• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was a victim of a felony crime tonight.

retrodad

Ah, memories...

Reminds me when I was on a date my senior year of high school. Young, dumb, no gun, no cell phone. Was late at night, car full of pukes pulls up behind us on the highway and starts high-beaming, riding no less than few feet from our tail, even bumping us once!

They move into the oncoming lane to pass, I hit the brakes, they fly by, and I re-engage the accelerator to catch back up and get the plate. Meanwhile they're pitching everything they can find out of the vehicle at us: can of hairspray, paper, bottles (all miss amazingly).

Eventually, they have enough of the reversal of roles and come to a dead stop on steep incline, get out of the vehicle, and start verbalizing and gesturing challenges toward us. I come to a dead stop about 30 yards away and immediately hit reverse. They see they're not going to get any play out of us, so they get back in their vehicle and speed off.

I get my date back home and we call State Patrol with the plate and description of the 3 men we saw. Come to find out later when they were picked up, these 4(!) guys had warrants, were in a stolen vehicle, and had a shotgun in their possession. I'm guessing we, fortunately, didn't see the gunman.

Good times, good times...

TechnoWeenie

I believe that if it is a retired police interceptor that it will not have the fuel shut off switch.

WRONG! P71's have the same engine, no magical 'cop chip', no supercharger, or any of that nonsense. They're built for reliability and fleet use, not speed. The LX Sport was actually faster and handled better than the Police Interceptor.

And the airbags may also be deactivated so it can't be "airbagged" in a pursuit.

Some have a switch to disable the passenger airbag when equipment is mounted in front of it, but the drivers is ALWAYS on.

Ever consider that it might also be a legit "official vehicle"? Driven by a detective or plain-clothes officer?

NO. Any vehicle used to make a stop is required to have lights. If an officer is driving a car without lights he would call for a marked car to make the stop, not flash his highbeams...

it's pretty tough for a phony to get modern cop lights.

Wrong. Any dipshit can order what he wants from Ebay/Galls.... The good stuff is expensive, but it's out there...

OrangeIsTrouble

Let the flaming begin.
1. Car looking exactly like a squad car on side of road with lights off.
2. I was holding my phone up with speakerphone.
3. Whips out behind me then high beams me.
4. I pull over to let him pass (1 lane in each direction)
5. Pulls behind me for a few seconds then goes by me and takes a look at me and drives off.
6. Then he proceeds to book it while I chase him down.

Why wasn't I on 911? I pushed talk twice to redial last number, and I am driving a stick I am not about to try to look at my phone (blackberry with many buttons, curve model ), normally I do not even call people while driving, I only pick up. Yes I actually do that, I hate it when people endanger my life.

A citizen reminding me to get off the phone? They need to stop playing cop.

I am disgusted that anyone would actually flame me, I was under the impression that this could be one of those guys that go around looking for people who they could take advantage of, and someone they caught up to the wrong guy who might not be some defenseless.

Or it could all be a power jollies guy.

And no I was not in a breach truck I was in a small nissan...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Poo if you think I am flaming you, well I am not.

What crime did they commit? This is nothing more then someone calling MWAG on anyone of us, pure speculation and well over reaction.

Setting up your phone to dial 911 as a speed dial 9 is very easy as you know.

I and others in here I am sure have had similar incidents occur, my last was about 1 year ago and it was a road rage incident that was ill conceived by the other driver who thought I had cut him off on the freeway and continued after I had stopped to get gas.
Did he commit a crime by racing upon me and then to the left side of me yelling like an idiot, traffic violation for sure but not a criminal action.
Once he saw I was calling 911 he left.

Just as important that we react properly we must not over react as well, there is a balance.

jbone

SNIP: - Poo, i am glad your ok!

+1
I could be wrong, but I think everyone is glad as well. Which are the most outcomes when encountering a dangerous or potential dangerous situation? You’ll get the douche bag next time you see him.

OrangeIsTrouble

Ok, well next time I will not accuse someone of impersonating a police officer until they walk up to my window and put to a gun to my head. I am sure at that point I will have the best reaction time and do some crazy stuff from all those kung fu movies. Probably launch and start drifting around corners too.

All that joking aside, seriously, this might have been the start of a crime, just because he didn't pull through with it, doesn't mean he didn't have the intentions.

flb_78

WRONG! P71's have the same engine, no magical 'cop chip', no supercharger, or any of that nonsense. They're built for reliability and fleet use, not speed. The LX Sport was actually faster and handled better than the Police Interceptor.

I never said they were magic cars, I said that they probably don't have the fuel cut off switch in the trunk. The fuel shut off switch is easily tripped. If an officer has to cross an interstate median, it would most likely trip the switch. The switch in my mother's car was tripped from hitting a pothole too fast.

The P71's do have a different ECM then the standard Crowns.

www.crownvic.net has more information then what anyone needs to know about these cars.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Ok, well next time I will not accuse someone of impersonating a police officer until they walk up to my window and put to a gun to my head. I am sure at that point I will have the best reaction time and do some crazy stuff from all those kung fu movies. Probably launch and start drifting around corners too.

All that joking aside, seriously, this might have been the start of a crime, just because he didn't pull through with it, doesn't mean he didn't have the intentions.

