• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

County Clerk dragging Feet on CPL

stainless1911

Banned
The deposition on my case was January 25, so my suspension was technically ended Sunday at midnight. Yesterday morning I went to pick up my CPL with the dated suspension form from the weapons board in hand. I was told by one of the members of the board that I should bring this in, and that they should just give the license back. The county clerk told me that they would contact me within 48 hours after they asked the police if it was ok.

What should I do if this starts to drag out?

The incident, (which I was never guilty of), happened in late November 09. I received the notification of suspension on December 9 2009, from the board. So Ive been carrying under 234d and 231a since Dec. 9. That's a really long 6 months.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
The deposition on my case was January 25, so my suspension was technically ended Sunday at midnight. Yesterday morning I went to pick up my CPL with the dated suspension form from the weapons board in hand. I was told by one of the members of the board that I should bring this in, and that they should just give the license back. The county clerk told me that they would contact me within 48 hours after they asked the police if it was ok.

What should I do if this starts to drag out?

The incident, (which I was never guilty of), happened in late November 09. I received the notification of suspension on December 9 2009, from the board. So Ive been carrying under 234d and 231a since Dec. 9. That's a really long 6 months.

I think it will work out. Although you wouldn't assume that you should have, perhaps you should have gone down shortly BEFORE the suspension ended so that everything was determined to be "legal" beforehand? They really should have told you this, if that is the "policy".

stainless1911

Banned
they really diddnt tell me anything except that the suspension diddnt "officially" start until the 25th of Jan. I wasn't even sure where to pick up the CPL except that Im freinds with one of the board members, and asked him via email.

I just want to put this behind me and move on.

autosurgeon

County clerks are notoriously uninformed about CPL Law. We have had a similar issue with ours down here in Van Buren County over a transfer from an out of state CPL to a MI CPL... should have been done in one day took 10...

stainless1911

Banned
I went to the courthouse and got the register of action, and then gave that to the clerk because it listed the date of the courts decision, the ruling, the suspension length and so on. The clerk, was very nice, and professional, explained to me that they actually did know the dates, and that I was correct, that my suspension had ended on July 25, but she was waiting for an email response from the sergeant confirming it. I assume that the police have to do something to reactivate the license, probably so that it will show up as valid in the LEIN and other computer systems. The clerk also said that this would take place within 48 hours, so hopefully by 11:30am tomorrow, I'll be good to go. IMO, since they set up this suspension, knowing full well the date that it was to end, that this should have been done already so that my license could be picked up as soon as they opened for business yesterday morning.

Agent1

Great news! I'll bet you could feel the weight lifted from your shoulders!

I had a situation happen to me about 10 years ago that put me in a simular spot. (Too long of a story to hi-jack your post.) It felt good to get it all straightened out in the end.

stainless1911

Banned
lol Im not worried about breaking any laws, I wasnt the first time, but lightning has been known to strike twice in the same place. So keeping that in mind, I am obviously a little leery. I do carry a recorder, and if I OC at a school, I'll try to have a witness. If we don't carry as a result of fear, even though we are abiding by the law, then our rights are in serious peril.

stainless1911

Banned
I'm just glad I made it through the last 7 months under the more restrictive posession and transportation laws. I OCed everyday, had a several LEO encounters, and even made it through one traffic stop where the officer was looking into the transport laws. Luckily I kept a copy of 231a and 234d in the car, and was able to read it back to him. That one was really nerve wracking. Really close.