• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do in the Tacoma area?

okiephlyer

Me and a couple of friends will be in Tacoma for a short time next week. Arriving early afternoon on Thursday, Aug. 5th and leaving early morning on the 7th. Usually we tour the local gun shops and outdoor stores, and look for good local food. Bring on the recommendations.

sudden valley gunner

Me and a couple of friends will be in Tacoma for a short time next week. Arriving early afternoon on Thursday, Aug. 5th and leaving early morning on the 7th. Usually we tour the local gun shops and outdoor stores, and look for good local food. Bring on the recommendations.

Get out of Tacoma!!!!! LOL....
2 days is good, you guys carrying? OC? It's legal here without a permit, with very few restrictions. Seattle is less than an hr. away (depending on traffic) Pike's place, Cabelas is south of Tacoma in Lacey. Maybe some of the South Sounders can help ya better than me.

jbone

Local Food in Tacoma? you mean like McDonalds? Not sure there are any native dishes to sample there.
Seems theres lots of OCers own that area and close to, hope they get a hold of you.

okiephlyer

Get out of Tacoma!!!!! LOL....
2 days is good, you guys carrying? OC? It's legal here without a permit, with very few restrictions. Seattle is less than an hr. away (depending on traffic) Pike's place, Cabelas is south of Tacoma in Lacey. Maybe some of the South Sounders can help ya better than me.

I OC more than they do, but we all carry all the time.
This is a trip we make yearly and the past few years we have gone to the Seattle area, done Pike's Place, etc.
Your comment on "Get out of Tacoma!!!!! " is that indicating that Tacoma is not a safe place to be, not much going on, or something else?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Quick Pick in Fife

Just a few minutes from the Tacoma Dome and downtown Tacoma on I-5 is the freeway town of Fife. We have had a couple of OC get togethers at the Pick Quick. They are very OC friendly as the owner stood up for us one night an anti was appalled that we would wear our firearms in the open. Classic greasy spoon with burgers, chilli dogs, milkshakes, etc....

daddy4count

Also in Fife is the Poodle Dog restaurant... great place.

Engine House #9 and the Pacific Grill are tasty eats in Tacoma.

Also check out Jazzbones or Chopstix for a drink and live music.

Bobarino

Local gun shops: Bull's Eye on Puyallup ave, Mary's Pistols on Tyler, the Marksman on Canyon Rd, Welcher's on 64th and Pacific Ave, Sportco in Fife on 20th, Warehouse Sports in Federal way (a short drive north) on 348th and Highway 99.

There's the Washington State History Museum on Pacific Ave downtown and the Melting Pot is near there. For the best deli sandwiches anywhere, hit MSM Deli on 6th and State. if you like mexican, try Masa or Asado on 6th ave also, just west of MSM. Frisko Freeze on Division near Tacoma General hospital is the best greasy spoon in Tacoma. there's always Ruston way with it's walk along the water and plethora of restaurants. Check out Pt Defiance and Owen's Beach and rent a Kayak and paddle around the sound.

lemme know if there's anything specific you're looking for in the area and i can probably point you in the right direction.

Bobby

Last edited:

oldkim

what part of Tacoma?

Grew up in Tacoma. Lots of things to do but depends on where you are and what you want to do.

For gun shops/ranges and such they pretty much covered it (above). If you want to try out some outdoor ranges then Tacoma Sportsmen's Club or Paul Bunyon (member only) are good ranges too.

Surplus Ammo near Joint Base Lewis McChord is also good and you can see the Tactical Tailor is right next to it.

Tacoma Dome, Tacoma Mall, waterfront (Rustin Way) and the zoo are prime touristy things to do.

That weekend is the WAC gun show in Puyallup but you leave that day.

As for food - Korean town is off Tacoma Way South. Nice restaurants down the waterfront (Rustin Way) - CI Shennanigans, Katy Downs, Lobstershop. Frisco Freeze (greasy hamburgers near Tacoma General/Mary Bridge Hospital).

PM or post on here on more detail of what you are looking for.

Bo

Tacoma is an underrated city, in my opinion. Suffers due to the constant and unavoidable comparisons to Seattle, but I think there's actually more to do in Tacoma than Seattle (assuming that you care about more than just good restaurants and trendy, expensive bars and nightclubs).

Previous posters noted the good gunshops in the area. I favor Mary's Pistols in Tacoma, but Bullseye is decent, and Cabelas (while overpriced somewhat) is great fun and a good day's entertainment.

As oldkim noted, Surplus Ammo & Arms and Tactical Tailor in Lakewood are worth a trip, too.

The waterfront is nice, downtown has some attractions, and I like all the Vietnamese restaurants on S. 38th.

Nice parks, decent zoo, plenty to do and see. Not dangerous at all unless you want to go hang out on the Hilltop after dark ...

Leatherneck

On Thursdays, Broadway is closed off between 9th S. and 11th S. for a farmer's type market. They've got a few food stands in there. I've only been once and stopped at the German Sausage stand. Mmmmmm......

Bull's Eye is a short jaunt south on Pacific Ave and take a left on Puyallup Ave.

tony d tiger

"Over 21" areas

While not legal for carry - good food to be had in Tacoma at "The Right Spot" in between the "Poodle Dog" and the "Pick Quick" already noted above; and in Lacey, the dinner specials at the "Log Cabin Tavern" are hard to beat.

sudden valley gunner

Nah I am from way up north in the state, close to Canada in Bellingham. What I said was mostly a joke, kind of. Tacoma doesn't have a great reputation as a great place. But there are some good things there, and I do find myself that way everyonce in awhile.

My freind was going to move to Tacoma and asked which part was the right/good side of the tracks I told him there are none both sides are bad.....LOL.

~FJ

If you happen to find your self in the lakewood area, you have

Quantico Arms & Tactical Supply
12314 Pacific Hwy SW
Lakewood, WA 98499

Surplus Ammo & Arms
12729 Pacific HWY S.W.
Lakewood, WA 98499

AND

Tactical Taylor right next door

North of the three shops is an indoor go-kart track.

Guns and Go-Karts good old fashion fun :D

okiephlyer

Stay tuned for further developments. Right now we are meeting up with a couple others from OCDO. Will let you know what and when. PM me with your contact info and I'll call when we get in town.
It was 105 today, so I am looking forward to some cooler weather for a few days.

okiephlyer

Just found out that due to a funeral, our arrival will be dealyed. It may be late Thursday or early afternoon on Friday. Will let you all know when I know.