• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman held hostage and stabbed repeatedly at York County Walmart

kwikrnu

Banned
Why not post a sign telling everyone that hurting people isn't nice and not allowed at Walmart. Maybe cities with high crime rates can post the same at their city limits.

t33j

Another update from the Daily Press. Sounds like it would have been pretty tough to intervene, even if you had been aware of the situation. Who goes into the Vision center, besides the people who are looking to get glasses?

TFred
I do. Sometimes they replace the nose pads on my glasses for free.

MSC 45ACP

The Optometry center in this walmart is WIDE OPEN and visible to anyone walking by. After you pay for your stuff at the register, you will pass by it on your way to the door... Depending on which door you entered, you have a 50/50 chance of passing it.

I wonder what the legal aftermath would be for an OCer (or CCer) if they had "taken the shot" and ended this scumbag's criminal career?
Arrest?
Certainly detainment and definite loss of their firearm for an INdefinite period of time.
Most likely a civil suit brought by the aforementioned scumbag's offspring and/or babymommas... Maybe even from the one whose life you just saved.

THESE are the questions not many of us think of often. I admit I don't. I just think of myself as a better-than-average marksman willing to save the lives of others if necessary, willing to put his own life in jeopardy to do so.

When you're confronted with one of these adreneline-pumping situations, you react by pure instinct and training. You won't hesitate to act in a "fight or flight" situation. You may soil or wet your pants (I wet mine, my partner soiled his). Hopefully, you'll live to tell the tale and won't be in jail.

45acpForMe

Who needs a gun at Walmart?!!!!

I shop at that walmart weekly and walk by the vision center each time. My daughter got her glasses there. I was in Florida when I got a text that there was a hostage situation in the Walmart. I turned to my daughter (who got the text from her friend checking on her to not be at walmart) and said, so why do I carry a gun when I shop at walmart? She answered correctly, because sh1t like this happens!

The thing that erks me a bit is that while OC-ing at this very Walmart I have TWICE overheard people (usually older women) say loud enough for me to hear, "Why do you need a gun at Walmart!".

Part of me wanted to be there (anger) and part of me was glad my family was no where near. The story came to us in bits and pieces via my daughters friends so it was a topic for discussion for the day. My youngest said that she always wanted me to carry when we went there, which I told her I would but also tried to calm her worry down that things like this don't happen often but this is exactly why we go prepared.

wylde007

My youngest said that she always wanted me to carry when we went there, which I told her I would but also tried to calm her worry down that things like this don't happen often but this is exactly why we go prepared.
Things like this never happen at places like Wal-Mart... until they do.

Just remember... there had never been a mass shooting by a jilted lover at Virginia Tech until there was one. There was never a NOVA sniper until there was one.

The worst of it is that you and I lack the clairvoyance to divine when and where these terrible events will take place. And, like the spare tire/fire extinguisher analogy holds - we must be prepared for them to happen at any time... and pray that we have prepared enough and in a manner commensurate to the magnitude of response that is necessitated by such an event.

RedKnightt

"Many customers were scared and children were crying during the ordeal, Dotson added."

The poor sheeple.

Remind me.. who needs a gun at walmart? :banghead:

You've had some clashes with other folks on this forum, and until this statement I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. What's wrong with customers being scared of a man brandishing a knife and hurting a woman so badly it puts her in critical condition at the local hospital? What's wrong with children being scared and crying when adults are scared, police are running in with drawn weapons and shouting, and I suspect, the victim of this attack likely screaming in pain loud enough for anyone in the store to hear?

"Sometimes, fear is the appropriate response." There was no herd-like stampeding, there was some "panic, chaos, and confusion" as to be expected. Sorry everyone is not a Unit-trained operator like yourself.

These aren't "sheeple" you jackass, they're your friends and neighbors. If you need to make yourself feel better by putting them down, please go elsewhere.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You've had some clashes with other folks on this forum, and until this statement I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. What's wrong with customers being scared of a man brandishing a knife and hurting a woman so badly it puts her in critical condition at the local hospital? What's wrong with children being scared and crying when adults are scared, police are running in with drawn weapons and shouting, and I suspect, the victim of this attack likely screaming in pain loud enough for anyone in the store to hear?

"Sometimes, fear is the appropriate response." There was no herd-like stampeding, there was some "panic, chaos, and confusion" as to be expected. Sorry everyone is not a Unit-trained operator like yourself.

These aren't "sheeple" you jackass, they're your friends and neighbors. If you need to make yourself feel better by putting them down, please go elsewhere.

You just went up another 3 notches on my well said pole RK!:cool:

45acpForMe

not hurting the OC cause

Now with this incident freshly in the minds of the employees and local shoppers, what is your opinion on carrying there now? Would OC-ing at Walmart today help or hurt the OC cause?

I have the option to CC. If I OC and the management goes nuts that would hurt us in the long run. I figure a week or two would be my opinion but am curious of others that have the pay4perks permit.

TFred

Now with this incident freshly in the minds of the employees and local shoppers, what is your opinion on carrying there now? Would OC-ing at Walmart today help or hurt the OC cause?

I have the option to CC. If I OC and the management goes nuts that would hurt us in the long run. I figure a week or two would be my opinion but am curious of others that have the pay4perks permit.
I don't think it changes anything, but it does "turn up the volume".

The antis who see an open carrier will assume it is another present or eventual criminal and be all that much more afraid. The RKBA supporter will recall the recent incident, and be glad that there is someone around who might be able to help if it ever happens again.

I don't see any great change of position, but perhaps a temporary time of enhanced awareness.

JMHO,

TFred

t33j

Beat you to it. Last night around 11:30 to look for .45 and a some other things.

t33j

My P4P has been unused and will remain so for the near future. The vision center looked like it always does... as if nothing ever happened.
I got many more looks at Yorktown last night, but I was attracting attention by hoping over walls and rocks and such.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My P4P has been unused and will remain so for the near future. The vision center looked like it always does... as if nothing ever happened.
I got many more looks at Yorktown last night, but I was attracting attention by hoping over walls and rocks and such.

Who was looking, tourists or locals?

Neplusultra

Having banned guns and swords in Great Brittain said:
I remember reading an article in on of the British tabloids about an old grandmother who had been arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. The weapon? A 12" knitting needle. Kid you not. What absolute freakin' lunacy.... She was carrying it for her own protection though. Imagine having to resort to knitting needles to fend off young thugs.....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I remember reading an article in on of the British tabloids about an old grandmother who had been arrested for carrying an offensive weapon. The weapon? A 12" knitting needle. Kid you not. What absolute freakin' lunacy.... She was carrying it for her own protection though. Imagine having to resort to knitting needles to fend off young thugs.....

I have friends that are antique gun collectors (about all you can get there) and they tell me about the nightmare they have to go through just to get a matchlock rifle.

I have a few friends in Australia and most of them hid most of their guns rather than turn them in.

An interesting bit of trivia. The man who Crocodile Dundee was modeled after, was killed in a shootout with police when they came for his guns.