• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I’m a gun owner and trained with explosives I wonder how many lists I’m on?

Should I decide to stop being the Jimmy Olsen type and start being more like Lex Luther, woah! Look out.

Not gonna happen.

Capability simply does not, in no way, manner, shape, or form translate into will. "Can" and "will" are two entirely different things.

TheRatt

My answer to a LEO “because I swore an oath to protect my country our way of life and it citizens.”

To a civilian “its like a seatbelt something you put on hoping and praying you’ll take it off with out needing it!” I would then tell them about the laws and invite them out to the range

Haz.

"A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring." (Proverbs 25:26).

I'm not troubled, neither am I corrupt, and I refuse to fall before the wicked! Haz.

DangerClose

Officer: "Why are you carrying a gun?"

Me: "Why are you?"

I like that one and similar ones to it. I don't think it's condescending or anything if you say it right, plus, it should give them something to think about.

I hope people aren't actually saying most of the things in this thread. Try not to be condescending if you can make the situation into a learning experience. And some of the "Founding Fathers this, Constitution that" stuff is going to go right over a lot of people's heads or maybe come across as "crazy militia guy." Dumb it down and keep it simple, and you will probably have a better chance of winning people over.

Someone had a good answer in I think the WI forum and a run-in with a person next to them at a grocery store. I'll have to dig for it later.

Centerfire Citizen

Just little one-liners to say.

-For the same reason seatbelts are in cars and not at home in a safe.

-Because cops dont move at 1000fps. (enter your own fps)

carry for myself

today at the bank i was filling out a deposit slip when a older woman stood next to me and started filling out one for herself. she glanced to her left and saw my 1911.......

"excuse me young man, guns kill why do you need one?"

i looked over at her and said "if my gun kills, your pencil mis-spells words" ..glanced at her slip and said......."bad pencil!, you mis spelt *fifty*......bad pencil"

and walked up to the counter to say hello to the chuckling teller and deposit my money :)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
today at the bank i was filling out a deposit slip when a older woman stood next to me and started filling out one for herself. she glanced to her left and saw my 1911.......

i looked over at her and said "if my gun kills, your pencil mis-spells words" ..glanced at her slip and said......."bad pencil!, you mis spelt *fifty*......bad pencil"

and walked up to the counter to say hello to the chuckling teller and deposit my money :)

You could have also replied, "Well I sure hope so otherwise this thing on my hip is completely useless".

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Got into a pleasant conversation at a Taco Bell last week with an older gentleman and his son who I would guess to be in is later 20's. They were gun owners and liked to do fast draw and shoot practice at the NRA range in Fairfax, VA. At one point the father asked me why I carried my gun like that (open). I first told him about the osteoarthritis in both legs precludes me from running or fighting as I was once capable of doing and then I added;

"So I don't have to use it".

Last edited:

acmariner99

"Why do you have that gun?"
"Because I hate fighting"
"Looks like you want to get into a fight to me!"
"Criminals prefer easy targets. Do I look like an easy target?"

"Is that real?"
"Wouldn't do me a lot of good if it weren't!"

"Do you have a permit for that?"
"Yes the 2nd Amendment!"

"That's scary!"
"bad guys are scarier and the thought of a bad guy hurting myself or those I love is scarier still. Suddenly the gun doesn't become so scary yes?"

"Do you really think you will need that?"
"I don't THINK I am going to need it, but I have it should the need become necessary"

"Why not just call the cops?"
"Excuse me mr robber, stay right there while I call the police -- yeah, that'll work"

"The police will protect you, it is their job!"
"Police ensure public order, not the security of a given individual -- unless you are the mayor of a big city or the President."

"You don't trust the government do you?"
"I don't trust the government can ensure my safety in a moment of crisis. If they could, you would have a hard time convincing me we have any liberty at all."

Last edited:

Daylen

"Why do you have that gun?"
"Because I hate fighting"
"Looks like you want to get into a fight to me!"
"Criminals prefer easy targets. Do I look like an easy target?"

