Thread: Open Carry on American Pickers?

Open Carry on American Pickers?

There is a show on the History Channel called American Pickers. It airs right before Pawn Stars, a show on which we have already seen open carry.

On this most recent episode of American Pickers (7/26/10) They visited a guy wearing a revolver on his belt, cross draw. He did have a badge, and I attempted to read it several times, even with a paused DVR, but found it impossible. What got me is they never mentioned that he was LEO, retired or not, but they did mention the gun. A few times in fact. Mike even said "I feel like we're in a scene from tombstone or something. We're walking down a street in Kansas and you've got a gun on your hip". The reactions and lack of information on a LEO status leads me to believe this guy was probably just OC'ing with a CCW or otherwise badge.

They were in El Dorado, Kansas. Anyone else see this episode?
    Last edited by Big Boy; 07-27-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Banned
    The world is bigger than TV, turn it off. Hi ya Steve McX. Remember, I love ya.
    Last edited by Big Guy; 07-27-2010 at 09:37 PM.

That theater was awesome AND creepy!

old knuckle-head was awesome.
    old kawasaki chopper was effin lame.

Couldn't see the badge either
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Well since the Pickers show was bought up, I have to wonder- don't those 2 carry a very large amount of cash around with them? Do they have carry lisc's that cover every state, or are they believers in Dial A Prayer? Unless 1 or both are retired LEO under LEOSA provisions, they are NOT going to be able to get a NY nonresident or NJ nonresident lisc.

I don't care if they have a very heavy safe bolted into the van, due to the show they are now very recognizable and I can just see some heist gang or gangbangers targeting them for cash. Insurance to cover the cash if stolen? Ok, but how about insurance that the robbers won't kill you?

The Pawn Stars show- I bet those guys have all sorts of firepower behind the counters and wearing concealed guns on their bodies. Well at least the dad probably has twin 1911's on him somewhere. I wish they would OC, I'd love that. I'd watch the show just for the OCing LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Well since the Pickers show was bought up, I have to wonder- don't those 2 carry a very large amount of cash around with them? Do they have carry lisc's that cover every state, or are they believers in Dial A Prayer? Unless 1 or both are retired LEO under LEOSA provisions, they are NOT going to be able to get a NY nonresident or NJ nonresident lisc.

I don't care if they have a very heavy safe bolted into the van, due to the show they are now very recognizable and I can just see some heist gang or gangbangers targeting them for cash. Insurance to cover the cash if stolen? Ok, but how about insurance that the robbers won't kill you?

The Pawn Stars show- I bet those guys have all sorts of firepower behind the counters and wearing concealed guns on their bodies. Well at least the dad probably has twin 1911's on him somewhere. I wish they would OC, I'd love that. I'd watch the show just for the OCing LOL.
    When you watch Pawn Stars watch carefully,there is always some guy by the door Oc'ing and sometimes one of the 2 that I have noticed has a some sort of thigh rig!!!
    Last edited by r1dramma; 07-29-2010 at 08:54 AM.

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Yep that's it. Wish I could read that damned badge. I'm about 97% positive he's not LEO with the way they treated the situation. I think the network would have made a point of pointing it out if he were. Just wish people would stop wearing badges when OC'ing (yes I know it's their right and style if they want to, I just personally don't like it)
    Last edited by Big Boy; 07-29-2010 at 01:50 AM.

He was a bailbondsman. Probably a bounty hunter for himself and maybe others. Could have been retired LEO, but I doubt it.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
    Yep that's it. Wish I could read that damned badge. I'm about 97% positive he's not LEO with the way they treated the situation. I think the network would have made a point of pointing it out if he were. Just wish people would stop wearing badges when OC'ing (yes I know it's their right and style if they want to, I just personally don't like it)
    It said:

Haiiler? something
    Bounty Hunter
    El Dorado, Ks.

The handcuffs hanging out his back were a dead giveaway to a bounty hunter.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 07-30-2010 at 12:14 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Well history channel had a Jessy James Treasure, I was flipping channels and one had a badge clipped beside the gun, the other two didn't have one visible that I could see. They were digging in Kansas.

I'm guessing they have a production crew of at least a half a dozen people following them around, making it unlikely that they would be accosted by thieves....... Unlikely, but of course criminals aren't known for their smarts.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post

They said plainly during the show that he was a bail bondsman and bail enforcement agent.