Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10684, Raleigh, NC 27605
919-664-8565, www.grnc.org, GRNC Alert Hotline: (919) 562-4137
GRNC Alert 07-28-10:
Disclose Cloture Vote Fails - Hagan Sells You Out
The cloture vote on S3628, the so-called DISCLOSE Act designed to prevent organizations such as GRNC, Gun Owners of America and CCRKBA from having meaningful participation in political elections came up short this time. Cloture would have moved the bill along the process toward becoming law.
BUT DON'T RELAX YET! THIS IS NOT OVER...
While the Senate was short of the votes (barely) necessary, that will not be the case for long unless you act.
The long and the short of it for North Carolina voters is this: Sen. Richard Burr stood with you by voting no and Sen. KAY HAGAN opposed your freedom of speech by arraying herself with the special interests holding the muzzle with you name on it, by voting yes.
Give thanks where they are due to Sen. Burr and make certain that Sen. Hagan knows your displeasure.
A QUICK RECAP
In order to curry favor and gain acceptance, special exemptions were created to exempt leftist unions and the NRA.
Of course, organizations such as GRNC, Gun Owners of America and CCRKBA will be effectively banned from engaging in political debate.
Along with that it also does the following:
* Bans political speech by government contractors and TARP recipients but not unions with collective bargaining agreements with the government or unions who receive dues from government payroll deductions.
* Imposes legally unsound limitations on coordinated communications between federal candidates and organizations - possibly subjecting candidates to investigations and fines for activity they don't know took place.
* Creates highly complex reporting requirements - unlikely to impact unions - that would have high compliance costs and disproportionate effects on small businesses.
* Places more stringent "stand by your ad" requirements on organizations than candidates by forcing organization heads and top funders to appear in ads, stating their organizations' names up to five times.
* Deliberately and recklessly seeks to affect the 2010 elections by taking effect in 30 days without waiting for the FEC to issue instructions and rules so people can follow the law and avoid criminal and civil punishment.
Read more background on this:
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
* Thank Sen. Richard Burr: Phone: 202 224-3154; Fax: 202 228-2981; http://burr.senate.gov/public/index....ct.ContactForm
* Let Sen. Kay Hagan know you are watching: Phone -- (202) 224-6342; Webform -- http://hagan.senate.gov/?p=contact
Dear Senator Hagan:
I understand that you voted yea on cloture for S 3628, the unconstitutional so-called DISCLOSE Act. I insist that you change this position. This piece of legislation designed to replace the overturned and discredited McCain-Feingold law should not be given any serious consideration.
Use every step within your means to oppose and stop this attack on free speech. It is time to choose sides. Are you with the people and support their freedom of speech and right to participate in the elective process? Or are you with the special interests who wish to silence us? I will be watching the progress of this through Grass Roots North Carolina.
A Concerned North Carolina Voter
You may find your NC representative by going here:
You may write your federal congressman by going here:
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:
Hyatt Coin & Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-663-5656, www.hyattguns.com
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, firstname.lastname@example.org
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/