• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back to Alabama Again...

proud_to_serveUSAF

I'm headed back down to work on our house in Glencoe and of course will be OCing as usual the whole time I'm down there. I haven't seen much on here as far as that area and definitely haven't seen anyone else OCing while in town so I'm trying to find a good pamphlet to carry and handout for Alabama carry. Anyone know of any? And I know I could normally search for it but for some reason the page won't load right now.

eye95

Glencoe is in Calhoun County which is probably one of the worst places in the US to OC. The sheriff there is convinced that OC is illegal. He seems to be on a power trip and refuses to acknowledge that OC is legal. He strikes me as an old-time sheriff who thinks he runs the county.

If you OC there, be prepared to be arrested. Follow the instructions of any deputy that you encounter. I have little doubt that you could easily run into a trigger-happy deputy who would misinterpret any move you make that he did not specifically tell you to make.

Keep your recorder running at all times so you don't have to move to start it. I would get one that looks like some other harmless piece of equipment that everyone might carry, as I have no faith in the SD not to violate your property rights to protect the power that they believe is theirs.

I don't mean to scare you, but we keep track of these things. If I were to grade sheriff's departments, Calhoun would earn a 0 on a scale of 100. The only personal Liberty that exists in that county are the Liberties that the sheriff decides that you have.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

B1911

O
Glencoe is in Calhoun County which is probably one of the worst places in the US to OC. The sheriff there is convinced that OC is illegal. He seems to be on a power trip and refuses to acknowledge that OC is legal. He strikes me as an old-time sheriff who thinks he runs the county.

If you OC there, be prepared to be arrested. Follow the instructions of any deputy that you encounter. I have little doubt that you could easily run into a trigger-happy deputy who would misinterpret any move you make that he did not specifically tell you to make.

Keep your recorder running at all times so you don't have to move to start it. I would get one that looks like some other harmless piece of equipment that everyone might carry, as I have no faith in the SD not to violate your property rights to protect the power that they believe is theirs.

I don't mean to scare you, but we keep track of these things. If I were to grade sheriff's departments, Calhoun would earn a 0 on a scale of 100. The only personal Liberty that exists in that county are the Liberties that the sheriff decides that you have.

Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Oh crap Eye, don't tell me that ...I live in talladega county but 90% of my time is spent in Oxford and anniston ( Calhoun county)

proud_to_serveUSAF

Haha. I haven't run across any LEO in Glencoe but I have in Gadsden and the Jack's that's out towards Hokes Bluff but it was H.B. officers I don't think. I know H.B. won't be a problem because the chief there is a close friend and if Gadsden or Glencoe want to make a false arrest, that's great. I know a lot of great lawyers very well there. And plenty of time to sit in a courtroom haha. I've been carrying everywhere I go there for about two weeks every month for the past six months and haven't had one problem yet. But whenever I go long times without any encounter, the one that breaks the streak is usually a pretty bad one. So recorder is ready, I'm working on getting QIK to work on my phone so that any video will be streamed straight to a server and can't be erased from the phone. I'll let you guys know how it goes and thanks for the words of wisdom.

denwego

I OC'd in Gadsden and Attila, almost exactly a year ago, for a couple of days while I was moving from Virginia Beach to Houston. Granted, I stuck close to the hotel and the various restaurants along I-59, but I never had any troubles or second-glances from anyone. The nonsensical requirement for a permit to carry in a car made me happen I had spent the $20 for a non-resident NH permit, but I never concealed in that area while I was on foot.

It looks like Glencoe is primarily in Etowah County; does anyone know if Etowah's SD is more up-to-speed than the Calhoun bunch?

AL Ranger

I'm headed back down to work on our house in Glencoe and of course will be OCing as usual the whole time I'm down there. I haven't seen much on here as far as that area and definitely haven't seen anyone else OCing while in town so I'm trying to find a good pamphlet to carry and handout for Alabama carry. Anyone know of any? And I know I could normally search for it but for some reason the page won't load right now.
As Eye95 told you, just be careful and keep the recorder running. If you need a pamphlet, come on over to www.alabamaopencarry.com and download the tri-fold summary from the Documents and Tool page. We hope you will join us on AOC and be a regular contributor.

proud_to_serveUSAF

So I'm back to VA and I gotta say, it went great while in Alabama. Lowes (of course), Jacks, Burger King, WalMart, Dollar General in Glencoe, Advance Auto Parts, Chevy dealership, Academy Sports, McDonalds, Tractor Supply, some little pizza place near the old WalMart building, and a few other little places. The only comment I had was from an employee in Advance Auto saying I must've been scared they were going to rob me because I brought a gun in her store. I told her with their prices, it seems I was right. lol. Overall good experience. Was around several officers while carrying and nothing was said. And I printed out that pamphlet from Alabama Open Carry. Came in handy.

AL Ranger

Alabama Open Carry

Stop by Alabama Open Carry more often. We welcome even part-time residents or those military away from home. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Dianosis

I heard thru the grapevine that Anniston MAY have an open carry ordinance. I called Anniston PD today and talked to a Lt. George. I asked him if Anniston had an ordinance that prohibited open carry. He told me that we was not aware of any ordinance like that and he had been there 17 years. I also asked how the department handled Open Carry and he said they go by state law. I said because it's my understanding that Open Carry is legal in Alabama, and he said he thought that it was the way it always had been by as well.
Then said again, in 17 years he never even heard of anyone being charged with an open carry violation.

B1911

Ive never had a problem while in anniston even ate at a awful waffle house sitting in plain view of a APD officers the noticed my 45 but stayed at their table