• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A possible shotgun unloaded open carry rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
For the entertainment of California open carry people. Since I live in the free state of Nevada, I can carry my loaded handgun as long as I don't slip over the border. But since Californians have to carry unloaded, and put up with all sorts of handgun discrimination, here is a hypothetical shotgun rig.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/ShotgunUOC.MPG (Video of unholstering and moving shell from loop into chamber.)
shotgunholster.jpg

Basically, it carries just like a huge handgun. It is pretty silly looking, but it only takes about 4 seconds to get a loaded shotgun in your hands! With practice, (and some belt keepers), maybe a bit faster.

Anyway I had some time and a shotgun on my hands so I figured I'd share. It's a Maverick 88 with a Hogue Tamer grip and a Voodoo Tactical scabbard.

Last edited:

Robin47

For the entertainment of California open carry people. Since I live in the free state of Nevada, I can carry my loaded handgun as long as I don't slip over the border. But since Californians have to carry unloaded, and put up with all sorts of handgun discrimination, here is a hypothetical shotgun rig.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/ShotgunUOC.MPG (Video of unholstering and moving shell from loop into chamber.)
shotgunholster.jpg

Basically, it carries just like a huge handgun. It is pretty silly looking, but it only takes about 4 seconds to get a loaded shotgun in your hands! With practice, (and some belt keepers), maybe a bit faster.

Anyway I had some time and a shotgun on my hands so I figured I'd share. It's a Maverick 88 with a Hogue Tamer grip and a Voodoo Tactical scabbard.

Yeah Felid M. that would work !
Only thing is a few belt keepers attached to the other belt, would help a lot on the draw.
To bad we couldn't saw the gun down a bit to !
I have wondered about Rifle Carry also, and would a 30-30 with loaded magazine be legal, but nothing in the chamber ?
Back when I was a kid hunting at 12 years old in California, they were that way in pickup truck gun racks
and it was legal then.

Robin47

camsoup

A shotgun or rifle with rounds in the magazine/tube, but with the chamber empty is not considered loaded per Fish and Game code. Outside of incorporated areas or prohibited areas of unincorporated territory it would be legal to carry in that fashion. In incorporated territory, you would still be bound by 12031 regardless if carrying a pistol,shotgun, or rifle.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
A shotgun or rifle with rounds in the magazine/tube, but with the chamber empty is not considered loaded per Fish and Game code. Outside of incorporated areas or prohibited areas of unincorporated territory it would be legal to carry in that fashion. In incorporated territory, you would still be bound by 12031 regardless if carrying a pistol,shotgun, or rifle.
One advantage of the shotgun is that it is pretty easy to get a shell into the chamber from nothing in the magazine like shown. The shell is big and easy to grab. And the chamber opening is quite large.

Why not sling it in a scabbard over your back?

It does have a sling that came with the scabbard. With it slung it does move around a bit whereas on the belt it holds it fairly still. It would also mount to a MOLLE system very well.

Here is a video I found on youtube that shows someone with a back-scabbard for a shotgun using a MOLLE vest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUxDaWC2io&feature=related

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I have wondered about Rifle Carry also, and would a 30-30 with loaded magazine be legal, but nothing in the chamber ?
Back when I was a kid hunting at 12 years old in California, they were that way in pickup truck gun racks
and it was legal then.

I've got a sporterized SMLE (Short,Magazine, Lee-Enfield) rifle in .303 british. It has a detachable magazine. With the magazine in it would be illegal in incorporated areas, but it can have a full 10 round magazine that isn't inserted. Last time I drove through California I had that rifle in the vehicle, (in the back window of my Dad's truck where a rifle rack would be), with the magazine out.

Enfield.jpg

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
Shotgun is what I UOC. Never had an "E" check yet.

Way to go!

--Rules Violation--

"(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry."

Status
Not open for further replies.