• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed/open carry question

devildoc5

you are not required to conceal.

The answer to your question then would be the amount of concealment you feel is appropriate.

Or the amount of concealment needed to bypass "target rich" environments (no carry places)

Although the second is not entirely recommended as it could present some "problems" with business owners and such.... (possibly even civil penalties)

devildoc5

TECHNICALLY no.

HOWEVER there is always the overzealous LEO on every force that may just decide he wants to screw with you today.

Generally though there is no set requirement to be concealed if you have a CPL.

CPL means you CAN carry concealed not that you have to. If a piece of the weapon is showing (and in the holster) it is partially concealed and partially open right? (others opinions may vary but this is my understanding at least as far as I have known)

You have a CPL to conceal and anyone can OC in WA.

Short answer to your question is no.

lakewood226

I would consider myself young and my sense of "fashion" is t-shirt/jeans/dickies shorts/hoodie. As far as a cpl goes, my wife and I got one so we would not have to clear the weapons before getting in the car. I oc if the weather is great but if it is hoodie weather the bottom of my serpa hangs down a little. No one seems to notice/care. As for you worries, don't stress; most people will not even notice you have a sidearm. As for LEOs, their job is to enforce not interpret the law. Unless you are trying to fight someone whilst oc-ing you should be fine. Worst comes to worst and you are harassed just stay polite and comply. Worst case scenario is you get a special court ordered stimulus check.

Holey 1

I'm in gig harbor and I really cant recall ever seeing someone oc here but I do frequent the range here so that's prolly my best bet

Let me know next time yer feelin' froggy and if I can get away, I'll go with ya.
Or maybe I'll see you at the GHSC range some time.

Batousaii

Peeking out is OK

I often carry my Vaquero in a straight belt rig on rainy days. The holster does stick out from the bottom of my jacket, it does make a bulge, it is obviously a not so well concealed sixgun - no i have never recieved any flack for it. People just go about their business.

- If you have your CPL, then you can wear it as you please, Open, Concealed, or anything in between. You could wear spandex with the handle of your 8" .44 mag revolver sticking out, while the rest of it prints out every detail ... not that it would be a pretty sight... i'm just sayin.... Wear your firearm however you so desire, just do so safely. With CPL, anything goes for your sense of fashion.

Have fun, be safe, Welcome to the Forum :)

Bat

Last edited:

joejoejoe

Some states require that when you open carry, it must be in PLAIN view. Some states require that you HAVE to conceal. Washington State requires that IF you conceal, you have a permit to do so. They have NO restrictions on how you openly carry (except that you don't warrant alarm or intimidate but that's not the point) . Should your open carry be in the "gray" as to whether or not you need a license, then just be sure to keep your CPL on you. Ha, my English teacher would always say (when talking about commas), "When in doubt, leave it out!" So, I say the same to you about your gun. :)

Joe~

TechnoWeenie

So I couldn't get in trouble from a Leo if the top of the barrel was showing a little from my shitt?

You'll probably be asked why you felt the need to cover your firearm in crap..

:D

amlevin

TECHNICALLY no.

HOWEVER there is always the overzealous LEO on every force that may just decide he wants to screw with you today.

You mean the ones that look down their noses at you while holding up your DL and CPL while saying "Concealed means exactly that, CONCEALED"? The same ones that tell you that local law can be more restrictive than State and takes precedent? You probably do cause they're everwhere. Just like weeds in a lawn.

joejoejoe

I don't just comply, I don't resist but I don't just comply. You are not required to follow unlawful orders.

Never let a cop harass you into doing something! flexyourrights.org will help you realize your rights as a citizen. That's why we recommend that you do not carry your CPL while you open carry. This way, if a cop asks you to cover up, it is coercion.

Joe~

daddy4count

The same ones that tell you that local law can be more restrictive than State and takes precedent?
Officer, you must be referring to RCW 9.41.290. But I'm afraid you have it backward... the STATE preempts the CITY. If you would like to discuss it further downtown I am confident we can square this away with an unlawful arrest lawsuit...

:p

sudden valley gunner

Never let a cop harass you into doing something! flexyourrights.org will help you realize your rights as a citizen. That's why we recommend that you do not carry your CPL while you open carry. This way, if a cop asks you to cover up, it is coercion.

Joe~

I am a huge propenent of carrying sterile. No CPL and no ID. And I don't let the cops harass me into doing anything. Matter of fact I told Chief Deputy Doll that I will not disarm for his "officers" saftey, if there is no RAS. And his officers haven't in subsequent encounters. They still make me very nervous because of my previous encounters, but I stand strong for our rights.

I am also not a gun dork and do not inform officers if I get pulled over, that I am armed.

Joe you seem to think on some similar lines of me so far read Roger Roots "Are Cops Constitutional" great read. It goes into some good detail about not just police but how the judicial branch is supposed to actually be carried out.