"Is that real?"
"Wouldn't do me a lot of good if it weren't!"

"Do you have a permit for that?"
"Yes the 2nd Amendment!"

"That's scary!"
"bad guys are scarier and the thought of a bad guy hurting myself or those I love is scarier still. Suddenly the gun doesn't become so scary yes?"

"Do you really think you will need that?"
"I don't THINK I am going to need it, but I have it should the need become necessary"

"Why not just call the cops?"
"Excuse me mr robber, stay right there while I call the police -- yeah, that'll work"

"The police will protect you, it is their job!"
"Police ensure public order, not the security of a given individual -- unless you are the mayor of a big city or the President."

"You don't trust the government do you?"
"I don't trust the government can ensure my safety in a moment of crisis. If they could, you would have a hard time convincing me we have any liberty at all."

Weird. I have personally had that exact conversation (bolded).

gunns

Why am I carrying this firearm?

Because my tank is too big to drive between the lines.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

When they come right out of the blocks with insulting, absurd lies; I don't hold back.

"I hope you learn the truth by idly watching your children die."

I will NOT be insulted for having common-sense while they shirk their civic duty. Children or none, it's a brutal thought.

My less in-your-face version: [spoken while looking at their kids or stroller, instead of them] "If I were the bad guy you accuse me of being; what could you do about it? [always leaves them speechless, so you can say a few more words] Good thing we both know you're dead wrong. My kids are more valuable than some political faction's sick agenda. Don't insult me for loving my children more than you love yours."

Add or subtract as many of the follow up sentences as you like... People like this need the point driven home by something harsh and horrible. Brutal reality is the only thing that, sometimes, breaks through their political programming. Being nice doesn't work on them. Figuratively, give them both barrels. Don't hold back. People like this are stone-cold apologists for their faction's agenda, or they can be shocked into realizing they're supporting bullsh!t above their own children. If their brain is capable of being shocked into working, that'll do it. If not, they're beyond hope anyway... Nothing will ever reach them.

It's for their own good... I've done it twice. Left a woman in tears, but 20 minutes later she told me I was right and apologized... Dunno if the other one ever figured it out.

SovereignAxe

When they come right out of the blocks with insulting, absurd lies; I don't hold back.

"I hope you learn the truth by idly watching your children die."

I will NOT be insulted for having common-sense while they shirk their civic duty. Children or none, it's a brutal thought.

My less in-your-face version: [spoken while looking at their kids or stroller, instead of them] "If I were the bad guy you accuse me of being; what could you do about it? [always leaves them speechless, so you can say a few more words] Good thing we both know you're dead wrong. My kids are more valuable than some political faction's sick agenda. Don't insult me for loving my children more than you love yours."

Add or subtract as many of the follow up sentences as you like... People like this need the point driven home by something harsh and horrible. Brutal reality is the only thing that, sometimes, breaks through their political programming. Being nice doesn't work on them. Figuratively, give them both barrels. Don't hold back. People like this are stone-cold apologists for their faction's agenda, or they can be shocked into realizing they're supporting bullsh!t above their own children. If their brain is capable of being shocked into working, that'll do it. If not, they're beyond hope anyway... Nothing will ever reach them.

It's for their own good... I've done it twice. Left a woman in tears, but 20 minutes later she told me I was right and apologized... Dunno if the other one ever figured it out.

you absolutely must tell that story lol

gravedigger

Why do you carry a gun?

Why do YOU carry a cellular phone?

(puzzled look) Because when I need to make a call or someone needs to call me, it is right there!

Do you need to make a call right at this moment?

Well, no.

Are you expecting someone to call you right at this moment?

No.

So what I hear you saying is, you will carry a phone all day long, every day, even though you may never need to make or answer a call, but it makes you more comfortable to know that the phone is on your hip at all times should the situation arise unexpectedly.

Right.

Now what was your question?