• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Question

jrmyclry1

Hello everyone,

I know this site is all about open carry, but since I am under "General Discussion" I thought I might be able to inquire about my current CPL dilemma. In 2008 my soon to be ex-wife was mad about me filing for divorce and the fact that I had a new girlfriend. She came to "my" residence (I was at home minding my own business) and started trouble (never did I go to her place looking for trouble). When she left she went to the police station and filed charges against me stating that I had assaulted her. The police never came to my house and I was never arrested. I was sent a letter in the mail stating I needed to come to court. When I did there was no evidence that assault was committed but I guess they were required to put me on 6 months probation where afterwards the assault charge would be deferred. She had also gotten a PPO against me which I fought and got dropped immediately as the judge saw no threat since she was sitting right next to me in court. Here it is 2 years later and I am being denied my CPL because of this charge. Is there anything I can say or do to help my case when I go to the next gun board meeting? Would I be wasting my time? Do you think they might reconsider? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dreamer

You need to speak with an attorney. ASAP. It will cost a little, but you can probably get this cleared up if no charges were made and the PPO was found to be groundless.

eye95

If you were given 6 months of probation, there was some kind of conviction. I imagine you made one of these deals where, if you stay clean for 6 months, they'll dismiss the charges. Unfortunately, no matter what they say, there will be consequences for your guilty or no lo plea.

Folks have said to get a lawyer. Good advice.

Better advice: Folks stop making these plea deals where stuff "goes away." It never really "goes away." If you didn't do it (or they can't prove it), don't say you did!

jrmyclry1

I'm not sure thats the case. I have been to the local sheriffs dept. to get purchase permits a couple of times and had no issues. If they didn't even want me possessing then they would never had issued a purchase permit......

Gunslinger

Probation is a sentence. You pled or agreed to a guilty verdict for that to happen. Are you sure it wasn't 6 months deferred 'judgement'? If so, you have no conviction and can motion for expungement of the arrest to that same court. In some states all you need is a domestic violence charge to be denied a CCW. If found guilty, you will NEVER get a CCW in any state. And the chances of expungement are nil.