Thread: Travelling to California tonight from Washington.

Travelling to California tonight from Washington.

I'll be in a semi truck and I looked at some of the codes and so far I see I can transport in a vehicle but need more clarification.

Can I keep it in my backpack in between the seats? Loaded or unloaded? Being that I going to Sacramento and then onto west LA area. The back to Sacramento and home. (I do believe it needs to be unloaded) Looks like there are different codes for non-residents just passing through.

Just need a clean cut to the point answer so I can stay legal.

Thanks

Unloaded in a locked container, glove box doesn't count. When I travel to Cali, I keep an unloaded magazine with the gun in the locked container, and a loaded magazine stashed elsewhere, readily accessible.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    If you're just concerned about getting from point A to point B, just transport it unloaded in a locked container.

Or you can UOC, so long as you stay 1000 feet away from any K-12 school.

I'm a fill-in for a team run and have no lock box handy.

my understanding is no cartridge and magazine in the firearm.

So might not be a good idea to keep it in the backpack with magazine out of it.

I'll be in LA about 2-3 in the morning sunday.

unloaded in a back pack between the seats is NOT good enough, you will be violating 626.9 GFSZ are every where!
    If you have any access to it in the cab, in must be in lock box!
    harbour freight sells combo lock box, looks like a book for only 10$!
    with out a lock box, you need a trunk, or locked storage area.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

626.9 really sucks. I've read some instances. Well dang.

thanks guys.

Activist Member
    Passing through Sacramento you might want to have the gun packed in compliance with 18 USC 926A.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...6---A000-.html

Sacramento municipal code appears to ban handguns in vehicles. Is the Sacramento code preempted? I don't know.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...o-with-handgun

If you bring a long gun instead of a handgun, you won't need to lock it up.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 07-30-2010 at 11:35 PM.

1245A Defender has been giving out bad advice everywhere lately.

Put the unloaded gun in a compartment of the backpack with a lockable zipper. Put some loaded mags in there with it. Maybe keep an empty mag in the gun to be safe. Throw a lock on the zipper and put the backpack between the seats. This is basically how I transport my pistol every day.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by SargentMac View Post
    Unloaded in a locked container, glove box doesn't count. When I travel to Cali, I keep an unloaded magazine with the gun in the locked container, and a loaded magazine stashed elsewhere, readily accessible.
    Two quick notes:

The statutory term "loaded" does not apply to mags. We'll call mags "full" or "empty" to avoid confusion.

Full mags that are concealed in your possession are a likely a violation of 12025. See People v Hale. (Even though that case involved a readily accessible firearm in addition to the full mag, the wording could be construed in such a way that a concealed full mag is always a violation of 12025 - even with a locked up firearm.)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Quote Originally Posted by wewd View Post

Put the unloaded gun in a compartment of the backpack with a lockable zipper. Put some loaded mags in there with it. Maybe keep an empty mag in the gun to be safe. Throw a lock on the zipper and put the backpack between the seats. This is basically how I transport my pistol every day.
    sorry, but my advice was Not bad.. maybe incomplete, maybe overly cautious.
    you are right about the back pack, If you can lock it.
    just us, hadnt said lockable back pack.

are sargentmac and sons of liberty giving out bad advice too? i think not.
    i know im posting in calif, but just us is from my state, im looking out for him.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 07-31-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by CA_Libertarian View Post
    Two quick notes:

The statutory term "loaded" does not apply to mags. We'll call mags "full" or "empty" to avoid confusion.

Full mags that are concealed in your possession are a likely a violation of 12025. See People v Hale. (Even though that case involved a readily accessible firearm in addition to the full mag, the wording could be construed in such a way that a concealed full mag is always a violation of 12025 - even with a locked up firearm.)
    I always travel with my handgun unloaded in a locked case but I always have a couple loaded magazines under the seat. I always thought that was LEGAL as long as your gun is unloaded and locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Poblacht32 View Post
    I always travel with my handgun unloaded in a locked case but I always have a couple loaded magazines under the seat. I always thought that was LEGAL as long as your gun is unloaded and locked up.
    Why not just keep the magazines in the same case with the gun? It's perfectly legal, and the preferred method. "Loaded" magazines concealed in a vehicle are PC for search/arrest for 12025 according to Hale.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    unloaded in a back pack between the seats is NOT good enough, you will be violating 626.9 GFSZ are every where!
    If you have any access to it in the cab, in must be in lock box!
    This is the bad advice I was talking about. If he puts a lock on the backpack, he will not be violating 626.9 or 12025. Furthermore your assertion that having access to the firearm in the vehicle requires it to be locked up has no basis in fact. That is pure FUD. He can open carry in a holster on his hip in the car, or sit the gun unloaded on his dash board, or on the seat next to him, and he's not breaking any law, except for the aforementioned 626.9 if he happens to be in a school zone. Otherwise, there is no issue.

"Live Free or Die"

Why not just keep the magazines in the same case with the gun? It's perfectly legal, and the preferred method. "Loaded" magazines concealed in a vehicle are PC for search/arrest for 12025 according to Hale.

