• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Notify officer of CHP even if not carrying concealed?

farkles

Another item I am unfortunately unsure of. I know to never trust the CC instructor, but I'm pretty sure mine mentioned "anytime you are approached by law enforcement in their official duties, you must notify them you have a CHP, even if you are unarmed."

I have had my CHP for nearly 5 years, and a few times I was unarmed and did actually notify them. Upon my further reading, it appears that you only have to notify the officer if you are carrying concealed at the time you are approached on official business. Is this how you read it as well?

Not really sure any other way to read it, but always like other's opinions on the law in theory and then in practice. Once again, CC instructor blowing smoke?

----------------------
14#8209;415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.
---------------------

My ultimate question that I am trying to get at is this: With NC not being a "stop and ID state" (I think), if we are open carrying (and not CC'ing as well), do we have to show ID, tell name, or any other information to police when stopped while walking (obviously driving is a different story)?

Can we actually leave our house and walk anywhere (or be driven anywhere by someone else) while OC'ing without ID?

Dreamer

14#8209;415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.

The statute is VERY clear. When you are CC, you need to notify that you 1) have a permit, and 2) are carrying.

If you are not carrying, there is no requirement to notify.

If you are OC, there is no requirement to notify.

acritical

When to notify

You only need to notify that you have a CCP when you are actually carrying concealed. Otherwise they do not care. To mention to LEO that you have a permit automatically gives them the impression that you have a firearm on you.

If you are not carrying LEO does not care, nor is it their business that you have a CCP.

REDFIVE48

I would notify if they are going to run your info

My buddy is a State Trooper and he said it's a good idea to notify if they are going to run your info (traffic stop, not just a random walk up or something). He said some of his friends like to play the following game:
In this case, person not carrying and didn't notify:
"I see you are a Concealed Weapon Permit holder, do you have your firearm on you?"
"No"
"Well why not? What good is it doing you at home?"

:)

Adam H

This is just my two cents, but if you are not carrying, I would recommend informing the officer that you have a CHP and that you are not carrying if you are driving your own car and you are stopped or if they are going to run your driver's license. The reason for this is because your permit is tied to your license plate and your driver's license. I've rode with some LEOs and when they run a tag, it will come back that the registered owner has a "CCW".

On an unrelated note, I know a LEO and he once told me that while they legally can't seize your firearm during a traffic stop, they are told to ask for it anyway and that most people consent.