• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on American Pickers?

Big Boy

There is a show on the History Channel called American Pickers. It airs right before Pawn Stars, a show on which we have already seen open carry.

On this most recent episode of American Pickers (7/26/10) They visited a guy wearing a revolver on his belt, cross draw. He did have a badge, and I attempted to read it several times, even with a paused DVR, but found it impossible. What got me is they never mentioned that he was LEO, retired or not, but they did mention the gun. A few times in fact. Mike even said "I feel like we're in a scene from tombstone or something. We're walking down a street in Kansas and you've got a gun on your hip". The reactions and lack of information on a LEO status leads me to believe this guy was probably just OC'ing with a CCW or otherwise badge.

They were in El Dorado, Kansas. Anyone else see this episode?

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Well since the Pickers show was bought up, I have to wonder- don't those 2 carry a very large amount of cash around with them? Do they have carry lisc's that cover every state, or are they believers in Dial A Prayer? Unless 1 or both are retired LEO under LEOSA provisions, they are NOT going to be able to get a NY nonresident or NJ nonresident lisc.

I don't care if they have a very heavy safe bolted into the van, due to the show they are now very recognizable and I can just see some heist gang or gangbangers targeting them for cash. Insurance to cover the cash if stolen? Ok, but how about insurance that the robbers won't kill you?

The Pawn Stars show- I bet those guys have all sorts of firepower behind the counters and wearing concealed guns on their bodies. Well at least the dad probably has twin 1911's on him somewhere. I wish they would OC, I'd love that. I'd watch the show just for the OCing LOL.

r1dramma

Well since the Pickers show was bought up, I have to wonder- don't those 2 carry a very large amount of cash around with them? Do they have carry lisc's that cover every state, or are they believers in Dial A Prayer? Unless 1 or both are retired LEO under LEOSA provisions, they are NOT going to be able to get a NY nonresident or NJ nonresident lisc.

I don't care if they have a very heavy safe bolted into the van, due to the show they are now very recognizable and I can just see some heist gang or gangbangers targeting them for cash. Insurance to cover the cash if stolen? Ok, but how about insurance that the robbers won't kill you?

The Pawn Stars show- I bet those guys have all sorts of firepower behind the counters and wearing concealed guns on their bodies. Well at least the dad probably has twin 1911's on him somewhere. I wish they would OC, I'd love that. I'd watch the show just for the OCing LOL.

When you watch Pawn Stars watch carefully,there is always some guy by the door Oc'ing and sometimes one of the 2 that I have noticed has a some sort of thigh rig!!!

Last edited:

Big Boy

Yep that's it. Wish I could read that damned badge. I'm about 97% positive he's not LEO with the way they treated the situation. I think the network would have made a point of pointing it out if he were. Just wish people would stop wearing badges when OC'ing (yes I know it's their right and style if they want to, I just personally don't like it)

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Yep that's it. Wish I could read that damned badge. I'm about 97% positive he's not LEO with the way they treated the situation. I think the network would have made a point of pointing it out if he were. Just wish people would stop wearing badges when OC'ing (yes I know it's their right and style if they want to, I just personally don't like it)

It said:

Haiiler? something
Bounty Hunter
El Dorado, Ks.

The handcuffs hanging out his back were a dead giveaway to a bounty hunter.

Last edited:

SlackwareRobert

Well history channel had a Jessy James Treasure, I was flipping channels and one had a badge clipped beside the gun, the other two didn't have one visible that I could see. They were digging in Kansas.

JJ

I'm guessing they have a production crew of at least a half a dozen people following them around, making it unlikely that they would be accosted by thieves....... Unlikely, but of course criminals aren't known for their smarts.