• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skagit County not following State Law!!!

sudden valley gunner

I talked to a deputy Monday, he knows the law (the lower deputies didn't) but says his hands are tied because the county commissioner are refusing to adopt a weapon policy. I left pamphlets with security guard (different one than Friday) and deputies.

The lock boxes are there, but they are not providing keys, or following state law. He told me my only recourse is to take it up with the county commissioners. I went to the commissioners office, they were not in the lovely and polite female at the counter took my name and number and some pamphlets and seemed interested in what I had to say. A few days later and no call from the commissioners though. So looks like I need to phone them or write them. Time to be the squeaky wheel. Does anybody else here live in Skagit County?

On a side note I went across the street to Mt. Vernon Police/Courthouse and left pamphlets and asked how I could check a fire arm and was told I couldn't, the one officer lady, said "most people are smart enough not to bring their guns to court". I told them it was illegal not to provide a means of checking my firearm in, the other lady then told me she may have mispoke that they do check in knives and other prohibited items but never had to deal with a firearm before.

amlevin

I talked to a deputy Monday, he knows the law (the lower deputies didn't) but says his hands are tied because the county commissioner are refusing to adopt a weapon policy. I left pamphlets with security guard (different one than Friday) and deputies.

The lock boxes are there, but they are not providing keys, or following state law. He told me my only recourse is to take it up with the county commissioners. I went to the commissioners office, they were not in the lovely and polite female at the counter took my name and number and some pamphlets and seemed interested in what I had to say. A few days later and no call from the commissioners though. So looks like I need to phone them or write them. Time to be the squeaky wheel. Does anybody else here live in Skagit County?

On a side note I went across the street to Mt. Vernon Police/Courthouse and left pamphlets and asked how I could check a fire arm and was told I couldn't, the one officer lady, said "most people are smart enough not to bring their guns to court". I told them it was illegal not to provide a means of checking my firearm in, the other lady then told me she may have mispoke that they do check in knives and other prohibited items but never had to deal with a firearm before.

They must have attended the Richard Daley school of Government and Citizen Relations.

Phssthpok

The lock boxes are there, but they are not providing keys, or following state law.

Yup...his hands are tied alright.

Once you provide him with text of the law that the commissioners are CRIMINALLY VIOLATING, he is REQUIRED by state law to file charges against them or face criminal charges himself!.

Time to get the LEO community to do their jobs!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Good luck getting PA to file charges.
Here is where it gets frustrating. What officer do we get to file complaint and bring criminal charges against any sort of authority?

sudden valley gunner

You file a criminal complaint with the PA.

You can try. Not that I am saying you are wrong, I have tried this with Whatcom county a few years ago and was told they only file charges that come through Law Enforcement. Maybe Skagit is different I have a feeling they are not. The other problem is what do I charge them with? I know what law they are breaking? But penalties and etc. are not spelt out like they are for other crimes that are committed.

JBone shared some info that the PA was correcting this 2 yrs. ago. Apparently that was a smokescreen to get him, Hammer, and Ghosthunter off his back or the county plain hasn't listened to the PA.

I would appreciate if you could share any more specific way though Trigger Dr. on how to approach and getting charges filed. Otherwise I might appear as just a disgruntled guy/gunnut to the PA.

jbone

You can try. Not that I am saying you are wrong, I have tried this with Whatcom county a few years ago and was told they only file charges that come through Law Enforcement. Maybe Skagit is different I have a feeling they are not. The other problem is what do I charge them with? I know what law they are breaking? But penalties and etc. are not spelt out like they are for other crimes that are committed.

JBone shared some info that the PA was correcting this 2 yrs. ago. Apparently that was a smokescreen to get him, Hammer, and Ghosthunter off his back or the county plain hasn't listened to the PA.

I would appreciate if you could share any more specific way though Trigger Dr. on how to approach and getting charges filed. Otherwise I might appear as just a disgruntled guy/gunnut to the PA.

I think it was working for awhile, I recall others mentioning on the forum that had check firearms sometime after it was all said and done. I'm thinking the have just reverted back to thier old ways.

Hammer

I had cause to go there a while back and at that time their (the security guards, whose intel on the matter is highly in question) said that there was no form of lock-up, and no intentions of getting any. I wrote the County Commissioners some time ago, when J-Bone first got the bit in his mouth. I never even got an answer from them. Election time is coming, tho, and if there is a time to put on pressure, this is it. They show up with smiles, glad-handing citizenry in hopes of another term of office. Best might be to pit one against another in the matter, in hopes that attention to the matter might bring news coverage.

sudden valley gunner

I think it was working for awhile, I recall others mentioning on the forum that had check firearms sometime after it was all said and done. I'm thinking the have just reverted back to thier old ways.

The lock boxes are there, and the RCW 9.41.300 sign is there. One deputy and on Guard even tried some keys. Until the other deputy came and said they can't check any in.

Yea Hammer I agree, I am thinking, about going down there again, and asking them to check it again. And then trying the PA to press charges. The only problem is who does he charge? The security are just doing the job as they are instructed, it would mean finding who gave the order to not use the lock boxes would be my guess.

jbone

I just sent an email letter to the PA, Commissioners, and Sheriff referencing what transpired in 2008, the original letter Hammer and I sent, and the new procedures the county said they were implementing at that time. Email read notification set.
I still say send in your complaint Rob.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The lock boxes are there, and the RCW 9.41.300 sign is there. One deputy and on Guard even tried some keys. Until the other deputy came and said they can't check any in.

Yea Hammer I agree, I am thinking, about going down there again, and asking them to check it again. And then trying the PA to press charges. The only problem is who does he charge? The security are just doing the job as they are instructed, it would mean finding who gave the order to not use the lock boxes would be my guess.

They would charge the "local legislative authority" as the RCW referes directly to that entity. If it is the council then they all get tickets.