• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite Brand of Gun Manufacturer and Why?

jayspapa

For a shotgun I have to go with Remington ( 870 pump )

Rifle>>> Marlin lever action 336C ( 30-30 )

revolvers ...single and double action , Ruger

pistol...just about any brand of 1911... currently own a Kimber tactical ultra but Colt would be first on the list

There are many others but this is the top of the ranking for me.

shotcop

Sorry Taurus you left me not the other way!

Taurus used to make a good gun at a good price. I've owned and still own several. Recently they have slipped qiute a bit. Recently bought a snubbie and when I opened the cylinder it actually fell out of the gun. Their quality control just isn't there. And God help you if you need parts, several gunsmiths I know quit working on them for this reason. But I do love my mid-eighties snubbie. I like the croatian made polymer Springfield. Colonel Cooper said it best about the Glock..It's a prostitute, it'll do whatever you ask whenever you ask but you just can't fall in love with it. Ruger makes good revolvers but I don't like their autos. Colt? Why spend kimber money for a gun that's not a Kimber? Gues that tells you I like Kimber. Though ugly I've never fired a cheap Hi-Point that didn't feed perfect. My main carry guns? My old Taurus snubbie with Laser grips and my beloved 1911.

shotcop

Favorite carry gun? Gotta be my Taurus PT 145 in .45. Ten round mag, 230 grain Speer Gold Dot....DRT.....for the house? My Mossberg 590 12-gauge 8-shot, with sidesaddle and Streamlite.

I loved my old PT145 but hate the newer trigger, the break is the same weight but no takeup and not predictable, weird how mine was great so I tryed the 24/7 which is junk as far as I'm concerned. Most firepower for size around is the old Pt145 no doubt!

stickbow95

I love my XDm. But I'll always be a die hard 1911 guy. I used to have a Glock 22, also an outstanding specimen of engineering, and sold it for reasons that always seem stupid in hindsight.:banghead:

My all-time favorite firearm: Marlin 444P "Outfitter". But kind of hard to fit it in a holster.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
For sidearms:

1. SIG. My EDC (before the canoe accident) was a p229 with the optional beaver tail and short-reset trigger.
2. Ruger revolvers. My ca. 1982 Police Service Six was as smooth as any Colt or S&W, more durable, and a quarter of the price.
3. SA XDs. The original flavor though, not the M series as they try too much to look like ray guns. If they were made in the US I'd have several.

KansasMustang

Im not too fond of Rugers, but I will say this. For a cheap (in price) handgun, you do get a lot of quality for your buck.

That reminds me of a friend of John Lyons (Horse Trainer par extraordinaire) He'd called a friend, told him he'd bought a horse. The friend was a very old experienced horseman (not that this pertains to OC) just the comment made by SIG. The call went something like this. John Lyons "Bought a horse today!" Friend "Great, what'd ya get?" A stallion no less" "Great what breed?" "An Appaloosa" long pause,,, "I've known a few good Appaloosa's"
If anyone doesn't know why I used this please feel free to IM me LOL. If you DO know what I'm talking about, have a good laugh.

gprod55

Choice of Weapons

Back when I choose a Concealed Carry weapon because this state doesn't recognize open carry and not being rich enough to go with more expensive weapons, I choose the Russian made Makarov, 9x18 caliber. 10 years ago I purchased the Mak for $125. This came with a holster and 2 mags with a cleaning rod. The ammo was cheap at $8 a box of 50 thru CCI. Since then the price has gone up but they can still be purchased for between $250 to $400 depending on the Country Make, Germany, Belgium, Russian, etc. They are an excellent, dependable weapon easily concealed, low recoil, and small enough for a woman to grip without problems. Since then I have added a Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro. I also have a Charter Arms 38 cal snubbie and a Hawes 44 Mag single action revolver.

MKEgal

Glock

Several people have already posted good reasons to love Glock guns, and I agree with them, but I bought mine because it felt right in my hand. I made the mistake of renting one at the range once, fell in lust immediately, & set about finding one to live with me.

It fits my hand. It feels right. It handles well. I can trust that it will always work.
It's a very nicely made tool, and even though I'm not an engineer I do appreciate well-made machines.

Compared to my Kel-tec, the Glock is simple to take apart & put together. No fighting, no swearing, no tools needed.

SFCRetired

Got both a Ruger P89 and a Springfield Armory 1911. I carried the P89 for quite a few years and still like the feel and reliability.

I now carry the 1911 and like the feel as much as I do the Ruger's. I'm still in the break-in process, but have had no malfunctions other than it doesn't want to feed the first round out of a magazine by releasing the slide. I'm told that will go away with use.

SGB

No real favorite brand as I own Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Browning, Sig and S&W. Though my everyday Carry is a Springfield Professional.

Alexcabbie

Revolvers: Smith and Wesson.
Sure, Colt made the Python and its adjuncts, and they were fine revolvers, but S&W has been the lawman's choice revolver-wise overwhelmingly. I think of Dirty Harry carrying an Anaconda and it is almost as awful as if Frank Sinatra had played Harry instead of Clint Eastwood (and that last thing almost happened. Can you imagine if Sinatra had been "dirty Harry"? Who would the bad guy be? Sammy Davis?)

Semi-auto: Carl Walther Waffenfabrik.
Especially the PPK series, P38/P1 and P5, all of which sport decocking safeties and DA/SA actions.

1245A Defender

usa

im feeling pretty good about my FNP 45USG!
double/ single action, decocker/ safety
15 rounds plus 1
made in the USA!
flawless performance
ambidextrous

i could say more, but,,,,
i own many other guns, but this is the 1 I would use to protect the others with.

M

McX

CZ52, cause it will go through anything. Anything in an AK, kinda universally recognized. Nagants are bad to the bone too.

40s-and-wfan

Glock. It is the only company that makes an extremely reliable double stack 10mm.

Dang, I haven't had a 10mm in a long time. I had a S&W 1006 years ago and would love to have another one. I'd rather have the 1066 instead. Right now I'm kinda' partial to my M&P 45 and my Glock, either of which will do the job, providing I do mine.
You just brought back some memories with the comment about the 10mm. I'll have another one again some day!

emk

I'm a Sig man all the way. I've shot a number of different guns and the one that's never bothered me in any way was my P226.

celticredneck

I probably won't see many agree, but for me, it is S&W. I've owned 3 different ones since the mid 60s and never had any problems with any of them. The first 2 were both .357 revolvers, and my last, was a Model 457. It is my current daily carry gun, and through a couple of thousand rounds, it has never had any problems, no matter what I have fed it.

C

coolfrmn

GLOCK!!!! A no thrills, no fuss, reliable pistol. No extra buttons or levers. So easy a caveman can use & break it down. :monkey