and weird looks, but no questions as of yet.

An ex-police officer's perspective

I was recruited by the PD immediately after returning from my tour in Vietnam. Unfortunately, many law enforcement officers are put on the street without knowing all of the laws of that particular state. I grew up in Washington DC where guns were illegal, so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"
    (Many police departments enlist their recruits from military bases as they are being discharged, and often they graduate from the police academy without being taught the state laws regarding gun rights.)

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers. However, had the person said, "Are you unaware that, in this state, it is legal for me to wear a gun on my hip without a license?", I probably would have been embarrassed but I believe I would have responded in a friendly manner and, at the end of the day, thankful to the OCer.

The fact is, the police are our allies and we are theirs. Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule and there are those who we referred to on the PD as "cowboys", but they are relatively few. However, in the event that you are confronted with a "cowboy", responding sarcastically will probably diminish their opinion of all OCers and make your situation more difficult than need be.

We provide our members with Idaho gun laws and encourage them to have the laws available whenever they Open Carry just in case they are confronted with a recent military veteran from an OC restricted state, who just joined the PD and who has no idea that it is legal to Open Carry. Open Carry is a public relations war and we are the front lines. Treat the officer like you would want to be treated. If they are ignorant of the gun laws, it is their departments fault for not educating them sufficiently, not the officer’s. Win them over and make them an ally; they will appreciate it and you will soon be on your way (much sooner than if you were sarcastic).

Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    "Only the good guys Open Carry"
    Last edited by IdahoOpenCarry; 01-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoOpenCarry View Post
    so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"
    (Many police departments enlist their recruits from military bases as they are being discharged, and often they graduate from the police academy without being taught the state laws regarding gun rights.)

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers.
    Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    Well, Tony, it really depends on who is asking us, "Why are you wearing that gun?" If a police officer asks me that question, I will answer their question with a question, "Are you detaining me, officer?" At that point, the officer had better very quickly figure out the laws of the state in which they are employed, or answer "No" and allow me to be on my way. If they answer "Yes", do you think the excuse that the officer did not know what I was doing was legal would fulfill reasonable and articulable suspicion to make the detainment legal in court? The state expects me to know every law of the state and ordinance of the municipality and abide by them, otherwise I am subject to penalty. It's not my responsibility to educate police officers, respectfully.
    Last edited by NavyLCDR; 01-16-2012 at 09:54 PM.

I was recruited by the PD immediately after returning from my tour in Vietnam. Unfortunately, many law enforcement officers are put on the street without knowing all of the laws of that particular state. I grew up in Washington DC where guns were illegal, so when I was discharged in a different state, I never knew that Open Carrying a weapon was legal in other places and, had I ever come face to face with someone wearing a gun on their hip, I would have probably asked, "Why are you wearing that gun?"

I was an extremely friendly cop, but I was young and would have responded defensively if given any of the aforementioned answers. However, had the person said, "Are you unaware that, in this state, it is legal for me to wear a gun on my hip without a license?", I probably would have been embarrassed but I believe I would have responded in a friendly manner and, at the end of the day, thankful to the OCer.

The fact is, the police are our allies and we are theirs. Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule and there are those who we referred to on the PD as "cowboys", but they are relatively few. However, in the event that you are confronted with a "cowboy", responding sarcastically will probably diminish their opinion of all OCers and make your situation more difficult than need be.

We provide our members with Idaho gun laws and encourage them to have the laws available whenever they Open Carry just in case they are confronted with a recent military veteran from an OC restricted state, who just joined the PD and who has no idea that it is legal to Open Carry. Open Carry is a public relations war and we are the front lines. Treat the officer like you would want to be treated. If they are ignorant of the gun laws, it is their departments fault for not educating them sufficiently, not the officer’s. Win them over and make them an ally; they will appreciate it and you will soon be on your way (much sooner than if you were sarcastic).

Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    Here is the Missouri statute for unlawful use of a weapon. RSMo 571.030

My little town's ordinance is almost verbatim of the state statute. The 'you can not' parts are short and to the point. Easily found and easily recalled from memory. Either the LEO, who is 'unaware', is not intellectually capable of recalling these simple statutes or he chooses not to abide by them. There can be no other logical explanation. I found them, and after several minutes of study I can recall them almost verbatim.

And why should I give a rats rear-end what the 'cowboy' officer's opinion of OCer's is, he is a cowboy by your own account and not interested in the OCer or the OCer's right to self defense. I find 'cowboy' LEOs not worth my time to either educate or 'win over'. If ignorance of the law is no excuse, then this axiom should be especially applicable to a 'law' enforcement officer. Good cops, in my view, likely know the laws there by justifying there good cop classification.

Cowboy LEOs are few and far between from my perspective, and thankfully so, but we mere citizens cannot tell the difference between a good LEO and a bad LEO just by looking at them. Especially so in those jurisdictions where our right to self defense is almost nonexistent.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    I will agree to a point but ingnorance of ones JOB doesn't make an excuse. I hope you never have a surgeon that doesn't know their job. I also think that if they attended the acadamy they should know the laws before being released onto the street. This would be defined as educational failure on either the student or the education system be it medical, law enforcement, or any training required to do a job.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Here is the Missouri statute for unlawful use of a weapon. RSMo 571.030

My little town's ordinance is almost verbatim of the state statute. The 'you can not' parts are short and to the point. Easily found and easily recalled from memory. Either the LEO, who is 'unaware', is not intellectually capable of recalling these simple statutes or he chooses not to abide by them. There can be no other logical explanation. I found them, and after several minutes of study I can recall them almost verbatim.

And why should I give a rats rear-end what the 'cowboy' officer's opinion of OCer's is, he is a cowboy by your own account and not interested in the OCer or the OCer's right to self defense. I find 'cowboy' LEOs not worth my time to either educate or 'win over'. If ignorance of the law is no excuse, then this axiom should be especially applicable to a 'law' enforcement officer. Good cops, in my view, likely know the laws there by justifying there good cop classification.

Cowboy LEOs are few and far between from my perspective, and thankfully so, but we mere citizens cannot tell the difference between a good LEO and a bad LEO just by looking at them. Especially so in those jurisdictions where our right to self defense is almost nonexistent.
    Unfortunately, AL's OC laws aren't so clear. However, I agree with your "cowboy" comments. What I did take from IOC's post is his comments about being sarcastic to LEOs. This I have to take to heart due to my brand of humor, which could be interpreted as sarcastic, or worse, disrespect.

Good stuff in this thread, I appreciate it!

Tony Snesko, Founder
    Idaho Open Carry
    I can totally sympathize with these points, and can feel the officer's pain in these situations. But most of the police that I've come across have been natives of their own state, so to assume that a police officer that is confronting me is from another state seems ridiculous to me.

And I wish I could say that it surprises me that a police officer would be ignorant of the law, but it doesn't. The police get rewarded for arresting people, but they don't get rewarded for knowing the law and leaving law abiding citizens alone. So it's no surprise that an officer that has any doubt is going to make an arrest and let the courts or the DA handle it, possibly costing the LAC thousands of dollars in court costs, lawyer fees and lots of time. It costs the officer a few minutes of paperwork, and maybe a couple more hours in court if they have to be a witness.

What incentive does a police officer have to know the law? Very little, except to save himself a bit of embarassment.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

"Because if I carried you around with me everywhere to keep me safe I'd eventually get charged with kidnapping."

Because me carrying you around is starting to be a burden on my wallet buying you doughnuts which increases the burden on my back, over time.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

I'd rather carry a firearm than the weight of a guilty conscience.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them both.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

So I don't become a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbuck90 View Post
    I usually respond by asking "you wear your seatbelt don't you?", when they say yes I ask "why don't you just put it on before an accident?" That usually shuts 'em up
    Great response, sums up the point with fewer words than I usually do. I might need to use this one!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415