Thread: So, should we do monthly meetings?

So, should we do monthly meetings?

I got to thinking that we've been doing high-visibility public stuff, which is very important, but would it not also be prudent to gather in more of a closed-meeting format semi-regularly?

Just a thought. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what we might accomplish in that kind of setting that we don't do here in the forums, but perhaps there's an angle for more "walk in" or casual traffic?

Thoughts?
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

Maybe a open carry ice fishing party. Maybe meet with some free staters at the Border and celebrate freedom while we still can. What I'm suggesting some event open to all, just for fun once a year. (A kite flying day)?
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 07-29-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    Maybe a open carry ice fishing party. Maybe meet with some free staters at the Border and celebrate freedom while we still can. What I'm suggesting some event open to all, just for fun once a year. (A kite flying day)?
    You still have ice on the lakes?

I think that you'll find that most all of the events are pretty much open to the public with the caveat of not causing a problem - such determination being made by a select person(s).

A variety of planned events is always good. Perhaps that is in part what is being suggested by having meetings - face-to-face contact will cover a lot more conversational ground in less time than will the time delay of postings. Still the geographic spread of people has to be considered too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You still have ice on the lakes?

I think that you'll find that most all of the events are pretty much open to the public with the caveat of not causing a problem - such determination being made by a select person(s).

A variety of planned events is always good. Perhaps that is in part what is being suggested by having meetings - face-to-face contact will cover a lot more conversational ground in less time than will the time delay of postings. Still the geographic spread of people has to be considered too.
    The geographic spread is the big issue. We're getting bigger, but we're still a small group and we're scattered all over the place. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive between me and Shane, for example.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Smaller local meet-ups while not necessarily formal meetings accomplish the same things.

Sharing of ideas and developing new ones.

Getting to know people on a more personal basis - makes for a stronger organization.

Educating yourself and others - spreading the word.

Whenever two or more are gathered.........
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate
    I think this is a good idea... once I'm down to school and in the Portland area, that way it's less of a hike for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    I think this is a good idea... once I'm down to school and in the Portland area, that way it's less of a hike for everyone.
    I pity you if you live in the dorms.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    I pity you if you live in the dorms.
    yaaaa... i am.

game for monthly meetings! lets see where it goes.

my house is always open!

Accomplished Advocate
    meetings will begin once I'm in Portland. It's only like 3 weeks until I'm down there. And we're going to use a nice place... not saying where yet, but it's very nice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    meetings will begin once I'm in Portland. It's only like 3 weeks until I'm down there. And we're going to use a nice place... not saying where yet, but it's very nice :-)
    any news on monthly meetings? do you have to be a moca member to attend?

xd-over

Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    any news on monthly meetings? do you have to be a moca member to attend?

xd-over
    We're still getting situated with all the college stuff and we plan to be pretty active with that. I can't see us ever restricting meetings to members-only (besides, basic membership will ALWAYS be free). That being said, I'll be putting out a newsletter and some website updates soon articulating the game plan for the future.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown

Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    We're still getting situated with all the college stuff and we plan to be pretty active with that. I can't see us ever restricting meetings to members-only (besides, basic membership will ALWAYS be free). That being said, I'll be putting out a newsletter and some website updates soon articulating the game plan for the future.
    awesome! wasnt trying to be a pest, was just wondering. good luck with school.

xd-over

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    awesome! wasnt trying to be a pest, was just wondering. good luck with school.

xd-over
    ok, we are going to do quarterly meetings and they will be held at the Portland Public Library in one of their meeting rooms. Dates are still to be established, but at least we have tentative data.