• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-Gun Activists Plan to Walk the Pier Despite Possible Arrest

heliopolissolutions

"He [Green] asked whether or not he could walk on the pier," Leonardi said. "And I'm being absolutely candid with you, I don't know the answer to that question and can't give it to him. I need the city attorney to tell us what's parkland and what's not parkland."

It always gives me a bittersweet feeling when I realize that the knuckleheads 'running the show' are completely incompetent.

lotar4life

Harley Green and his South Bay Open Carry organization intend to gather Aug. 7 with their handguns, risking a violation of the law.

http://redondobeach.patch.com/artic...o-walk-the-pier-despite-warning-from-the-city

Do you know the law? I will look into this myself and I will be at this meet up.

Comments?

I myself am going to try to be at this meet up. It's my fathers b-day and I will probably be out on the boat with family but if not, I will definitely attend.

From the (Hermosa) map on southbayopencarry.org, it shows the actual pier colored as part of parks/beaches which if it's a city park, etc., would be off limits to OC.

See map:
http://www.hermosabch.org/police/docs/1000RadiusAroundSchools.pdf

Is this the case for Redondo? I don't know. I will try to dig a bit and find out.

Mike Hawk

What's the PC?
12027(g) I believe. It's in a listing of exemptions to 12025.

12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

Last edited:

Decoligny

12027(g) I believe. It's in a listing of exemptions to 12025.

12027. Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

Remember, this is an exemption to 12025 only, not 12031. Under this exemption you still cannot carry it loaded, you can only carry it concealed.

DEFENSOR

Redondo Pier Shopping Center

The Redondo city website has two zoning maps, both of them label the entire pier shopping center
as "Coastal Commercial" Neither of them label it as a park, parkland or open area. The web version
of the maps come complete with the official disclaimer in that they are not necessarily the be all end all
if there happen to be a legal dispute of some nature. It was recommended on the site that for legal
purposes an official copy be obtained. I did just that today at City Hall (415 Diamond st. Redondo Beach)
It is in with the police station at the corner of P.C.H. and Diamond St. I forgot, the city planning desk has
these for $2.00, they or at door "E" in city hall.

I think that would be enough to discredit anyones claim that the area were a park. I found no code
prohibiting open carry in a "Coastal Commercial" zone. Furthermore there is no posted prohibition of
open carry at the shopping center, I will be there with bells on.

DEFENSOR

Mike Hawk

The Redondo city website has two zoning maps, both of them label the entire pier shopping center
as "Coastal Commercial" Neither of them label it as a park, parkland or open area. The web version
of the maps come complete with the official disclaimer in that they are not necessarily the be all end all
if there happen to be a legal dispute of some nature. It was recommended on the site that for legal
purposes an official copy be obtained. I did just that today at City Hall (415 Diamond st. Redondo Beach)
It is in with the police station at the corner of P.C.H. and Diamond St. I forgot, the city planning desk has
these for $2.00, they or at door "E" in city hall.

I think that would be enough to discredit anyones claim that the area were a park. I found no code
prohibiting open carry in a "Coastal Commercial" zone. Furthermore there is no posted prohibition of
open carry at the shopping center, I will be there with bells on.

DEFENSOR

Way to nail down the info, Defensor! :banana:

lotar4life

The only thing I can see according to Google maps that is an area of possible avoidance would be Veterans Park to the immediate South of the Pier area. The closest K-12 school is approx. 1500-2000 feet away from the pier.

All things standing, it looks fine to OC on that pier so far as I can tell.

ryanburbridge

August 7th, Redondo Pier Open Holster Carry

http://www.southbayopencarry.org/2010/07/27/august-7th-redondo-pier-open-carry/

UPDATE – Open Holster Only
The city of Redondo Beach has informed us that they will be considering the pier to be park land. This means that carrying firearms on the pier outside of commercial areas is prohibited. For this event please plan on bringing your empty holster in lieu of this recent change of events. We will still be spreading our message and with even more purpose. Looking at recent crime reports, since the passage of their ordinance banning firearms in parks aggravated assault instances have dramatically increased, despite overall crime decreasing. Clearly gun control does nothing but make victims out of innocent civilians by stripping them of their right to defend themselves in public.
It is sad that the city could not provide a simple answer to this question weeks ago when first asked. They have changed their position this week from stating the pier is not a park, to claiming that it is a park. Looks like not all cities’ police departments can be as professional and responsible as Hermosa Beach’s!
Despite the cities claim that it is park land there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, I will provide it here for your own purposes and the record:
1) The police departments crime website does not list the pier as a park:
http://www.southbayopencarry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/redondopierpdreport.pdf
2) The park and rec page does not list the pier as a park:
http://www.redondo.org/depts/public_works/parks/default.asp
3) The Redondo zoning map lists the pier as commercial, not park:
http://www.southbayopencarry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/redondo-zoning.pdf
4) If the pier was a park why do they have duplicate municipal codes banning dogs and skateboarding, if it was a park the park codes would apply:
http://www.qcode.us/codes/redondobeach/view.php?topic=12-2&showAll=1&frames=on
5) Their own municipal code clearly defines the pier as a commercial business district:
http://www.qcode.us/codes/redondobeach/view.php?topic=5-2-3&showAll=1&frames=on
6) The police (Lt. Wrightsman) admit that open carry in commercial space is not prohibited:
“Therefore, carrying a firearm on the Pier (other than on commercial space and in parking space) would be a violation of Redondo Beach Municipal Code Section 4-35.20(a). ”
7) John, in an email I have, from Redondo Recreation & Community Services is not aware of the pier being a park:
“Not that I am aware –John”
8 ) Verbal statements from city attorneys stating that the pier is not considered a park, witnesses willing to provide sworn affidavits.
9) Cities can not preempt California State law. State law does not prohibit open carrying in municipal parks even if the pier really is a park.
10) Many believe the McDonald USC decision affirms citizens rights to bear arms in public, overturning any local and state restrictions.

heliopolissolutions

Yar, walk the plant.

DEFENSOR: I meant the info on what the city itself had to say regarding zoning, I think you'd mentioned they had some literature on it.

Ryan: Think they've got the stones to book 50 men on a muni code that doesn't apply to the area?