Where is the " I was a victim of a felony crime tonight" This title is misleading and crying for attention.

Tell us, What crime did he commit? There is suspicion only, nothing more.

While you were chasing him around in circles he may have been on the phone with 911 telling them about a crazed road-rage nut chasing him!

I do not have an issue with you trying to get a license plate number if you suspect something and in doing so it would behoove anyone to call 911 during this period of time. not talking to his buddy as if they are batman and robin (a little humor there).

And by the way I am happy that you are alive and well.

OrangeIsTrouble

If the title grabs someones attention and gets them on the lookout for this punk then it is all good for me. I am pretty sure it is not the first time we had misleading titles in this forum.

OrangeIsTrouble

What crime did he commit?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.60.045

(1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

(a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

(ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

So it would probably be a misdemeanor then. I apologize for my MISLEADING title.

I am a pretty reasonable person aren't I? Any other person, NOT AS SMART as the OCers here of course who are always on high alert, would think that would be a cop car.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.60.045<br>
  • (1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:
  • (a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer;
  • and
  • (ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree,
  • does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity
  • and
  • a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer;
I re posted this for emphasis and what actions you described would not convict him on that he has a crown victory, high beams, pulled out on a public street, followed you for s short distance, stopped on a 2 lane road when you stopped in front or to the side of the road momentary.

Do yourself a favor next time just call 911 even though you may feel it is inconvenient as it will help stop any misconception of who was doing what and maybe law enforcement can make a stop and find our for sure.

It is more likely that law enforcement will respond faster if someone is following the suspect and on line with 911.

Also you would not be covered under the cell phone call for calling in emergency and talking with a buddy instead of 911.

Note I too would like to see you and yours safe as well.

Vandal

I never said they were magic cars, I said that they probably don't have the fuel cut off switch in the trunk. The fuel shut off switch is easily tripped. If an officer has to cross an interstate median, it would most likely trip the switch. The switch in my mother's car was tripped from hitting a pothole too fast.

The P71's do have a different ECM then the standard Crowns.

www.crownvic.net has more information then what anyone needs to know about these cars.

My retired P71 has the fuel cut off switch. It won't be tripped by going off of curbs or medians, you must have hit that hole really hard. My car also has active aribags for driver and passenger, though Techno is correct many agencies used to shut the passenger side bags off prior to the newer Advanced Airbags that won't blow with less than 50lbs in the seat. The ECM tune is a bit different, mainly for shift points in the transmission.

Poo, it sounds like a wannabe thought you would make an easy target for him. Good on you for continuing to drive and not becoming a statistic. I think you did well in a situation that is covered in gray.

If it is a real cop they won't "highbeam" you but will have multiple sets of red and blue lights, even the unmarked WSP and local cars like we have gobs of here in Spokane. I would have called the cops personally and kept driving.

If you are lit up by an unmarked car and it just doesn't feel right, ie, you weren't doing anything illegal then call 911 for a marked unit and drive to a populated and well it area. If it is actually a cop the dispatcher will let you know and they should also be in contact with the officer in the car and be feeding him info as to what is going on.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Situations like this happen all the time and is exactly why all patrol cars should be required to be marked. LE should not pull people over for traffic violations in unmarked cars period, ever. I for one will not pull over for an unmarked car. I will turn on my 4 ways slow down and call 911 while driving to a gas station or somewhere there are other people. I have taught my kids and wife to do the same its just not safe in this day and age even if they have lights siren etc.

sudden valley gunner

Situations like this happen all the time and is exactly why all patrol cars should be required to be marked. LE should not pull people over for traffic violations in unmarked cars period, ever. I for one will not pull over for an unmarked car. I will turn on my 4 ways slow down and call 911 while driving to a gas station or somewhere there are other people. I have taught my kids and wife to do the same its just not safe in this day and age even if they have lights siren etc.

+1

amlevin

Just a suggestion, if you won't pull over for an "Unmarked" be sure not to speed on I-5 between MP 200 and MP 220. This stretch has a high number of State and SCSO vehicles that are not only unmarked, they look just like something fresh off a dealer's lot. Everything from compacts to SUV's. They all DO have the blue/red strobes in the front/rear windows and the officers are in full uniform. Suggest you go ahead and pull over for these as they take a dim view of anyone refusing to do so. You will then find a whole crowd of vehicles and officers responding and then your stop will take considerably longer. Of course if you don't speed (or drive while talking on your cell phone w/o handsfree) you'll never find this out. I saw it several times each day in the last two years while I worked part time as a delivery driver

trevorthebusdriver

Deep undercover.

I have seen an unmarked silver Dodge Magnum with cars pulled over several times between Seattle and Federal Way.
No antennae, no WSP-XXX license plate. Nothing marked.

Leatherneck

Just a suggestion, if you won't pull over for an "Unmarked" be sure not to speed on I-5 between MP 200 and MP 220. This stretch has a high number of State and SCSO vehicles that are not only unmarked, they look just like something fresh off a dealer's lot. Everything from compacts to SUV's. They all DO have the blue/red strobes in the front/rear windows and the officers are in full uniform.

I-405's got a few of them as well.