• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 survey

Just Us

I was asked a question by a person I know, but couldn't answer it the best.

Why are some guys or gals such big fans of the 1911 style handguns, what's the big deal with them?

daddy4count

Because they kick butt! ... are accurate, reliable, easily and infinitely maintainable...

There are reasons the design has remained unchanged for 100 years!

The 1911 frame is also what caused my delay in picking up a poly frame gun... it was hard to trust anything else at first.

Selection is another... because of the age and reputation of the design it is one of the most duplicated pistols on the planet. Dozens of companies make a version of it, in multiple calibers.

Downside might be ammo capacity... with only 7 to 8 rounds per magazine. But many versions use double stack mags to achieve 10+ rounds.

I suppose the answer to the question would be, "What's not to like?"

groovedrummer

Because they kick butt! ... are accurate, reliable, easily and infinitely maintainable...

There are reasons the design has remained unchanged for 100 years!

The 1911 frame is also what caused my delay in picking up a poly frame gun... it was hard to trust anything else at first.

Selection is another... because of the age and reputation of the design it is one of the most duplicated pistols on the planet. Dozens of companies make a version of it, in multiple calibers.

Downside might be ammo capacity... with only 7 to 8 rounds per magazine. But many versions use double stack mags to achieve 10+ rounds.

I suppose the answer to the question would be, "What's not to like?"

+1

zoom6zoom

glockv1911.jpg

Last edited:

45acpForMe

For me, if it was good enough for my Dad in WWII and Korea, it was good enough for me. (that also goes for 45acp)

The 1911 is combat proven, reliable, accurate. With all the manufacturers out there, it has several available sizes, calibers, and is customizable.

I like my 1911's but I also like some more modern designs (sig p220, h&k USP).

There are so many manufacturers & variations that it makes things a bit confusing up front. As you acquire and use them you learn which variations you prefer and can customize them to some degree. Many parts are interchangeable but not all.

The price point is good too. There are 1911's for $400-$3000.

jpm84092

Model 1911 - Proven over time.

I have been collecting Model 1911 handguns in .45 ACP since I first began shooting (back in the days of hip huggers and min-skirts. (I wouldn't mind seeing mini-skirts make a comeback.) Force is equal to mass times acceleration and the .45 ACP offers one a good chance of a "one shot - one kill" scenario. No matter where you hit somebody with one, they are likely going to go to the ground.

I have an ultra small one (Para P10-45, .45 ACP 10+1), a medium sized one that is my carry gun (Springfield Model 1911 Ultra Compact - now known as the ESP; 6 + 1), and a full sized version (Dan Wesson; 8 + 1). The .45 ACP round may be subsonic, but many a grizzled old soldier I know who has worked with the current military 9mm would "give his left one" for the power and knock-down capabilities of the GI Model 1911 (typically manufactured by Colt).

They are not as "user friendly" as the new plastic guns and do not come apart as quickly, but they are reliable as hell and strong as an ox. They take a bit of practice and are seldom forgiving of limp wrist shooters, but once you make friends with one, there is little temptation to keep them in the safe. (I rotate mine at the range so that they all see some action and then promptly clean and lubricate them.

For those who carry them, no explanation is necessary, for those who have never carried them, no explanation is possible.

t33j

My most favorite attributes in no particular order:
thin grip
grip angle
...actually anything about the grip ergonomics
looks
history

Last edited:

.45acp

1911 - Just my opinion

Design -All Steel, I have one (at least) 1911 with at least 50 or 60 thousand rounds through it, in fact I just replaced the trigger and sear (trigger broke at the bow and sear was badly worn). As an example of the robustness of the design, there has not been any design changes to the 1911 since the Series 80 came out with the firing pin block (and that was not to address a problem, it addressed lawyers). I have purposely not cleaned a 1911 for over 1000 rounds, and never had a hiccup shooting reloads.

100 years of history, it is the longest serving duty arm ever, that record is unmatched by any commonly in service firearm.

Ergonomics and Controls - (grip angle) With a flat main spring housing, when I bring the pistol up to eye level, it is on target eyes open or closed the gun just has a natural index. Controls are all at the right thumb with the exception of the trigger of course. (well I guess you could shoot it with your thumb).

Carry – The 1911 carries better than most full size double stack magazine pistol. The grip is slim

Trigger – Short straight trigger press. 3 lbs trigger press. Best trigger in any combat firearm currently on the market. Hell a box stock 1911 trigger is better than any of the current “pistols dejour” are with considerable work, and a well tuned 1911 trigger literally breaks like a glass rod.

