• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC during labor day?

scot623

Yep that is it!

The 2 highlighted parts are what is so important!

It also blows a huge hole in the Arts Eats Beats argument that the entire festival is a PFZ due to this statute!

I believe it is their contention that "the fenced in area"(the entire festival) would meet the definition of "enclosure on real estate". Just sayin'.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Except that they cannot do that unless they are going to only allow those 21 and over in.

I'm not 100% sure that is the case, but if someone finds something to that effect, please share. The law talks about "possession" by minors for licensees and to that end they often do prohibit minors after a certain hour or some other restriction. It is clear though that those with a CPL should be ok to carry, oc or cc. I find it very hard to believe that alcohol sales would be a primary source of income for an organization that gets a lot of donations in the form of tangible assets AND charges $3.00 to get in.

What is really sort of karmic about the whole ABE issue is that by fighting and arguing with us, the commission and ABE executives have guaranteed that there could possibly be a larger number of OC people, and probably just everyday people carrying firearms, in attendance than there would have been if the commission would have quickly and quietly removed the firearm prohibition from the contract. Now they are very likely that they will get individuals showing up who would never have considered even going to this event. The incessant need for our "representatives" to prove that one is "right" despite evidence to the contrary often is the precursor to REALLY getting what they don't want.

PDinDetroit

I'm not 100% sure that is the case, but if someone finds something to that effect, please share. The law talks about "possession" by minors for licensees and to that end they often do prohibit minors after a certain hour or some other restriction. It is clear though that those with a CPL should be ok to carry, oc or cc. I find it very hard to believe that alcohol sales would be a primary source of income for an organization that gets a lot of donations in the form of tangible assets AND charges $3.00 to get in.

What is really sort of karmic about the whole ABE issue is that by fighting and arguing with us, the commission and ABE executives have guaranteed that there could possibly be a larger number of OC people, and probably just everyday people carrying firearms, in attendance than there would have been if the commission would have quickly and quietly removed the firearm prohibition from the contract. Now they are very likely that they will get individuals showing up who would never have considered even going to this event. The incessant need for our "representatives" to prove that one is "right" despite evidence to the contrary often is the precursor to REALLY getting what they don't want.

Minors under 17 as far as I can find - MCL 750.141: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-141

750.141 Presence of minor under 17 in places where liquor is sold, given away, or furnished; attendance of minors at dances.

A minor child under 17 years of age shall not be permitted to remain in a dance hall, saloon, barroom or any place where spirituous or intoxicating liquor, wine or beer, or any beverage, liquor or liquors containing spirituous or intoxicating liquor, beer or malt liquor is sold, given away or furnished for a beverage, unless the minor is accompanied by parent or guardian. A proprietor, keeper or manager of any such place who permits a minor child to remain in any such place, and a person who encourages or induces in any way the minor child to enter the place or to remain therein shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. This section shall not prevent a township, village or city from establishing, by ordinance, regulations more stringent than the provisions of this act relative to the attendance of a minor at theaters, movie houses, bowling or billiard halls and dance halls. This section shall not prevent a township, village or city from establishing, by ordinance, regulations permitting the attendance of minor children at dances where no spirituous or intoxicating liquor, beer or malt liquor is sold, given away or consumed in the dance area.

scot623

Bringing the thread back on topic...OC on the Mighty Mac and enjoy the views! I just got back form a week up there, I think the Mackinac Bridge is one of the best parts of Michigan. One hell of a sight. I OC'd at the Mackinaw Mill Creek campground a bit, they did not have a policy against firearm carry. I asked when I checked in. I didn't want to get kicked out, trying to find another campground would have been impossible without a reservation.

Last edited: