• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to cover up by a customer, outside of a Hooters.

1245A Defender

I kinda don't like that they will "win" and I will have to tuck my tail and leave at the manager's request (with them snickering in the background). I am not saying that I disagree with you. Only that it sucks.

if youre in a private business, and "the management" asks you to leave, that sucks!
if youre in a public place and a "private citizen" asks you to leave, it only sucks, if you leave!

ShooterMcGavin

If you want you can come down on me for leaving that other time, fine. I was angry that the girl complained and got her friend to ask me to leave. I was under the impression that, possibly, management had talked with the guy to see if they (management) could get me to cover up without them (management) needing to ask me to leave. I had no way to cover up, and I was not planning on staying there much longer, so I just told him "I'll leave in a little bit". I guess I'm a real push over.

I never know the right thing to say or do. That girl is against me, Hooter's is against the fact that I carry, the guys I ride with don't support me, my friends don't support me, ... It's frustrating. I guess I just need to stop riding with that group and stop OCing so much - which is once or twice a week.

1245A Defender

I dont want to sound like im down on you.
there are lots of things in play to think about.

if youre in a private business. nobody has the Legal right to make you leave, only the representatives of That business, not even the cops, only the representatives of the business!!
if the cops come and say, hooters wants you to leave, you are in your right to request that hooters come and tell you that you have to leave, before you can be legally be trespassed.
remember also, you were out in the parking lot, not even in the business.
im sorry that your friends didnt support your carry, and that a fat girl made a fuss
and got her friends to push her hoplafobia on to you, to make you go away.

ive never been accosted by anyone for my carry, so i dont really know what that pressure feels like.
the only advice i could give you, is to know all the right things to say to poke holes in their objections.
lots of the posts above should be studied till you know every thing you can say and do
to disarm their irrational objections to your legal, moral, constitutional right to carry in self defense!

my own thoughts about a confrontation like yours.
tell the scaremongers. if you are really worried about my gun.
Please go ahead and call 911, then tell the cops, there is a nice man, visiting with his friends
of motor cycle enthusiasts, and he is carrying a fire arm in a holster, in a lawful manner.
tell them, yes, hes just meeting and greeting, shaking hands and talking about the ride, the weather.
and its funny, hes smiling, and seems really pleasant and nice, and everybody seems happy to see and talk with him.
no hes not touching it, really you dont even notice it, its just there, but i saw it, and i was just, you know,
irrationally worried, cause, i dont know, is that even legal, to just, you know, just walk around like that,
it just seemed, odd, you know like, ive never like ever really seen anyone just, do that.

Dont Let The Bastards Get You Down!!!

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

I have had a similar encounter and simply responded " I will be leaving. I'm just not ready to go right now".

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I can bring my kids into the WA State liquor store. So that angle is out. However, they make a majority of their money on alcohol. So that angle works. :(

Yes you can and that sign does not exist at the liquor store because they do not sell alcohol by the drink! And therefore, it is not off limits to those under 21.

Copy of Policy from WSLCB

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Looking at the Federal Way OC training bulletin, it references FW City Code 6-138...
The language there seems a bit more obtuse...to include anywhere that alcohol is served, and makes no reference to signage as described.

jt

The Federal Way training bulletin references an obsolete code. The current code is in compliance with the state law:
6.25.030 Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises.
(1) It is a misdemeanor for anyone, on or in any premises in the city where alcoholic beverages are dispensed by the drink, to:
(a) Carry in any manner any firearm, rifle or handgun, whether such person has a license or permit to carry such firearm or not, and whether such firearm is concealed or not, in that portion of an establishment classified by the State Liquor Control Board as off-limits to persons under 21 years of age;

It doesn't reference the signage requirement, as that is already covered by state law. Of course, the above is redundant as well

1911er

Coffee and guns

I was at the local gun freindly esspreso shop in Port Orchard buying a drink and as I walked out I held the door open for a young man and his son . As the boy went by he yelled he,s got a gun h,s got A gun and ran down the sidewalk and hid behind his mom I,m guessing it was his mom. yelling he is going to shoot us he has a gun . his dad tried to quiet him down as I explained to the father It was perfectly legal to open carry in our state. And as I was not A fellon I could legally carry my weapon openly in our state and then walked away.

Last edited:

ShooterMcGavin

I dont want to sound like im down on you.
there are lots of things in play to think about...
I appreciate your thoughts. Sorry if I sounded defensive in my last post. It just get frustrating... Anytime someone feels uncomfortable that I have an openly carried gun, it is the complainer who is right and justified and I'm the weird-guy with a gun. Of course, I'm talking about while being IN the situation, not on here.

I'm sure I can work on being better at receiving constructive criticism.

Doesn't the property rights, and therefore the policy of the business, extend to the parking lot? Can't they ask me to leave the parking lot if they choose?

ShooterMcGavin

Yes they own the parking lot too. But that doesn't mean you can't stand on the sidewalk and chat with your friends that are in the parking lot.
That's true.

Also, that is a shared parking lot, right? They can't kick you out of the WHOLE parking lot.
I will have to look into that and figure out where the line is drawn.

MKEgal

I agree with the people who recommend "thanks for your opinion", or something similar, and not changing what you're doing.

But I stumbled over your statement that you didn't have a jacket... You mean you were _riding_ in just a T-shirt & jeans??
Yikes! Skin grafts are painful, so I wear safety gear (ballistic nylon mesh in the summer, textile suit in winter).
Never know what the bozo in the car up there will do, or that deer, or if there's gravel in the next curve.

ShooterMcGavin

I agree with the people who recommend "thanks for your opinion", or something similar, and not changing what you're doing.

But I stumbled over your statement that you didn't have a jacket... You mean you were _riding_ in just a T-shirt & jeans??
Yikes! Skin grafts are painful, so I wear safety gear (ballistic nylon mesh in the summer, textile suit in winter).
Never know what the bozo in the car up there will do, or that deer, or if there's gravel in the next curve.
I know, and I agree. Several people commented that, even on the hottest days, they have never seen me ride without a jacket. Part of the reason to go without a jacket was because I had been asked to cover up a few days earlier and I wanted to NOT have that option. Also, I was not doing any spirited riding that day, and I just felt like it.

I agree with you, though. It is always a better idea to wear a protective jacket.

jt59

Usually part of the lease hold agreement

I looked at buying an established franchise not too long ago in an established strip mall. Parking lots rights/ number of spots, access (and maintenance fee's) were incorporated into the building lease from the mall property owner. So, I would guess it extends...

That's true.

I will have to look into that and figure out where the line is drawn.