• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trading .45 in

SleepyTime

My 45 has proven to be too bulky. I'm looking for a very light (slim) 9mm to carry. Any suggestions as far as weight/reliability? the 45 has nice stopping power but I'd rather have something where if I had to run I could.

boyscout399

My 45 has proven to be too bulky. I'm looking for a very light (slim) 9mm to carry. Any suggestions as far as weight/reliability? the 45 has nice stopping power but I'd rather have something where if I had to run I could.

Walther PPS perhaps. Very slim.

Glock 19 has more capacity and isn't much wider. A good quality holster and belt help a great deal. I CC'd a full size Heckler and Koch HK45 for a year and no one ever knew I had it. I was even patted down twice and the pistol was not discovered.

damienrr

Walther PPS perhaps. Very slim.

Glock 19 has more capacity and isn't much wider. A good quality holster and belt help a great deal. I CC'd a full size Heckler and Koch HK45 for a year and no one ever knew I had it. I was even patted down twice and the pistol was not discovered.

Ruger's SR9 is really slim with high cap. And they make a compact now. Reasonably priced too.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I'd recommend a Taurus PT709. It's a 9mm, VERY thing, and has a single-stack 7+1 magazine. The recoil is very light, as is the pistol itself, and is VERY concealable. The only problems I've ever had with it were right out of the box. I (stupidly) did not clean it prior to firing it, and every magazine had at least 2 FTE's. After a few mags I stripped it, and it was the DIRTIEST I have ever seen a gun almost new out of the box. I think Taurus used half a bottle of oil before they sent it from Brazil. After a good scrub, it fires perfectly!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran

You don't state your price range or other preferences beyond slim and lighter. I'll just mention that my Kimber Ultra Carry II which is regular 1911 width, quite light weight, is very accurate even at 25 yds, carries 7+1 of. 45 acp has been completely reliable after thousands of rounds and actually had a FTE for the first time this weekend when my wife limp wristed it terribly causing a stove pipe. She took off her Isotoner gloves and blew through 2 mags like she was running a speed drill and it performed flawlessly as usual.

It's slimmer and I think lighter than my XD45 compact and is my favored carry gun (although it is actually my wife's and since she just took her CCW class this weekend, I will likely have to use something else day to day - we can't OC in our town of residence )

yz9890

the slimline G36 is narrower than the standard glocks if you want to stay with 45acp. only 6+1 though if that matters to you. lots of single stack 9mm choices that are crazy easy to conceal. Keltec pf9, sig p290, ruger lc9, Khar pm9 come to mind but there are others. if I had to chose among those, I'd pick the Khar. sweet gun after you break it in. it has a cheaper and only slightly larger brother called the cw9 that I hear great things about as well. pf9 is probably the cheapest ($240-$260) and it still has a great reputation.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

Well, I suppose it would help greatly if you were more specific. What .45 do you have now that is too bulky/thick?

If it's a typical single-stack .45, than none of these compact-but-high-capacity 9mm's are going to be any slimmer.

What does running have to do with weapon selection, aside from precluding ankle holsters?

I'm a big fan of slim, but I also prefer a grip that I can fit my entire hand on. The pinky on the bottom of a grip helps tremendously when it comes to shootability.

And then there's the mandatory parameter when it comes to asking for suggestions: Do you have a budget?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Why are all these old threads getting necro bumped. Start new topics. Don't resurrect threads from a year ago.

Good eye. With all the necro-posting lately I need to look more closely at the OP dates. I didn't even notice how old the OP was. Thanks for pointing it out and reminding us to pay more attention to that.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, me too! I was wondering why I'd not seen the OP around before...