• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed or not?

If you can't tell it is a gun is it concealed?

• Concealed Carry

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Open Carry

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Everyone thinks it is a pocket knife when they see it. If you can't tell it is a gun, is it concealed even though there is a piece showing?

Attachments

• IMG00049-20100728-1841.jpg
    IMG00049-20100728-1841.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG00049-20100728-1841.jpg
    IMG00049-20100728-1841.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 140

daddy4count

Just my opinion, but if you cannot tell what it is by looking at it: Concealed

I think the WA state law makes reference to making an effort to conceal... but doesn't specifically define what that means, AFAIK

Your state may be different?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The previous pics are of the "holster grip" on my NAA revolver.

Kel-Tec has a clip that screws on to their frame; If all you see is the little clip, is the Kel-tec exposed?
KELTEC_P32_BELT_CLIP.JPG

What about the clip on your standard IWB holster?
2042913480098336179S600x600Q85.jpg

Where is the line drawn?

Dreamer

Accordingto the Attorney General of NC, if a firearm that is being carried on the person is not easily recognizable as a firearm to a reasonable person, then it is concealed.

So the above pictured carry modes would classify as "concealed" under NC standards and practices.

Those tiny NAA revolvers that mount in a belt buckle--even when in "plain view", fall under the NC AG's interpretation (in fact, the interpretation specifically articulates such belt-buckle guns), because they can easily be mistaken as an ornamental buckle...

However, in NC, a 1911 in an IWB holster, with the majority of the grip visible would NOT classify as concealed, because it is "easily recognizable as a firearm".

Of course, the standard for what denotes "concealed" varies WILDLY from state to state, and in some places, even from officer to officer. In matters of "non-conventional" carry modes and whether or not a given instance is or is not "concealed, it is often left to the courts to decide. If a LEO says it's "concealed", you are NOT going to argue your way out of it standing on the street. But it CAN (and usually IS) very easy to argue out of such a charge when you are finally standing before the bench...

NC Judge: Officer Smith, what is the charge?
Smith: Carrying concealed without a permit.
Plaintiff: And how, Officer Smith did you know I was carrying a firearm?
Smith: Because I could clearly see there was a handgun sticking out of your waistband.
Plaintiff: How did you know it wasn't a cell phone, or some sort of tool, or a walkman?
Smith: because anyone could plainly see it was a gun.
NC Judge: Case Dismissed...

Of course, in any other state, YMMV.

The bottom line is , if you are OCing, and you get charges with Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, the FIRST thing you should do is STFU.

And the second thing you should do is LAWYER UP...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Mlb

I was recently at a MLB game...

After an hour and a half my buddy and I were walking around the concourse....

I was carrying my Kel Tec P32 in my back pocket.....

I was asked by an 'Alcohol Enforcement' agent to drop my "knife" into my pocket.....

He walked away.... I complied for the next inning......

Of course it was no pocket knife....

It was the first time in 10+ years of carrying a KelTec P32 in this manner that it was mistaken for a pocket knife....