• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The next big thing for Crowd Control in the US...

Dreamer

Well, it seems that the LRAD "Sound Cannons" developed by the DOD in the 1990's,which have recently been re-deployed for civilian law enforcement use at events like the G20 protests in Pittsburgh and in Canada have only whetted the appetite for Law Enforcement's ever-growing desire for power, control, and the ability to inflict pain on citizens in a manner that doesn't leave marks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/l...nic-cannon-debuts-in-u-s-at-g20-pro/19174241/

The "Active Denial System", or "pain ray" as they call it on the streets of Afghanistan, is a new, even MORE painful technology that has been 20 years in the making. The DOD has been testing this out in the Gulf for a long time, but recently decided to pull them ALL out of the theater, and ship them back to the CONUS.

Maybe they're gearing up for the next G20 event. Or maybe they'll be deployed at the next anti-war protest. Or maybe we'll see (and feel) these at the next big OC rally.

Plan on seeing (and perhaps experiencing) these delightful devices at a major political event in the VERY near future...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1297361/US-withdraws-pain-ray-Afghan-war-zone.html

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/07/pain-ray-recalled-from-afghanistan/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Aren't you proud of your Government?

Gotta love the "kinder, gentler" America...

Last edited:

BerettaFS92Custom

off topic?

This is off topic unless tou can fit the ray gun in a holster on your hip.:rolleyes:

hmm news and POLITICAL ALERTS this is news. i see no harm in the info provided to let us know about the police becoming more "para-military" unless you like them lol

even though not DIRECTLY about OC/CC and RKBA it is interesting that the technology is evolving. guess we will need sound deflectors on our guns LMAO

Last edited:

Dreamer

For anyone who may attend a 2A rally, or a Tea Party event, or those big "Lobbiest Day" events that they have in Richmond every year, I think this topic is VERY on-topic...

I just thought folks might like to know, the next time they were at a rally, and some big truck rolled up, and they had an intensely painful sensation like their skin was on fire, exactly WHAT was going on...

Be prepared folks. This is not an "if they will use it" situation. It's just a matter of "when they will use it".

The 2A and Constitutionalist movements are officially seen as the biggest threat to the current political status quo. If they will use "sound cannons" on a bunch of tree-hugging dirt worshipers in Pittsburgh, they will not hesitate to use this sort of thing on a bunch of "empty holster" protesters in MD, NY, Chicago, or DC soon.

"Praemonitus, praemunitus."

Bobarino

the only good thing about these things is, a couple of well placed shots will disable them. LRAD range is ~300m. Activee Denial System range: 700m max. range of my long range rifle: 1,000m+

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
the only good thing about these things is, a couple of well placed shots will disable them. LRAD range is ~300m. Activee Denial System range: 700m max. range of my long range rifle: 1,000m+

It is not polite, nor is it good policy, to suggest illegal acts on this board. It may even be a violation of TOS and get you banned.

merc460

I saw that "Microwave on wheels" on Modern Weapons last night. Unbelievable! Makes you wonder if there just happens to be a knob in there that changes the frequency so it goes deeper than the advertised 1/64" :shocker:

Dreamer

Are you saying we need to carry earplugs and noise cancelling headphones?

That will work to protect you against LRAD, but not ADS. ADS is a millimeter-wave directed energy weapon. It heats up the water and fat in your skin 1/64" below the surface, to give the sensation that you are burning or on fire. Supposedly, the effect is temporary with no long-term effects...

Short of wearing some sort of Faraday Cage that will block millimeter waves, there is nothing that will defend against it...

Excrutiating pain. Absolute compliance. Leaves no marks. And it's every bit as "less-than-lethal" as a Tazer...

This thing is the ultimate sociopathic sadist's playtoy. The person who invented this device will probably win a Nobel Peace Prize...

The DOD decided they are too "controversial" to use on rioting insurgents in a war zone, so they've removed them from military service, and are shipping them all back to the CONUS. Most likely they will enter the DOD-DOJ Technology Transfer program (like the LRADs) and be parceled out to civilian LEAs.

Ain't America Great?

VFORVENDETTA

50 cal bmg will take those devices out!

That will work to protect you against LRAD, but not ADS. ADS is a millimeter-wave directed energy weapon. It heats up the water and fat in your skin 1/64" below the surface, to give the sensation that you are burning or on fire. Supposedly, the effect is temporary with no long-term effects...

Short of wearing some sort of Faraday Cage that will block millimeter waves, there is nothing that will defend against it...

Excrutiating pain. Absolute compliance. Leaves no marks. And it's every bit as "less-than-lethal" as a Tazer...

This thing is the ultimate sociopathic sadist's playtoy. The person who invented this device will probably win a Nobel Peace Prize...

The DOD decided they are too "controversial" to use on rioting insurgents in a war zone, so they've removed them from military service, and are shipping them all back to the CONUS. Most likely they will enter the DOD-DOJ Technology Transfer program (like the LRADs) and be parceled out to civilian LEAs.

Ain't America Great?
50bmg

Michigander

I don't know of a single case of OCers being threatened by less lethal force, only drawn guns, or very readily unlocked guns with hands on grips. (Perhaps less lethal force has been threatened or applied to "UOC" people in California, but I don't even count that as a form of carry.) When you deal in lead, so does an oppressive police force. The escalation of force goes up, not back down.

This is an excellent invention to disperse a truly problematic crowd that isn't heavily armed. Compared to the 60's, this system is a fantastic, life saving idea. It will indeed be an issue to make sure excessive force is never used without proper consequences to offending officers, but that's nothing new or unusual.

Bobarino

i seem to recall an Amendment to our Constitution that goes a little something like this:

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Number 18 I believe. Seems to be a violation of this Amendment to use this as it is, in my opinion, cruel and unusual, especially BEFORE someone has been convicted of a crime for which they might be punished.

Not that any government entities really pay any attention to that pesky Constitution anymore...

kwikrnu

Banned
That lrad doesn't seem to work all that good for the Japanese in Whale Wars. I doubt protestors are going to be affected much. The microwave deal maybe.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
That is what I'm thinking...... maybe put my ipod in then some good muffs....

That won't, it uses microwave energy to create a burning sensation. The sound device will not be thwarted either.

Besides, this whole post is bull$h!t. The govt' isn't going to develop and deploy devices like these, that do no permanent damage, when they have tear gas, rubber bullets, beanbag guns, and tasers for domestic issues.

The military expirimented with these, rather than outfit units with less lethal weapons, because in combat zones you're setting yourself up for failure carrying anything but lead.