• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those in the military in the Tucson area....

PavePusher

The Davis-Monthan AFB Exchange now has an operating gun shop!! (As of 1 July, sorry for the late posting.) They seem to have a little bit of everything in both long-guns and hand-guns, and can order just about anything you might want.

Long guns - Mosin-Nagants to AR's. M-N's are $100. Whoooot!

Hand guns - Semi's and revolvers and even some deringers in the case.

Ammo, targets, magazines, acccesories....

Check it out and save a little money.

They do not do any gunsmithing. Oh well, maybe down the road...

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Interesting... now the problem of 'possession' on-base. I hate to go there 'cause i have to leave my gun(s) at home.
(100 mile round trip) About those 91/30 M-N's... i just got a deal on a Tula armory M-N mfg 1939... MINT w/ sling, bayonet, oil bottle, ammo pouch 'n tools kit... $100.00 (Marana) It's in the main AFX building?

Attachments

• 91 Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54r.JPG
    91 Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54r.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 113

PavePusher

Interesting... now the problem of 'possession' on-base. I hate to go there 'cause i have to leave my gun(s) at home.
(100 mile round trip) About those 91/30 M-N's... i just got a deal on a Tula armory M-N mfg 1939... MINT w/ sling, bayonet, oil bottle, ammo pouch 'n tools kit... $100.00 (Marana) It's in the main AFX building?

Yes, they are in the Main BX building, far left cornor (south-east) from the entry by the check-out counters. I don't know if the M-N's come with an accesories kit or not, or what armory they came from, I'm pretty broke this month, so didn't bother to look. I'm pretty sure the one on display was a round-receiver. If you want more details on anything, let me know and I'll go check....

Sonora Rebel

Yes, they are in the Main BX building, far left cornor (south-east) from the entry by the check-out counters. I don't know if the M-N's come with an accesories kit or not, or what armory they came from, I'm pretty broke this month, so didn't bother to look. I'm pretty sure the one on display was a round-receiver. If you want more details on anything, let me know and I'll go check....

Round Receiver? You mean the shape... or what? Um... yeah... if ya can... see what they've got. Acessories are a nice bonus. (Finding a decent M-N bayonet forinstance.) The one that came with this gun looked brand new. (See pix) I'd spring $100. for another one of the same condition.

PavePusher

Round Receiver? You mean the shape... or what? Um... yeah... if ya can... see what they've got. Acessories are a nice bonus. (Finding a decent M-N bayonet forinstance.) The one that came with this gun looked brand new. (See pix) I'd spring $100. for another one of the same condition.

Sorry for the slow reply, new job is kicking my butt this week. I'll try to get in there tomorrow during lunch.

Edit: To clarify the "round receiver" statement see the third paragraph of section 1.5 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant
During WWII, the octagonal shape of the receiver was changed to a rounded form for ease of manufacture. The "hex-receiver" models are more desired by collectors, and generally are a signal that it is an earlier, pre-war model made with a little better finish and quality control.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Sorry for the slow reply, new job is kicking my butt this week. I'll try to get in there tomorrow during lunch.

Edit: To clarify the "round receiver" statement see the third paragraph of section 1.5 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant
During WWII, the octagonal shape of the receiver was changed to a rounded form for ease of manufacture. The "hex-receiver" models are more desired by collectors, and generally are a signal that it is an earlier, pre-war model made with a little better finish and quality control.

Ya mean they might'a used somethin' other than 'Olga's toe-nails' 'n a dog collar? My receiver is round... but it's dated 1939. (Tula arsenal markings. )

Last edited:

PavePusher

Ya mean they might'a used somethin' other than 'Olga's toe-nails' 'n a dog collar? My receiver is round... but it's dated 1939. (Tula arsenal markings. )

Oops, sorry got my time frames mixed up. The receiver change was done in 1936 (but was to "speed production"). The fit/finish decline started after the start of combat against Germany. (Again, production speed issues.)

And yes, I've seen the website you got the "Olga's toe-nails" from. I've probably read that thing 20 times, and laughed longer and harder every time.

PavePusher

They have one left, round receiver, 1942 date, Izhevsk markings. It's internally pretty greasy of course, but bore looks bright/clean, lands and grooves are crisp all the way to the muzzle. Stock in good condition, not laminated. I thought the bolt felt rather looser than is normal even for Mosins. YMMV. $106.25, Century International import.

Last edited: