• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland County CPL Survey

Sefner

So he used his access to the database with the addresses of CPL applicants for this mailer? I like Sheriff Bouchard but that might rub a lot of people the wrong way... And I don't know the legalities of using his access to the database for this (it isn't a campaign mailer, but it sure sounds like one)...

Either way, Oakland County is great when it comes to CPL applications, kudos to Sheriff Bouchard on that!

Clicked on the survey, I don't live in Oakland County, but the survey is pretty cool. It asks for your zip code (I'm assuming it's to keep people like me who don't live there from screwing up the results).

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I don't know the last time when I got a letter with a picture of the person sending it, let alone a picture as large as the one he has on there. Oh wait a minute, I have recieved letters like this before: Campaign Literature.

I would be concerned about accessing CPL information for political reasons. In fact, is this legal? Under MCL 28.425b, information regarding name, address, and other "personal identifying information received by the concealed weapon licensing board under this subdivision is confidential, and is not subject to disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246, and shall not be disclosed to any person except for purposes of this act or for law enforcement purposes or if the applicant is convicted of a felony involving a pistol."

I think it's a stretch to say it's for law enforcement purposes. How does his letter do anything other than further his political career? Did he send out this questionnaire during any of the other years he has been sheriff, or only in the year he is running in a close primary race for governor?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Although I gave them reasonably high marks, I used the comments portion to let them know that I feel that a person should not have to ask permission to use, and then pay for their God given constitutionally acknowledged rights.

Taurus850CIA

Despite the fact that this man has been tremendously helpful personally and to us as a group, such use of access to these records smacks of typical LEO entitlement. I am disappointed.

Michigander

Despite the fact that this man has been tremendously helpful personally and to us as a group, such use of access to these records smacks of typical LEO entitlement. I am disappointed.

I agree to an extent, in that my address is none of his damn business. But with Michigan law as it stands, his agency is responsible for granting me the pretend right (privilege) of paying for a drastically slow to arrive CPL. He has the information, and doesn't need a search warrant to look at it. I gave it to him. If he wants suggestions about how to better satisfy me as a customer of his agency (as he puts it) I'm happy to give him a dose of my anger and frustration over the month I had to wait, as well as how stupid I think Michigan laws are.

There is more I don't like about him too, but I'll keep that to myself since it's off topic. He is a great person to have as the Sheriff of Oakland county. But he won't be getting my vote for governor.

NHCGRPR45

i have 2 things to say about this.

1. mr bouchard did not want "shall issue" law to pass. a direct quote "I'll decide who gets a ccw in my county"
2. i think a quality assurance questionaire is ok, don't know for certain and i can't cite any law about it.

also when sherriff hackle and PA mark smith ran i got mailers from both telling me what a love fest they had with CPL and 2A issues.

o.k. so thats 3 things, sorry.

eastmeyers

1. mr bouchard did not want "shall issue" law to pass. a direct quote "I'll decide who gets a ccw in my county"

I don't get it, this site is normally so intellectually honest. Except right before every primary and every election, then it becomes a joke. Who knows considering this exact statement has been said a few times on this site and been debunked every time. I'm not even going to do it this time, who ever wants can look it up them selfs. I am tired of people not siting their "quotes" and me having to proof their tom foolery wrong...

Okay screw it here it is, and take notes because this is how you quote someone (they actually have to say it).

Q. Can you explain the article from the Detroit Free Press saying you were anti-CCW when it passed?
A. "Sure, I was asked when this bill is moving, what's your thoughts? I was the Sheriff, and I said I have problems with some of the language in the bill, because the language required me to check mental health records. I can't do that by law. Under Health Privacy act I can't access mental health records or any kind of health records. So I said I have a problem with the language that requires me to do something I can't do. That aside, I have always been a supporter of concealed weapons and the right to carry. In any bill you have to get your language right. I received an A+ from the NRA in 1998 when I ran for Senate."
http://www.mcrgopac.org/interview_bouchard.html (bam)

Last edited:

Michigander

i have 2 things to say about this.

1. mr bouchard did not want "shall issue" law to pass. a direct quote "I'll decide who gets a ccw in my county"./QUOTE]

Since that directly contradicts what he told me over the phone (he's a politician, wouldn't be surprising), I'd love it if you could cite a link to him being quoted for saying that.