• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nutjob?

merc460

I mainly carry concealed, but have been gradually moving into open carry. In another thread, someone spoke of a concealed carry forum that does not support open carry at all. I have been reading on it a bit and I believe it. I will say though, I truly have to wonder about the intelligence and thoughts behind some of the posts.

In this thread about Sears and Kmart, it goes into an open carry discussion where we (OC'ers) are called "nutjobs and idiots", basically saying it causes more damage than good. THEN, (this is where they loose me) one said he would rather a stranger walk upon his property carrying concealed than open. OK, now IF, someone is going to come on my property with a weapon, I MOST CERTAINLY want to be aware of it upon their approach so I can decide whether they are a threat or not.
I am now starting to believe what a couple other folks told me back when I received my CHP..... "That piece of paper don't make you a god or something." but I think some over there never got that memo.

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23242

kwikrnu

Banned
In this thread about Sears and Kmart, it goes into an open carry discussion where we (OC'ers) are called "nutjobs and idiots", basically saying it causes more damage than good. I truly have to wonder about the intelligence and thoughts behind some of the posts.

You're not alone. Sometimes the CCW people show up here, I have a lot of them on my ignore list.

eye95

Some OCers are nutjobs. Most are not. Some CCers are nutjobs. Most are not. The difference is that CC nutjobs are not so obvious and don't taint all CCers to the extent that a nutjob OCing casts all OCers in a bad light.

The best defense against having all OCers thought of as nutjobs is to be the most reasonable and civil human being while OCing.

KRM59

I mainly carry concealed, but have been gradually moving into open carry. In another thread, someone spoke of a concealed carry forum that does not support open carry at all. I have been reading on it a bit and I believe it. I will say though, I truly have to wonder about the intelligence and thoughts behind some of the posts.

In this thread about Sears and Kmart, it goes into an open carry discussion where we (OC'ers) are called "nutjobs and idiots", basically saying it causes more damage than good. THEN, (this is where they loose me) one said he would rather a stranger walk upon his property carrying concealed than open. OK, now IF, someone is going to come on my property with a weapon, I MOST CERTAINLY want to be aware of it upon their approach so I can decide whether they are a threat or not.
I am now starting to believe what a couple other folks told me back when I received my CHP..... "That piece of paper don't make you a god or something." but I think some over there never got that memo.

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23242

i fully support anyone who wishes to Lawfully CC and if they do not like the Idea of OC i support there right to think that way...but i can't for the life of me understand the reasoning that one would prefer a person approching them CC rather than OC. The same reasoning is to compare having intimate relations with someone with a STD, i think we would want to know and not find out to late. and they call us OC'ers Nutjobs thats really rich.

Last edited:

Dreamer

In this thread about Sears and Kmart, it goes into an open carry discussion where we (OC'ers) are called "nutjobs and idiots", basically saying it causes more damage than good.

The same thing was said about the Abolishionists in the 1850's.

The same thing was said about the Women Suffragettes, in the late 19-teens.

The same thing was said about the Civil Rights activists in the 1960's.

See a trend here?

Challenges to the "status quo" of oppression, privilege, and classism will ALWAYS be met with resistance, slander and accusations of insanity. This is a trick taken RIGHT out of the history books, and is as old as society itself. When the prevailing social order is challenged, and large groups of the oppressed start to coalesce and gain political and social power, the FIRST mode of attack from the Establishment is to say "these folks are rabble rousers and nutjobs". This tactic is used because the "ordinary people"--the fence sitters who can (and SHOULD) be swayed toward the greater good of increased Freedom and Liberty--do't want to be seen as associating with people who are trouble-makers or insane. This tactic will work for a while.

Generally this tactic breaks down when the Privileged Ruling Class reaches a point of desperation--when the MAJORITY of the people start to come around to this new way of thinking--that slavery is wrong, that women should be able to vote, that people should be treated for the content of their hearts not the color of their skin.

When the Rulers begin to see that the majority is turning against the "old modes of thinking" they will often become desperate and have historically reacted like cornered wounded animals--lashing out violently against peaceful protesters, jailing people for Free Speech, murdering people who are the "movers and shakers" of this "New Way". History has shown that violent resistance to movements tha tseek to increase liberty are in their last dying stages. When it comes to that--when the firehoses, billy clubs, and teargas come out against the general public--the best thing to do is simply "hold fast", while the Ruling Class implode on their own fear, hatred, and desperation...

OC is similar. It's not that these folks have an issue with OC on it's face. They have a problem with someone CARRYING who didn't have to "pay the tribute to Caeser", isn't part of the "anointed elite" and just wants EVERYONE to have the same right--the right to Self Defense.

Being unilaterally against OC is no different being an outright "anti". This position of "CC only" speaks more about the character of those who hold it than it does about the people they constantly slander and deride. They just want guns in the hands (or on the hips) of the "right kinds of people".

And we ALL know what that REALLY means...

THEN, (this is where they loose me) one said he would rather a stranger walk upon his property carrying concealed than open.

I run into that a LOT in MD. There seems to be this attitude--even among the most rabidly pro-CC activists--that "out of sight is out of mind". It's like even the pro-2A people hate the idea that ANYONE might actually be carrying a gun for self defense. It's a bizarre mindset, and one that I simply cannot understand--one of self-hatred and a nearly clinical schizophrenic denial of the facts and realities of the concept of "fundamental human rights"...

MD was an OC state prior to 1972. But because some poor minorities got a little "uppity" in Baltimore and Annapolis in the late '60's, the Legislators in their infinite wisdom decided that the best way to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong kinds of people" was just to make it so the ONLY people who could carry would be people who were blessed" by the MSP.

