• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got flagged by a kid at the range today...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was at the Dominion range today to do a shooting lesson for a client. It was his first time there so we were talking about range safety. We were upstairs by the viewing window looking down at the range. While talking, I glanced down at the range and saw an older gentleman hand a silver compact semi-auto to a boy about 12 years old. The boy fired a few rounds, and I glanced away. I looked back and the kid had spun about 160 degrees and had the gun casually aimed right at me. As I was saying "oh crap!" to myself, the older gentleman yelled something and grabbed the kid and spun him back towards the downrange area.

I'm not sure who had a bigger "oh crap" moment...me, the older gentleman, or the kid. My client turned and said "yeah, I see what you mean now about safety at the range!".

:)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It may be, and probably already is, but I wasn't in the mood to test it!

Yes, it's bullet-resistant acrylic. But there's no need to test either the window or the public restroom facilities.

Bad on you, Jim for not noticing right away that you and your customer were being flagged. Bad on the older gentleman for not keeping his attention on the young shooter.

Glad everyone came away with a better understanding of how to behave.

stay safe.

Mr H

I was at the Dominion range today to do a shooting lesson for a client. It was his first time there so we were talking about range safety. We were upstairs by the viewing window looking down at the range. While talking, I glanced down at the range and saw an older gentleman hand a silver compact semi-auto to a boy about 12 years old. The boy fired a few rounds, and I glanced away. I looked back and the kid had spun about 160 degrees and had the gun casually aimed right at me. As I was saying "oh crap!" to myself, the older gentleman yelled something and grabbed the kid and spun him back towards the downrange area.

I'm not sure who had a bigger "oh crap" moment...me, the older gentleman, or the kid. My client turned and said "yeah, I see what you mean now about safety at the range!".

:)

Sounds like you were meant to have a practicum with your student.

;-))

Glad it wasn't more than just an object lesson!!

curtiswr

I went on Saturday. Went as soon as they opened... avoided most of the heat and all of the bozos.

Glad it wasn't anything more than it being pointed at you!

karolynrgalarza

I almost got hit in the head/face multiple times at the Chantilly gun show in April this year by the muzzle of a rifle. I was signing up to join VCDL and some guy came by at the same time (stayed for like 10 minutes) with his rifle slung on his shoulder. He had no muzzle awareness whatsoever. I almost got hit like 5 separate times, and the guy who was signing me up almost got hit too.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Bad on you, Jim for not noticing right away that you and your customer were being flagged.

Oh I noticed right away, or as quick as could be noticed. I was just engaged in conversation and wasn't expecting to get flagged from my perch on high. I love to watch folks from there and diagnose their shooting difficulties (quietly, to myself). Its a nice spot to view whether or not its safe to descend the stairs to the range. :)

The older gentleman seemed to have a good handle on correcting the issue quick enough.

nova

I almost got hit in the head/face multiple times at the Chantilly gun show in April this year by the muzzle of a rifle. I was signing up to join VCDL and some guy came by at the same time (stayed for like 10 minutes) with his rifle slung on his shoulder. He had no muzzle awareness whatsoever. I almost got hit like 5 separate times, and the guy who was signing me up almost got hit too.

don't worry, that's what the gun show's "no loaded firearms" policy is for!

[/sarcasm]

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I had something similar to this happen to me around five or six years ago. I was at the outdoor range where I am a member on lane six. It was a light day, not too many people on the range, however there were two range officers on duty. One of them was new to me and he had set up on lane eight to shoot his .35 Remington lever action rifle when the other officer was monitoring the range. At one point, I was firing free hand from a standing position and caught something out of my right peripheral vision. As I turned my head more to the right, I saw this "range master" sitting on his seat, examining the breach of his rifle, with the muzzle pointing at my head. I shouted at him and almost immediately the other officer saw it and also said something to him. He has never been back to the range when I have been there, so I suspect his days were numbered there.

nova

when I was at the national forest range near Blacksburg the range was called cold, people were downrange checking targets. I then start hearing the "click" of a gun being dry fired. I look over and see someone dry firing while pointing it downrange where people were checking targets.

I corrected him.

Last edited:

wylde007

Officials at the gun show say vendors are supposed to make sure all their firearms are not loaded and that cable ties are used to secure the weapon so they cannot be fired.
Somebody's got a case of the "s'posed-ta"s.

Revoke the privilege and ban the vendor from future shows.