• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry with questions

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Hello,
I am new to the open carry concept and have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers anywhere. Ok so lets start. Please number the answers to coincide with the questions. Ok here is a little about me. I am 20, a Ca resident, no restrictions for open carring.
1)Being 20 am i allowed to open carry "alone"? (I.E.:noone with me over 21)
2)To open carry do I have to take a handgun safety course? (I know I should and I fully intend to as soon as funds allow)
3)I saw the law about transportation but its slightly confusing. I know I can transport in a locked container but again do I need someone that is 21 with me?
4)The weapon of choice I intend to carry is a S&W model 629 .44 Mag revolver. There are no safeties. (I.E.: no thumb safety, no grip safety, no safety period). Is that going to be a problem in the state of california for open carry?

Ok I have an idea. For those of you that do not wish to carry an i.d. but want to drive and still be legal take this little piece of advice. Carry your i.d. in your shoe/sock. The cops dont check that and you can still have an i.d. on you. Thanks to whoever answers.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Welcome to OCDO.

No. This isnt like driver's education and obtaining a learner's permit. You are over 18. An adult. The firearm must be legally possessed- and likely through an interfamily transfer... (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)

2)To open carry do I have to take a handgun safety course? (I know I should and I fully intend to as soon as funds allow)

No. You only need to take a handgun safety test to aquire a HSC, which is required to purchase a handgun.

3)I saw the law about transportation but its slightly confusing. I know I can transport in a locked container but again do I need someone that is 21 with me?

No.

4)The weapon of choice I intend to carry is a S&W model 629 .44 Mag revolver. There are no safeties. (I.E.: no thumb safety, no grip safety, no safety period). Is that going to be a problem in the state of california for open carry?

This is very, very important: Hold your index finger about 12 inches from your face. Flex your index finger as if to wave hello to yourself. JUMPOFFBRIDGE89 meet 'booger hook'- 'booger hook' will be your safety. I am not aware of any requirements for firearms to have some external safety.

And before you attempt anything you read about here, please take the time to get educated on the law and the risks surrounding this demonstration of liberty. It would be wise to read as much as you can and locate a veteran member nearby. It doesnt take much to get sideways either legally or politically.

Last edited:

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Well like i said those were my only issues. I know the 12031(e) check. How to handle a police office (done it before for knives, speeding, etc just not guns). i have gotten to "know" the laws just as well as the back of my hand. The question I had were the only issues i was "fuzzy" on. And the trigger finger thing, nice, very nice, i know my finger is the safety i just didnt know if our wonderful politicians knew this. So thank you for answering my questions. Thanks for the joke. And i will get with other open carry people in town and ensure that i am "ready" to take on the task of protecting my 2nd and 4th ammendment rights. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

wewd

1) Yes. You can open carry at 18.

2) No. You only need a Handgun Safety Card (it's a question and answer test, not a course) to buy a handgun, to borrow one, or have one transferred to you from your parent or grandparent. Strictly speaking you do not need one to own a gun or to carry one.

3) No, but see below.

4) No.

I'll assume that you do not have an HSC and you will be borrowing the revolver from a parent or grandparent. You cannot take possession of it without the HSC. Taking possession means outside of their direct control and supervision. So you'll need to take the HSC test and get your card before you can borrow the gun to OC it. It costs $25 and can be taken at any gun shop that sells handguns (which means probably not Big 5 Sporting Goods), and you get the card immediately when you pass the test. The card is good for 5 years. It is only needed to buy, borrow, or transfer a gun to you. You don't need it to own a gun or carry one. You do not need to renew it in order to keep any guns that you already own.

As to your question about transporting the gun by yourself, again, you need an HSC to borrow the gun outside of the owner's control. What is your relationship to the revolver and its owner? If it belongs to a direct lineal family member (parent, grandparent), they could actually transfer the gun to you, and it would become your gun, registered in your name. Then you would not have to worry about borrowing and carrying the HSC card. You can transfer the gun in your name on the Operation of Law form.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

It costs $19 and is mailed to the state. They will conduct a background check on you, same as the one done on anyone who buys a gun, and if you pass, it will be registered in your name.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Thanks I have not seen/heard/read anything about the HSC and even though I do not need one to carry the gun I think that having one in a situation where a LEO does an illegal S&S for my i.d. and sees that there it may go one step more to ensuring that I walk away vs. "GOD" forbid me going to jail.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Thanks I have not seen/heard/read anything about the HSC and even though I do not need one to carry the gun I think that having one in a situation where a LEO does an illegal S&S for my i.d. and sees that there it may go one step more to ensuring that I walk away vs. "GOD" forbid me going to jail.

You really shouldn't carry ID on you in this state when you are open carrying. Do a search for "sterile carry" on this forum. One of our members who was found guilty for being within 1000' of a school (despite the fact that he was on private property, and thus not violating the law) was only able to be prosecuted because he had his ID on him. So do yourself a favor, don't carry your ID if you're open carrying (unless you're driving).

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Hence the idea for the shoe. Seeing how I am under 21 and buy products/watch movies/go into stores that require me to show id i need it on me. If in shoe the police never/ever search your shoe. been patted down a few times. watch cops as well when they frisk they dont look there. i dont look young but gf does so i get carded and so does she. and i have already done research on the "sterile" carry

heliopolissolutions

Shoes?!
Of course! BRILLIANT!
/sarcasm
Yes, they know people keep IDs and contraband in their shoes, and if they have RAS, you WILL be barefoot on the asphalt in the midsummer heat.

