• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Question

Snakemathis

As far as I know...

You can not legally carry openly or concealed on any college campuses in Arizona. This is just from what I have presumed based on previous posts. I dont actually know the law, but I believe its illegal. Hopefully someone can clarify that for me.

Phoenix David

The answer is not crystal clear .

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions
..snip..
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly
...snip..
Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds; or
...snip...
"School" means a public or nonpublic kindergarten program, common school or high school.
..snip..

There could be some debate that this does not apply to College campus with them being a political subdivision of the state and the state preempts them from making their own rules about firearms and under this ARS they are not a school.

I'd go with no unless you wish to be the first test case.

Last edited:

AZkopper

It is not against the law to have a gun on a college campus in AZ. That being said, it is against campus policy. If you are enrolled, you risk being expelled. If you are not enrolled, you risk being trespassed. I do not know if the trespass would stand up in court. The college is a public institution, so it should be handled just like any other gov't entitity. It would be case law, to be sure.

azcdlfred

It is not against the law to have a gun on a college campus in AZ. That being said, it is against campus policy. If you are enrolled, you risk being expelled. If you are not enrolled, you risk being trespassed. I do not know if the trespass would stand up in court. The college is a public institution, so it should be handled just like any other gov't entitity. It would be case law, to be sure.
The prohibition isn't in the "weapons misconduct" statutes. Like AZkopper pointed out, it's in the statutes that allow campus administrators to set policy. If they want to ban guns (they all have) nothing can prevent them - they derive their authority from statute.

The fat lady hasn't sung. Five years ago, the idea of permitless carry was considered insane, but we (AzCDL with YOUR help) got it done. Just keep supporting us (http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html) and we'll keep making history.

Fred