Thread: 2008 federal case man w/ ak-47 type pistol arrested, GFL seized, gun confiscated

Banned

2008 federal case man w/ ak-47 type pistol arrested, GFL seized, gun confiscated

He was arrested and charged with a crime March 26, 2007. Criminal charges were dropped September 3, 2008. The Federal suit was settled july 28, 2009 probably at which time he received his property back.

I wonder if he "notified" the cop that he had those handguns...

Banned

Banned
    Answer- you'll notice the defendant is never wrong and has not violated any civil rights.

Last edited by kwikrnu; 07-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Banned

Banned

Hmmmmm....

I just pm'd JRM to ask him about it. It looks like an interesting subject.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Hmmmmm....

I just pm'd JRM to ask him about it. It looks like an interesting subject.
    It was settled in late 2009. So there is no record of what happened. There was motion to drop DeKalb Co. I'm guessing they dropped the County when they returned the guns and gfl and maybe promised some training, but am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    It was settled in late 2009. So there is no record of what happened. There was motion to drop DeKalb Co. I'm guessing they dropped the County when they returned the guns and gfl and maybe promised some training, but am not sure.
    Well. there's the record that it happened, and I'm guessing a court order to return plaintiff's property.

JRM didn't have a lot to say about the case other than "...It was such an out of the ordinary case, it's difficult to imagine it being useful for others. The cop had no idea what he was talking about, and still insisted it was an SBR after the GBI said it wasn't, the ATF said it wasn't, and I hired an expert witness that said it wasn't. The officer testified that what made it a rifle was the fact that it had a rifled bore! I suspect, but do not know, that when defense counsel was faced with the impossible task of finding an expert witness to rebut that, she decided to go the settlement route..."

That admission alone was made my whole interest worthwhile.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Well. there's the record that it happened, and I'm guessing a court order to return plaintiff's property.

JRM didn't have a lot to say about the case other than "...It was such an out of the ordinary case, it's difficult to imagine it being useful for others. The cop had no idea what he was talking about, and still insisted it was an SBR after the GBI said it wasn't, the ATF said it wasn't, and I hired an expert witness that said it wasn't. The officer testified that what made it a rifle was the fact that it had a rifled bore! I suspect, but do not know, that when defense counsel was faced with the impossible task of finding an expert witness to rebut that, she decided to go the settlement route..."

That admission alone was made my whole interest worthwhile.
    That cop must not have liked the plaintiff. In my federal lawsuit against a park ranger for civil rights violations for detaining me for carrying my ak-47 type pistol they recognize it as a pistol.

Maybe some of your'n' is smarter than ours's.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    That cop must not have liked the plaintiff. In my federal lawsuit against a park ranger for civil rights violations for detaining me for carrying my ak-47 type pistol they recognize it as a pistol.
    They sure did. Of course it was after ATF ran the serial number and confirmed it had been manufactured as a pistol. Then everyone knew and recognized it as a pistol.

Agencies were quick to issue, for officer safety, and yours, information BOLO's stating that if you were seen carrying the AK, it is indeed a legal pistol and you did have a valid carry permit.
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

i know the settlement is not provided since its not published, but i wonder if the amount paid by the county is subject to a Georgia Open Records request.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    i know the settlement is not provided since its not published, but i wonder if the amount paid by the county is subject to a Georgia Open Records request.....
    I'd be interested in finding out. The County was dropped from the suit early on. I'm not sure if they were dropped after returning the weapons and the gfl or if there was a monetary settlment.