And so we find ourselves where we are today in MD...

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
...Challenges to the "status quo" of oppression, privilege, and classism will ALWAYS be met with resistance, slander and accusations of insanity. This is a trick taken RIGHT out of the history books, and is as old as society itself. When the prevailing social order is challenged, and large groups of the oppressed start to coalesce and gain political and social power, the FIRST mode of attack from the Establishment is to say "these folks are rabble rousers and nutjobs". This tactic is used because the "ordinary people"--the fence sitters who can (and SHOULD) be swayed toward the greater good of increased Freedom and Liberty--do't want to be seen as associating with people who are trouble-makers or insane. This tactic will work for a while.

This is correct. Take for instance Basil Marceaux. He is trying for the Republican nomination in the race for Governor of Tennessee. He is for constitutional carry. However, major gun boards mostly CCW forums in Tennessee laugh at him and would rather vote for the status quo.

Basil Marceaux video

It happens all of the time with 3rd party candidates.

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Dreamer, I figure that whatever you posted at MDshooters is gone, but people there actually said they didn't want people to OC in MD as part of shall-issue or whathaveyou? Geeze, I am looking forward to when a MDer has the CHOICE to choose wether to CC or OC, not to be like Texas and FL where printing can get you in trouble. I wouldn't mind OCing when walking down my rural road, no nutjob will want to stop and accost me if they see me OCing, unless it's some idiot anti OC dingdong, in which case it will be a verbal incident.

KRM59

OC is similar. It's not that these folks have an issue with OC on it's face. They have a problem with someone CARRYING who didn't have to "pay the tribute to Caeser", isn't part of the "anointed elite" and just wants EVERYONE to have the same right--the right to Self Defense.

very well said

RussP

Some OCers are nutjobs. Most are not. Some CCers are nutjobs. Most are not. The difference is that CC nutjobs are not so obvious and don't taint all CCers to the extent that a nutjob OCing casts all OCers in a bad light.

The best defense against having all OCers thought of as nutjobs is to be the most reasonable and civil human being while OCing.
Amen and well said!!

cscitney87

There is a time and a place for everything. I chose when to conceal and when to openly carry. It's your natural right to chose your own destiny. This is the USA. You will tell You when to OC and when not to.

CCer or OCer it's just always awesome to talk the talk with a random guy about guns.

merc460

There is a time and a place for everything. I chose when to conceal and when to openly carry. It's your natural right to chose your own destiny. This is the USA. You will tell You when to OC and when not to.

CCer or OCer it's just always awesome to talk the talk with a random guy about guns.

That is how I feel about it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

for once I agree with you 100 %

Sonora Rebel

Being unilaterally against OC is no different being an outright "anti". This position of "CC only" speaks more about the character of those who hold it than it does about the people they constantly slander and deride. They just want guns in the hands (or on the hips) of the "right kinds of people".
And we ALL know what that REALLY means...

I run into that a LOT in MD. There seems to be this attitude--even among the most rabidly pro-CC activists--that "out of sight is out of mind". It's like even the pro-2A people hate the idea that ANYONE might actually be carrying a gun for self defense. It's a bizarre mindset, and one that I simply cannot understand--one of self-hatred and a nearly clinical schizophrenic denial of the facts and realities of the concept of "fundamental human rights"...

MD was an OC state prior to 1972. But because some poor minorities got a little "uppity" in Baltimore and Annapolis in the late '60's, the Legislators in their infinite wisdom decided that the best way to keep guns out of the hands of the "wrong kinds of people" was just to make it so the ONLY people who could carry would be people who were blessed" by the MSP.
And so we find ourselves where we are today in MD...

MD doesn't have a CCW permit... what it has is similar to PA's LTCF in that the permit allows the bearer to carry as they choose. The problem is getting one. Marylanders have been inculcated in the statist cult of 'concealed weapon' by permit propaganda to the point where they cannot concieve of carrying a sidearm in any other manner. Mention 'Open Carry' as a Constitutional Right and their eyes will glaze over. It seems not to have entered the conciousness of most Marylanders that bearing arms does not require permission... or training. That's another sore point... that everybody MUST be trained and the state decides what that level of training will be. Again... dependance upon the state. (Baaa-baaaaaa) This attitude is endemic... 'Guns require permists!' (No, they don't... 'neve have. Permit is a government contrivance that is in direct conflict with the 'Shall not be infringed' part of the 2A. Anyone who can't understand that is dumber than a box of hammers... or a bald-faced liar.

Those states which require 'nothing'... and never have, seem to have done just fine historically w/o formal training. Marylanders have been mentally conditioned to accept the authority of the state as not only the final arbiter of their rights... but the actual source of their rights. I discovered that in Jr High... in Baltimore... many moons ago. That's how it was (and prob'ly still is) taught. Yep... citizens got their rights from the government. What was 'allowed'... We were all being conditioned to be good little tax-paying serfs and nothing more.

Priior to '72... (regardless of the law)... you'd get jacked up openly carrying a handgun. You'd get jacked up having one concealed if somebody knew about it. Back in the '50's... most everyboy's father that I knew (all white middle class) had a gun. Most of 'em WWII/Korea bring backs... 'n they had them in their glove boxes. People didn't carry handguns... the anecdotal 'word' was 'it's against the law'. What law? There was no internet... and finding a law book (which one) was daunting. Most people just accepted the lore. The politicians had an open door to do whatever they wanted 'cause the sheep didn't know any better... and seemed not to care. Maryland is a lost cause... politically and culturally. I've given up on the lot. I'm actually embarrassed to admit I was born there.