• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB1108 Question

Grimes

I know you cannot conceal until 21, but how does SB1108 help 18-20 year olds. What about having your firearm in the glove box?

sonoran_Tj

Long time lurker, first time poster chiming in here. I too am curious about this as I am 18 years old and in AZ. I have not yet open carried because I do not understand how to legally. Specifically, I don't understand the law regarding vehicles. In what setups can I have my pistol in a vehicle? With the new law, I should be able to carry on my person as a pedestrian so long as part or all of the firearm or holster is visible, right? My carry setup will be either an XD or a 1911 on a belt holster. Can I wear this in a vehicle, or is that illegal?

GF

People without a permit have always been able to place their firearms in a glove box or center console (as long as they are in a holster), and this includes 18-20 year olds. As far as carrying on your person in your vehicle when you are driving or what not, you are going to get different responses as far as what is "legal". I know this has been posted before and I'm sure someone will help clarify being that I am not as familiar with it as others.

Last edited:

Snakemathis

I may be wrong but based on everything I have read regarding the new CC law, I believe it is now perfectly legal to leave your firearm on your belt while driving. I may be wrong but I have yet to read anything that screams its illegale. If so I hope I dont get stopped tonight cuz its staying on my belt. :p

Grimes

Yes you can Snakemathis.........as long as your 21+.

If your one of us 18-20 year olds, then it has to go in the glovebox while you drive.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

I know you cannot conceal until 21, but how does SB1108 help 18-20 year olds. What about having your firearm in the glove box?
First and foremost, please read the law: http://tinyurl.com/ARS133102 .

All the prior language (for 21 and over) about belt holster and vehicle carry has been deleted, along with the lanugage making a crime to not have a permit when you carry discreetly (most of the time).

You can find more at AzCDL's "news" page: http://www.azcdl.org/html/news.html .

Fred
http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html

azcdlfred

Whoops! I overlooked the part of your question about ages 18-21. You can find the answers in ARS 13-3102.B.1 & B.3 of http://tinyurl.com/ARS133102 .

Specifically, ARS 13-3102.B.3(e) allows 18-21 year olds to carry a holstered gun in the glove box.

Fred

Ltp0wer

People without a permit have always been able to place their firearms in a glove box or center console (as long as they are in a holster), and this includes 18-20 year olds. As far as carrying on your person in your vehicle when you are driving or what not, you are going to get different responses as far as what is "legal". I know this has been posted before and I'm sure someone will help clarify being that I am not as familiar with it as others.

Whoops! I overlooked the part of your question about ages 18-21. You can find the answers in ARS 13-3102.B.1 & B.3 of http://tinyurl.com/ARS133102 .

Specifically, ARS 13-3102.B.3(e) allows 18-21 year olds to carry a holstered gun in the glove box.

Fred
You both are not completely correct.

ARS 13-3102 B3e said:
3. A firearm that is carried in:
(e) A case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation OR within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.
That OR is very important. It means that a firearm can be carried ANYWHERE in the car as long as it is in a case, holster, scabbard, pack, or luggage. If not in any of those, it needs to be in a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk, or glove compartment.

What I usually do when I am open carrying and enter my vehicle, I take the gun out of the holster on my hip and put it in the glovebox UNHOLSTERED. I do this because I don't like the seatbelt interfering with my gun.

It's a common misconception.