Infinitely customizable (more parts are built for the 1911 than any other pistol on the market, probably more like any other 3 pistols on the market). A 1911 can be built up to a super accurate bull’s-eye gun, hotrod race gun, self defense gun or a can shooter. The slickest after market sights available are for the 1911 bar none.

Function- It works! I have never had a 1911 with a reliability issues that was the guns fault. I have a couple that did not like one bullet shape (Hollow Points) or another. But all of my guns are absolute reliable with Federal HydroShocks so that is all I carry if HP’s are the uniform of the day. They have all been reliable with 230 gr FMJ ball ammo.

Forgiving to shoot- I may not be the right person for this part, but I think the 1911 is easy to shoot well. They are not as susceptible to limp wristing as other firearms on the market; grip is high and for me intuitive. My wife has declared that an Ed Brown I own is her’s and she shoots it better than most guys on the firing line.

Single Action Condition 1 Carry- Nothing else is a fast on the first shot, draw, sweep the safety, sights, breath and 3 lbs of trigger press….bang! reset the trigger through recoil and…bang! Repeat as needed.

Now, the 1911 Detractors will say “But it only has 8+1 rounds, What if you get into a gunfight with THE ARMY of DARKNESS flesh eating zombies” Or “ You better hope you don’t get into a gunfight with 10 or15 people you’ll run out of ammo”. Or something to that effect, and perhaps they have a point, but for my use, I’ll settle for a 1911 and 2 extra mags.

Should I go on??

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

Now, the 1911 Detractors will say “But it only has 8+1 rounds, What if you get into a gunfight with THE ARMY of DARKNESS flesh eating zombies” Or “ You better hope you don’t get into a gunfight with 10 or15 people you’ll run out of ammo”. Or something to that effect, and perhaps they have a point, but for my use, I’ll settle for a 1911 and 2 extra mags.

If there is ever a need to defend against that many people chances are I knew it was coming and I will have my AR15 close at hand.

To address the original topic of the thread, One simple reason I chose to purchase a 1911 is that every gunsmith worth his hourly fee will have cut his/her teeth on one and will now them inside and out.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I only need 7 rounds. IF, by chance I need more, I have 7 more in my pocket.

If I am ever in a situation where I need more than that, I have obviously made a monumental error in judgement about my surroundings and deserve to have my guts ripped out through my poopchute with an entrenching tool...

10A

The 1911 is the Harley Davidson of handguns. HD's have an old quote, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand". That's cool, the 1911 is definitely America's pistol. My personal opinion is the rap against the Beretta 92 service pistol is more because it's Italian (not American) rather than because it's a 9mm. And yes, I've been in the suck with an M9 and know all the bad magazine stories.

The thing is the .45 isn't some magic bullet, it's just a bullet. Sure it's bigger than most calibers, but I defy anyone to show me scientific statistics of the .45 killing more people than any other caliber. The "one shot manstopper" is just a myth with any standard pistol. Even Jeff Cooper, the 1911 guru, advocated the Mozambique drill for a reason.

By the way, I carry a Glock .45 ACP as my primary carry weapon because I shoot it well, but not because of one shot fairy tales.

Last edited:

.45acp

The thing is the .45 isn't some magic bullet, it's just a bullet. Sure it's bigger than most calibers, but I defy anyone to show me scientific statistics of the .45 killing more people than any other caliber. The "one shot manstopper" is just a myth with any standard pistol. Even Jeff Cooper, the 1911 guru, advocated the Mozambique drill for a reason.

I absolutly agree with you, the .45acp is no magic bullet, it is all about bullet placement.

As far as Italian manufacture, I agree with the complaints in that dept. There is no reason we should be buying offshore weapons for our military.

That said, the 92 is a fine firearm.

Steve

VFORVENDETTA

I absolutly agree with you, the .45acp is no magic bullet, it is all about bullet placement.

As far as Italian manufacture, I agree with the complaints in that dept. There is no reason we should be buying offshore weapons for our military.

That said, the 92 is a fine firearm.

Steve

I'm for saving our military money and wealthy taxpayers. We should buy the cheapest guns available(china).

9mmlugerruger

The 1911 is a outdated piece of crap. To heavy to carry all day and only 8 or 9 rounds of slow ammo. If you want to hang it on your wall go ahead, just a poor choice for carry.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
In 99.7 years, since the day of it's inception, the 1911 has yet to be significantly improved upon.

Many handguns have +'s. But none can claim any improvement, or combination of improvements, that eclipse it.

Well, except for an AK-pistol. Kalishnakov > Browning. Call me a traitor, it's true and you know it.