• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unarmed Since about the 15th--about two weeks

Beretta92FSLady

So I have been on a trip for two weeks, and have five more days left. I decided that because I am going through so many states--some OC/CC friendly, some not, that I would go unarmed.

The states.cities are as follows, in order:

Kansas City
St. Louis
Chicago
Madison Wi.
Minneapolis
Des Moines
Kansas City

I had no issues but have to admit that there were times I felt extremely uncomfortable in Chicago and Kansas City. Most of the time I stayed in my hotel.

I rode a Greyhound from Minneapolis to Des Moines. The bus left at 5:45 in the morning. I did not want to be late so I had the cab driver drop me off in downtown Minneapolis early. I thought the depot was 24/7 open--it wasn't. So I sat outside in front of the depot at 4 in the morning. I felt very uncomfortable, there were drug dealers on the streets, walking back and forth--bad planning on my part.

I made it through it though. I am back in Kansas City and will be back to Seattle Sunday.

Going through so many states makes me thankful that I am in a OC/CC state. I am excited to get back and get to the range.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I've been visiting Alaska for the last week and am limited in carry as well. I brought my 1911 but I didn't realize where I am staying with my aunt, her house is a restricted carry facility (Adult Care Home). Anytime the weapon is in the house it has to be rendered inoperable (a real crimp in my plans). Once away from the house it has been a non-issue as far as carrying.

skiingislife725

I read the first sentence and went, "Alaska?! You can carry at 14!" Anyhow, hope you guys are enjoying your trips. You're bringing back some halibut for all us down in WA, right M1?

Mech

Glad to hear you're safe on your trip! How did you like Kansas City? My ex is from there and we've driven from Baltimore out to Kansas City on numerous occasions during the dead of the night, driving through St. Louis at freaking 4AM. Believe me, I was wishing I had taken my Sig and bought a bullet proof vest with me! My ex usually sleeps through the drive (I liked doing the 15-hr long haul between MD and MO), but downtown St. Louis is just downright sketchy.

Kansas City, from what I can tell, isn't really all THAT bad, but there ARE places I wouldn't touch with a 10-ft pole.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to OC extra when you get back to Seattle to make up for lost time! :)

Jeff Hayes

Sylvia

I just spent a week in Kalifornia so I feel your pain, I was uncomforatable the whole time I was unarmed. I pulled over on the 1st offramp in Washington and rearmed right there on the offramp. I am currrently in John Day Oregon to apply for my OR permit so I can stay armed in Oregon. Now if Gray can get Colorado fixed for us I will be goo most every where.

Glad you didn't have any problems at 4AM that would have been scary for anyone by themselves.

Beretta92FSLady

Glad to hear you're safe on your trip! How did you like Kansas City? My ex is from there and we've driven from Baltimore out to Kansas City on numerous occasions during the dead of the night, driving through St. Louis at freaking 4AM. Believe me, I was wishing I had taken my Sig and bought a bullet proof vest with me! My ex usually sleeps through the drive (I liked doing the 15-hr long haul between MD and MO), but downtown St. Louis is just downright sketchy.

Kansas City, from what I can tell, isn't really all THAT bad, but there ARE places I wouldn't touch with a 10-ft pole.

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to OC extra when you get back to Seattle to make up for lost time! :)

I drove through a couple of areas in Kansas City looking for a grocery store and a book store, there are some crappy neighborhoods around here that I would not want to be in, especially at night. I hear the Kansas City Ohio side is much better than the Kansas City Missouri.

1245A Defender

get a map!

I drove through a couple of areas in Kansas City looking for a grocery store and a book store, there are some crappy neighborhoods around here that I would not want to be in, especially at night. I hear the Kansas City Ohio side is much better than the Kansas City Missouri.

maybe you dont mean ohio, kansas city, Kansas!

and you should study the carry/transport laws in the states you pass thru/visit!
Oregon is OC friendly, and you can carry loaded in the car, on the dashboard!
California allows loaded open carry in most of the state!, in unincorporated areas.
in incorporated cities then unloaded open carry is AOK, 1000ft away from any schools.
transporting an unloaded gun, with its ammo, in a lock box, on the seat next to you,
will lawfully allow you to be ALMOST armed, ALMOST anywhere in the country!

Jeff Hayes

Sylvia

I just spent a week in Kalifornia so I feel your pain, I was uncomforatable the whole time I was unarmed. I pulled over on the 1st offramp in Washington and rearmed right there on the offramp. I am currrently in John Day Oregon to apply for my OR permit so I can stay armed in Oregon. Now if Gray can get Colorado fixed for us I will be goo most every where.

Glad you didn't have any problems at 4AM that would have been scary for anyone by themselves.

Metalhead47

Ditto on feeling your pain :(

I'm going to western NY shortly and so will be unarmed for a full week. And I've gotta come back thru Chicago just to add insult to injury. You're braver than I am actually going into the city, I'm staying behind the TSA line

amzbrady

maybe you dont mean ohio, kansas city, Kansas!

and you should study the carry/transport laws in the states you pass thru/visit!
Oregon is OC friendly, and you can carry loaded in the car, on the dashboard!
California allows loaded open carry in most of the state!, in unincorporated areas.
in incorporated cities then unloaded open carry is AOK, 1000ft away from any schools.
transporting an unloaded gun, with its ammo, in a lock box, on the seat next to you,
will lawfully allow you to be ALMOST armed, ALMOST anywhere in the country!

My sister works at the Saturn plant in Kansas city, Kasas and lives in Kansas city, Mo. She doesnt much care for either, but picked the safer of the two and works midnights. You want to have some real fun while your in Mo, shoot over the Poplar st bridge I-64 into E. St. Louis and take a look around. You'll really be missing your little friend. The only thing any good about E. St. Louis is the drive up liquor stores, and Pop's saloon and Tavern, It's open 24 hours, or at least it used to be.

BTW DEFENDER, Thanks for stopping by, it was good meetin ya. Woulda liked to have been able to buy ya a cup o coffee, if not for the garage sale. Hope ya had a good time at the Rally. If you make up here again while we're still here, give me some notice, and we'll set a cot up for ya, and throw some steaks on the grill.