I think the most important lesson I, or any open carrier who has been accosted by the police has learned is to get a mother ******* voice recorder, and have it on you and running every second you are in public.

Welcome to the forums, what general area of California are you located in? I get the impression you may have moved here from another state.

Read the FAQs and know the laws, most importantly, know your rights and when to keep your trap shut.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Does anyone listen to anything someone posts? I know about voice recorders. I know about "sterile" carry. I know about the laws. I know how to handle a 12031(e) stop. I require an id on me for places I go. Not every 20 year old looks 30! And "in" the shoe idea. got to be smarter then just putting it in there. make a custom little pocket in the tongue or something a little more clever then just "in" there. So lets refresh! I REQUIRE AN I.D. ON ME! I KNOW THE LAWS! THE FEW I WAS FUZZY ABOUT ARE NOW CLEAR! I OWN A VOICE RECORDER AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT! And standing on the street... sit down put your legs out in front of you and crosss your ankles. Walla police cant tell you no because its what they usually tell you to do anyway and its the way they make you sit down when stopped and cuffed. :banghead::banghead::banghead: Born and raised california. am more redneck then anyone i "KNOW" (keyword there is know) and i want to move. This state sucks, our LEO's suck, our governor sucks, and our GUN LAWS SUCK! And keep my trap shut! GREAT ADVICE. Hmm i dont remember asking what to do when stopped. No wonder people get pissed off in these forums for people posting things repeatedly. In 50 posts i only saw 2 other people under 21 asking questions and no one even answered the questions the people asked. Thank "GOD" someone did here. and not one someone 2. My hats off to them. Also the only reason a LEO would have RAS to believe your i.d. was in your shoe is if you told them. or keep looking at your feet. or shuffling your feet. be smarter then the cops it aint hard trust me i know

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Hence the idea for the shoe. Seeing how I am under 21 and buy products/watch movies/go into stores that require me to show id i need it on me. If in shoe the police never/ever search your shoe. been patted down a few times. watch cops as well when they frisk they dont look there. i dont look young but gf does so i get carded and so does she. and i have already done research on the "sterile" carry

Hmm...I missed the shoe part. I guess if I were in your situation then the shoe would be the next best thing. I never really get carded unless I'm buying alcohol. I can't think of too many situations a 20 year old may be required to prove that he was over 18. Movies (as you pointed out), some clubs (although dancing with a sidearm would prove difficult), sex shops (an option would be to LUCC or lock the sidearm in your car), buying cigarettes, or getting a tattoo or a piercing of some kind. I guess you must smoke and go to movies often.

One option to at least get your cigarettes is to buy them online or in bulk or at a shop that knows you're over 18. The movie thing may be more difficult, but I can't imagine a manager forgetting a guy carrying a handgun into his establishment. You may also be able to convince some people that you're over 18 with the mere fact that you are armed.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Thanks big. I do smoke occasionally. I go into a smoke shop quite often and they know who I am but they requer me to show it every time to cover there ass. And I go to differenT theaters not the same ones and watch r rated movies with my girl and they require id. I have tried the whole I got tats thing and it doesn't work so I assume the I am packing won't either.

pullnshoot25

Hello,
I am new to the open carry concept and have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers anywhere. Ok so lets start. Please number the answers to coincide with the questions. Ok here is a little about me. I am 20, a Ca resident, no restrictions for open carring.

Ok I have an idea. For those of you that do not wish to carry an i.d. but want to drive and still be legal take this little piece of advice. Carry your i.d. in your shoe/sock. The cops dont check that and you can still have an i.d. on you. Thanks to whoever answers.

See the OC FAQ in the sticky for this site.

heliopolissolutions

I'm not quite sure why you've got the attitude turned up so high.
Everyone here has only given you good advice, and offered help and wisdom.

I guess we should have known that you knew everything in the world, like every other 20 year old (myself included)?

Seriously, answers to everything you asked can be found with citations and sources for their info with a quick forum search or a trip to the FAQ.
Again, welcome to the forums, and I hope we can meet at one of the upcoming gatherings.

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Faq and search didnt get my questions answered. Sorry about the attitude but like I said it seems to me that every situation is different and you telling me not to carry an id when I said I needed it. And I know "everything". Please. No one knows everything. But it seems I only stepped on your toes. And I only snapped cause you were a **** in your first response so calm down. Try and type in 21 it doesn't work.

wewd

I'm going to turn this thread right back around if you kids don't knock it off back there.

Decoligny

To heck with the shoe idea. If you must carry an ID simply tell any officer that asks for one, "I am not required by law to show ID". Otherwise do not carry an ID on you at all. If you are driving, you are required to carry your license. When you park the car, lock the license in the glove compartment, or put it in the pocket of the sun visor, or in the trunk, just don't carry it on your person. Then if stopped for an e-check and they ask for ID, say no, I don't have ID and am not required to have ID.

Last edited:

JUMPOFFBRIDGE89

Ya huh uh me. Always me. SORRY SORRY SORRY. Ok I wont carry an i.d.! Happy!?:cry: hahahaha. Thanks everyone for the help, the jokes, the criticism, the advice, and helpin out a "newbie". I do appreciate it.

donny

20 years old and wants to carry a 44 mag. That alone says more about you than all the previous posts.