• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite Brand of Gun Manufacturer and Why?

10A

I'm not going to get into oiling it with mud, but as far as I'm concerned the XD is superior in design, with more options. The frame rails in the XD are steel, and could be replaced if they wore out. If you managed to wear out a Glock frame, that's it. It's scrap plastic. Not that Glocks aren't great. The company is the pioneer in polymer frames, and still make the best quality polymer framed handguns on the market except for the XD. Just my 2 cents, flame on Glock lovers.:dude:

The frame rails on a Glock are made of what? I wonder how many Glocks out there actually have worn out rails? I know they made a bad batch where the rear rails were breaking and were recalled, but I've never heard of them wearing out. I'm sure they do eventually.

Don Barnett

My Screen Name Says It.

My screen name says it, but I carry a Smith and Wesson 686 with a 3" barrel. I found it cheap at a gun show many years ago and have become comfortable with it.

DEFENSOR

tough question

That's almost as hard as picking a favorite from amongst my three children. Love my Glock 21 for a carry gun even though it's hell to conceal comfortably. The rest of me is all nostalgia. Remington M1911A1 and Ruger single action.

M1911a1lvr

Kind of hard for me to say which brand is my favorite. Out of the 20+ guns that i have 3 are Springfields, 3 are Rugers and 3 are Mossbergs. They are all very reliable. But my SIG P229 is my current EDC, so not sure how i can rate which one i find to be the best brand. I like them all.

GWbiker

Is it Kalifornia legal? I don't see it on the handgun list.

Word I hear is the "Super Squirter" is legal for OC in California, if carried unloaded (empty) with water carried in a separate container.

PAPACHUCK

Springfield. I absolutely love my Sig, but I only have one of them and I have four XD's, so I guess that answers the question for me.

USMC1986

I love my Walther P99 simply because of its attractive polymer frame and its ergonomics. Definitely comparable to Glock. So why not a Glock? I think their design is ugly.

G20-IWB24/7

I'm not going to get into oiling it with mud, but as far as I'm concerned the XD is superior in design, with more options. The frame rails in the XD are steel, and could be replaced if they wore out. If you managed to wear out a Glock frame, that's it. It's scrap plastic. Not that Glocks aren't great. The company is the pioneer in polymer frames, and still make the best quality polymer framed handguns on the market except for the XD. Just my 2 cents, flame on Glock lovers.:dude:

And what are the rails made of in a Glock? Swiss cheese? Ever heard of a Glock 'wearing out' it's frame rails? (Or even an XD doing this?) Didn't think so.

And your info is incorrect, HK pioneered the polymer-framed handgun (google HK VP70).

If its all that superior in design, it should be no problem for them to make me a 10mm that will hold up to the abuse the G20 can take... they won't/don't because I personally don't think they're strong enough to do so.

Also, I prefer no grip safety, and like the fact that the Glocks stay PARTIALLY-cocked during carry, not FULLY-cocked like the XD's. Also, the mushy XD trigger and longer reset is not as condusive for overall accuracy and quick follow-up shots for me as my Glocks are.

As far as more options? How do you explain that? Glock currently produces guns in 7 calibers, SA XD in 4 (or is it 3). Glock makes a select-fire machine pistol, SA doesn't. Aftermarket parts are MUCH more common, and user-replaceable in the Glocks than the XD's.

This thread is about what your particular favorite gun manufacturer is and why...

....somehow the XD fanboys always turn these threads into an Glock-bashing thread. You rarely see a Glock shooter 'justify' his choice versus XD or others. Why do XD owners keep having to defend their choice? Know they're lacking something, eh?

rottman43055

wow, what a question

I LOVE several makes & models, but if I had to pick one, it would be the SA XD.

They seemed to have cherry picked so many of the best attributes of several guns & bundled them into one gun. No wonder they are such a hit with so many people.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Sig P229 (40S&W), Sig P250(40S&W)

Without any question Sig. To Hell and Back Reliability and NEVER had a failure of any sort. The 229 is carried by the Secret Service to guard POTUS.

p250Lighter.jpg

For me its Sig Sauer.

The quality and reliability are far above any other pistol I have owned.
Yes, they usually are twice the price of many combat pistols, but I believe its well worth it.

The ergonomics and factory sights are great too.

In most cases I dont even have to use the sights, because its pretty much a "point and click" handgun.

Also, with the forged stainless steel slide, .40 and .357-Sig calibers are very manageable regarding recoil. Even my 5'2" skinny asian girlfriend can shoot the pistol in the .357-sig cartridge and have no issues.

Some of the most elite forces in the world use Sigs. The British SAS, Navy SEALS, Canadian special forces, German Spezialeinsatzkommandos, Switzerland Infantry and the US Secret Service to name a few.

Love my Glock but those Sigs are looking mighty pretty (and pricey darn).

I haven't bought any of my SIG pistols new, and have never paid more than 600 for one, that deal included five mags and two barrels. There are some great deals around if you keep your eyes open.

I guess my list would be:
1-SIG SAUER (already posted about that)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

crdonov

I am big Springfield XD fan. Reliable, fits my hand like it was made for me and I am more accurate with it than any other handgun I have owned and I have owned a lot. But will probably add a S&W M&P when I refill my handgun collection. Maybe a Glock when I get another 10mm but I am hoping someone else will make a reliable polymer 10mm by then.
sterb260.gif

springfield xd all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xd-over

Tomas

My personal favorite is the all metal S&W pistols, more because I know every little part, how it works, and why than for any other reason. I understand them better than I do the others, and that makes me more comfortable with them.

It's just familiarity.

There may be others that are better, but I'm not as comfortable with them as I don't have the intimate knowledge of them.

Hopefully that makes sense to y'all. :lol:

Merlin45

Favorite carry gun? Gotta be my Taurus PT 145 in .45. Ten round mag, 230 grain Speer Gold Dot....DRT.....for the house? My Mossberg 590 12-gauge 8-shot, with sidesaddle and Streamlite.

COMMANDER1911

Metro Arms American Classic hands down. They make a mighty fine 1911 for a fraction of the price the big names cost. I haven't had a single malfunction with my commander