• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellowstone-area bear attack: 1 dead, 2 injured

Dave Workman

Yellowstone-area bear attack underscores guns-in-parks effort

The political effort leading to adoption last year of a new statute allowing defensive firearms to be carried in national parks got a major affirmation – albeit tragic – Wednesday morning when a bear rampaged through a campground near Yellowstone National Park, killing one person and injuring two other campers.

One can probably knock on wood that this did not happen in one of Washington's three national parks, which are currently at the height of the tourist season and they are loaded with campers who may not understand "bear country etiquette."

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seat...ea-bear-attack-underscores-gunsinparks-effort
Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/26sucoc

daddy4count

This was a Grizzly attack at night... more than likely unavoidable even if armed... since most of us do not post sentry through the late hours. Though a firearm may have saved the life lost, it probably would not have helped avoid this attack.

I guess it would depend on how well you maintain your focus as a 500 lb bear is chewing on your arms... and if you left your gun within arms reach in the tent... and if you can still reach it with bear jaws clamped down on a limb.

This is speculation, but it is highly likely that improperly stored foods lured the bears into the camp... who then got curious about the scents and noises from within the tents.

I never hike without a weapon... but a bear can, proper food sack storage and backcountry experience and know-how can deter a bear attack better than a gun, simply by avoiding the unwanted contact in the first place.

Sadly, Grizzly bears are naturally curious and will eat just about anything... including hikers if they get hungry enough. The article mentions Griz's in our WA forests... but I have yet to see one, or meet anyone who has in the wild in WA. We have black bears here... while still a wild creature and nothing to mess with, as a whole they are far less dangerous than the Griz's

Michigander

Someone should send this to Ken Burns. In his documentary, he talked about how wonderful it was that these parks are unchanged. He talked about how one guy in the 1800's in Yellowstone was really screwed when he lost his guns. And then, in public statements not part of his documentary, he commented on how bad of an idea he thinks guns in national parks are. I'd call that hypocrisy.

SlackwareRobert

News this morning said there was a cell call during the bear attack and the attackee was screaming. Sounds like enough time to draw and fire to me. While you may not save the first person, there is time to stop further mayhem. How much money are they going to spend doing DNA on the bear, a dead bear in the tent would end any speculation on which one, and the cubs would learn humans are dangerous, not good eats as mom showed them.

I would like the press to get some quotes from the Alaska rangers who were so upset the bear up there was shot.

Dave Workman

Parks officials are saying the Griz "targeted" the three campers and attacked them specifically... though they do not know exactly why. They also captured 2 of her 3 cubs. While she will be put down, the cubs will remain in captivity since this activity is suspected to have been training for them...

Hmmmm.

Wonder what the public reaction would be if we instituted the same policy toward adult gang bangers???