Thread: Need clarification please on open carry while driving

Need clarification please on open carry while driving

I open carry alot between my XD-45 and my 1911.
    But I am not clear on the laws of open carrying while driving.
    Here are some examples that of where I am confused....Thank you in advance.
    *Say I get into my truck and the seatbelt covers the gun/holster is that considered concealed?
    *Can I unholster either gun (not to comfortable to drive with) and place in my door panel or center storage?

thats about it.
    thank you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by factorysponsered View Post
    *Say I get into my truck and the seatbelt covers the gun/holster is that considered concealed?
    No, the vehicle and all parts of it are considered an obstacle, in much the same way a door or wall is an obstacle. Moving behind a door/wall would not be concealing, nor is wearing a seat belt. You should consider your ability to draw said weapon if the seat belt is coving it however.
    Quote Originally Posted by factorysponsered View Post
    *Can I unholster either gun (not to comfortable to drive with) and place in my door panel or center storage?
    Absolutely. You can place the gun anywhere you choose in the vehicle. Again in this instance the vehicle is an obstacle.

This has been talked about quite a bit, and this is the consensus. YMMV, IANAL, but this is how I carry as well, either seatbelt across if a short trip, or holstered in a back of seat map-pocket for longer trips and easy drawing.
    Last edited by gmijackso; 07-29-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Yes. As long as it's not concealed on your person. Your seatbelt does not conceal your firearm. You can have it ANYWHERE in your truck.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Sabotage70
    first off-love the red dragons signature

thank you guys for clearing that up.
    i drive a chevy with the bench front seat with the fold down console. so thats the best place for me to place them.

I am considering mounting a holster somewhere, just got to figure that out

My wife likes the dash board. She says it stops would be road ragers in their "penis mobiles". That's her description of guys with large trucks.

Just thought I would share my car carry rig. Better than leaving a firearm on the seat or dash, but that's just MHO

Is it the same in Cali? I was told decades ago that if you had a gun and ammo in a vehicle that they had to be in seperate places. Like the gun in the back seat, and the ammo in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner1911 View Post
    My wife likes the dash board. She says it stops would be road ragers in their "penis mobiles". That's her description of guys with large trucks.
    hahaha, well its a full size diesel thats not lifted because I use it for alot of hauling.
    But if your driving a Prius I will run you over lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2upFZ1 View Post
    Is it the same in Cali? I was told decades ago that if you had a gun and ammo in a vehicle that they had to be in seperate places. Like the gun in the back seat, and the ammo in the trunk.
    No, all those stupid PRK laws, forget about them. You can carry fully loaded any where in your car. Just don't conceal on your person.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2upFZ1 View Post
    that gives california the ability to charge you with premiditation.

Oh, Cali. When I was 18-20 I just used to Carry a rifle in the trunk with loaded mags in the glove box, closest I could get to carry. Though in my experience that was still risky, as one D-bag cop tried to get me to go to jail for having discarded targets in my car. "You better tell me where you are hiding the gun, or I will take your ass to jail."
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

LOL Kali land of fairies, goblins, dragons, and all other make believe things.

Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    "You better tell me where you are hiding the gun, or I will take your ass to jail."
    **** that cop. I hope he realizes his grandmother is being skullf***ed in Hell for him acting like that to a citizen.

[/bad day]

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    **** that cop. I hope he realizes his grandmother is being skullf***ed in Hell for him acting like that to a citizen.

[/bad day]
    Lol? He was a D-bag, but I don't know if I hate him that much. That particular cop is well known around my old home town as the biggest ***** to walk the earth, but I'm yet to ever see a cop get "fired." I know he has a complaint list longer than the healthcare bill.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

CA is totally different

CA carry is unloaded and locked in a secure case-no mags more then ten rounds. case law says you do not need to separate ammo but it is a really good idea to do it to save yourself a trip to jail.