• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet n Greet get together in Independence

randyj

I think it's time we all get together again in Independence! I am available on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings...or anytime on a Saturday...say between 0800am and 4pm. Just let me know when and where.

BILL27GLOCK

I think it's time we all get together again in Independence! I am available on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings...or anytime on a Saturday...say between 0800am and 4pm. Just let me know when and where.

Great idea, see if we can set a time later on when its a little cooler and also check out a park we can go to. Can't think of any right off hand..pretty bad huh? and I live here. Some Sat would be a good day that way we can go a little earlier and have time to visit with everyone.

Big Boy

Pretty soon after the last one....I like it.

I'm game. Hope I have my new FNP-45 by the time it rolls around.

XD40Brandon

Great idea, see if we can set a time later on when its a little cooler and also check out a park we can go to. Can't think of any right off hand..pretty bad huh? and I live here. Some Sat would be a good day that way we can go a little earlier and have time to visit with everyone.

Come on Dad, lol. How about George Owens Nature Park? Its just off 23rd st. If u get on City of Indep. website u can look at what all they have at each park. This one has alot for the whole family looks like...
Take a look everyone and see what u think.

http://ci.independence.mo.us/parksandrec/parksmap.aspx

BILL27GLOCK

Come on Dad, lol. How about George Owens Nature Park? Its just off 23rd st. If u get on City of Indep. website u can look at what all they have at each park. This one has alot for the whole family looks like...
Take a look everyone and see what u think.

http://ci.independence.mo.us/parksandrec/parksmap.aspx

Hey, that might work. Will have to check it out further, may have to have reservations? We'll find out. Good job Son.

Jon85

Independence city ordinance prohibits possession of firearms in city parks. Has there been discussion about these laws before? I'm curious to hear the opinions on the ordinance.

Big Boy

Hmm, interesting.

I found this:

ARTICLE 3. SAFE STREETS REGULATIONS
SEC. 12.03.001
C. It is unlawful for any person to possess any firearm or deadly weapon upon any school grounds,
within any park, playground or public building or public facility within the corporate limits of the City of
Independence unless such person is otherwise permitted by law to do so.

I guess parks are a no go. I'd better look better into other cities laws on this as well. That'd be a bad screw up.

Jon85

Hmm, interesting.

I found this:

ARTICLE 3. SAFE STREETS REGULATIONS
SEC. 12.03.001
C. It is unlawful for any person to possess any firearm or deadly weapon upon any school grounds,
within any park, playground or public building or public facility within the corporate limits of the City of
Independence unless such person is otherwise permitted by law to do so.

I guess parks are a no go. I'd better look better into other cities laws on this as well. That'd be a bad screw up.

There are only a few ordinances that cover open carry. They would be Safe Streets (the one you found in 12.03.001); and the following:

SEC. 13.01.013. PARKS - FIREARMS - FIREWORKS.
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in a park to:
1. Possess firearms or other weapons, except as provided in Chapter 12 of this Code;​

SEC. 12.03.003. UNLAWFUL USE OF WEAPONS.
A. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
5. Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated; or
8. Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any election precinct on any election day, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the Federal government, State government, or political subdivision thereof; or
10. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.​
EXCEPT THAT:
8 and 10 do not apply to LEO's, CCW holders, official duty military, civil process servers, probation/parole officers, judges, coroner, medical examiner, and wardens and detention officers.

SEC. 12.03.004. FIREARMS IN CITY BUILDINGS.
A. No person who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement by the Missouri Director of revenue under Section 571.094 RSMo. or who has been issued a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state, shall, by authority of that endorsement or permit, be allowed to carry a concealed firearm or to openly carry a firearm in any building or portion of a building or any park owned, leased or controlled by the City.

B. Signs shall be posted at each entrance of a building entirely owned, leased or controlled by the City and at park entrances stating that entry while carrying firearms is prohibited. Where the City owns, leased or controls only a portion of a building, signs shall be posted at each entrance to that portion of a the building stating that carrying of firearms is prohibited.

Obviously, standard state and federal statutes apply too.

Big Boy

Guess parks are a no go unless maybe we head to a neighboring city. Even then we need to be careful and see if we need a permit to gather there. Some laws are just retarded. Where should we meet?

And where's all the interest we had last time? Speak up people.

BILL27GLOCK

Guess parks are a no go unless maybe we head to a neighboring city. Even then we need to be careful and see if we need a permit to gather there. Some laws are just retarded. Where should we meet?

And where's all the interest we had last time? Speak up people.

I;m still all about getting together...cooler weather of course, but I'm pretty much up for meeting anywhere that the laws don't get our hands slapped. Guess if worse comes to worse we could get together again at Krug park in St Joe. That was pretty decent I thought.

Cavvet2

New member here, first post and all that. I have a CCW and have had for as long as legal here and before that had one living in Texas however I have just stumbled across this whole OC subject while looking for something entirely different on the web. I am definitely interested in a M&G here in Independence and meeting others in this town to learn more as I venture into this new realm cautiously so as to avoid breaking any laws due to ignorance on the subject.

Jim

Cavvet2

Welcome Cavvet2. Were trying to get one together now just waiting for the weather to break.
Thx. I will keep an eye on this thread. I have a lot of questions to ask those knowledgeable about Independence OC and about experiences with IPD. I have carried CW for years without problem but many dealings with some of the officers on other unrelated issues has shown them to come across many times as arrogant towards the general populace. Not always but enough to make me wonder how they deal with OC.

Thx again for the response...

randyj

Hi Reverand...

You gents are ALWAYS welcome to come back up and join us few 'n proud in St. Joe again if all else falls through!

Rest assured...we here in good ole "give em hell" Harry's hometown will have our next Meet N Greet here pretty quick! hahaha

Of course our Brother's n Arms up in St. Joe are cordially invited to come on down and join us when we determine this heat wave has broken...but I'm anxious to meet everyone again soon!