• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hiking & Carrying

langzaiguy

I was searching various MeetUp groups in the area and found a Bluegrass Hikers group I was really excited on joining. I noticed one of their rules, however, mentioned "no firearms concealed or openly carried". I thought it was really strange why they would even make a rule like that, especially after the recent mauling in RRG. I wrote the moderator an email:

Hi, I was interested in joining your group as I'm an avid
outdoorsman. When in the wilderness, I always try to be
prepared & safe. I noticed that one of your rules prohibited
firearms which is contradictory to my personal protocol. I
thought this was a random, rather unexpected regulation. Is
there any chance of changing this strange rule?

His response:
Many of our members have expressed a desire for this rule, as they are
uncomfortable with the idea of being in the woods with someone they don't know
very well carrying a gun. I tend to be in agreement with them. There are plenty
of other hiking groups around and they may share your "personal protocol" and
allow guns. I suggest you look into them.

It seems strange to me. I'm going to go hiking whether I'm part of the group or not. I'm going to be carrying whether I'm part of the group or not. It's entire possible and probable that we'll sometime be hiking the same neck of the woods anyways. I don't know exactly why I'm trying to make sense of this rule. I guess I can't begin to image why someone conjure up a Gun-Free policy and advertise it to the world.

Since they always publicly advertise where they're hiking, I'm really tempted to show up on public land and hike behind them--hey it's a free country. I'm not going to, but still, it would be amusing.

neuroblades

I was searching various MeetUp groups in the area and found a Bluegrass Hikers group I was really excited on joining. I noticed one of their rules, however, mentioned "no firearms concealed or openly carried". I thought it was really strange why they would even make a rule like that, especially after the recent mauling in RRG. I wrote the moderator an email:

Hi, I was interested in joining your group as I'm an avid
outdoorsman. When in the wilderness, I always try to be
prepared & safe. I noticed that one of your rules prohibited
firearms which is contradictory to my personal protocol. I
thought this was a random, rather unexpected regulation. Is
there any chance of changing this strange rule?

His response:
Many of our members have expressed a desire for this rule, as they are
uncomfortable with the idea of being in the woods with someone they don't know
very well carrying a gun. I tend to be in agreement with them. There are plenty
of other hiking groups around and they may share your "personal protocol" and
allow guns. I suggest you look into them.

It seems strange to me. I'm going to go hiking whether I'm part of the group or not. I'm going to be carrying whether I'm part of the group or not. It's entire possible and probable that we'll sometime be hiking the same neck of the woods anyways. I don't know exactly why I'm trying to make sense of this rule. I guess I can't begin to image why someone conjure up a Gun-Free policy and advertise it to the world.

Since they always publicly advertise where they're hiking, I'm really tempted to show up on public land and hike behind them--hey it's a free country. I'm not going to, but still, it would be amusing.

That would definitely make for an interesting hike for all! LOL

mellio

If it's the group on Meetup.com I know someone who regularly hikes with them and he is never without a gun. He does CC though. I am thinking of going with them soon and I can promise you I will have a .44 mag within close reach. If they were to be attacked by a predator and you pulled out a firearm I doubt you would be asked to leave the group. At least not untill AFTER the threat was gone ! LOL