This is the bad advice I was talking about. If he puts a lock on the backpack, he will not be violating 626.9 or 12025. Furthermore your assertion that having access to the firearm in the vehicle requires it to be locked up has no basis in fact. That is pure FUD. He can open carry in a holster on his hip in the car, or sit the gun unloaded on his dash board, or on the seat next to him, and he's not breaking any law, except for the aforementioned 626.9 if he happens to be in a school zone. Otherwise, there is no issue.
    Pedantry. That is what he said. Lock it up or chance a GFSZ violation. He worded it differently than you did. I think you were a bit overbearing with him.

He gave "good advice." He just didn't add the "you can open carry" to the advice. His statement appears to be quite valid. The guy is driving a truck, and is not likely to be able to take the time to determine a "GFSZ-free" route, nor will desire to stop, lock, drive, stop, unlock, OC, drive over and over to transit safely. Locked in a case is very good advice for his specific.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-31-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

He stated that if you had access to the gun in the cab, it must be locked up, and by implication a gun in a backpack between the seats falls into the same category. Both statements are patently untrue. It's FUD and bad advice. I'm not here to beat up anyone for giving bad advice, I merely want to correct and educate. It benefits everyone.

"Live Free or Die"

He stated that if you had access to the gun in the cab, it must be locked up, and by implication a gun in a backpack between the seats falls into the same category. Both statements are patently untrue. It's FUD and bad advice. I'm not here to beat up anyone for giving bad advice, I merely want to correct and educate. It benefits everyone.
    If he had made that statement only, correct. But that statement by him was made in context of his post about GFSZ, so it WAS "good advice."

Had you desired only to "correct and educate" as opposed to "beat up anyone for giving bad advice," you could have approached it in a "correct and educate" manner instead of the "beat up" manner you chose. Fair?

That is "beating up for giving bad advice."

And, he did NOT give "bad advice." The advice he gave will work for the specifics stated. That is not "bad." Had he said something like "just hide it under the seat and don't tell anyone," you can claim it would be "bad advice." It does not have to match the law exactly to be good, it just needs to fit within the law to be good. Your view of "good" must be only "exactly as allowed and no more stringent."

His only true fault was his own admitted inaccuracy about what CAN be legal in addition to "locked," and the misconception that he presents that it must be "locked" if it is within reach. And it is only a misconception if it is parsed away from his GFSZ statement. With the GFSZ statement, his advice was actually VERY good advice.
    Last edited by wrightme; 07-31-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Just Us View Post
    I'm a fill-in for a team run and have no lock box handy.

my understanding is no cartridge and magazine in the firearm.

So might not be a good idea to keep it in the backpack with magazine out of it.

I'll be in LA about 2-3 in the morning sunday.
    If you have it in your backpack and the backpack isn't locked, then it is a violation of PC 12025 as it is a concealed firearm. Seeing as you are not a California resident, if you have a firearm that isn't registered with the CA DOJ, and it is concealed, you could face felony charges instead of just misdemeanor charges.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Poblacht32 View Post
    It is technically legal. In People v Hale the handgun was NOT locked up, it was exposed (not a 12025 violation).

I'm simply warning that I believe it is likely to be misapplied by trial courts to mean "any concealed mag = 12025 violation."

On appeal, if you can afford one (don't count on getting a free appeal from the justice system), you would probably prevail.

My advice is simply, don't do it if you aren't ready to drop non-refundable money into an appeal.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

After reading this thread, I am so glad that I don't live in Kalifornia. The state makes the law so technical that no one can absolutely follow it 100% of the time. Sounds like they make it that way to rack up anti-gun satistics and impose a "legal" gun ban.
    When I bought my first pistol a few months ago I didn't hesitate. I stuffed it in my car door cubby hole with no fear of being caught with it concealed or open. It didn't matter if I was parked right next to a school or the capital building. I don't live there, but feel your fustrations.

Note: I did this according to Mississippi state law, not California. I was comparing and contrasting the two different states. Do not try and do what I do in Mississippi in California. Them LEOs be crazy in that neck of the woods.
    Last edited by DCKilla; 08-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Just seems to me that given the axle and gross weight restrictions on tractor-trailers that leaving the handgun behind in Washington would allow for maybe an extra 1/2 gallon of fuel unless the OP is planning on staying in CA.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 08-01-2010 at 02:29 PM.

rushcreek2, and any others that reply in kind,

please be advised that when questions are asked HOW to LEGALLY carry in CA, we in CA are trying to give legal ways that people can carry, where they can carry and when they can carry. etc.
    To give known illegal advice would not help anyone, and would not help us in CA in the fight we have ahead of us.

If you or others do not listen to that advice, and choose to carry in an illegal way that is NOT ADVISED in CA, or by anyone from CA it will be at your own liability.

Many people, here,and in other gun support groups in CA are fighting on a daily basis to keep gun control laws off the books, and to regain some of the RIGHTS we have lost over the yrs.

Please DO NOT give known illegal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    rushcreek2, and any others that reply in kind,

please be advised that when questions are asked HOW to LEGALLY carry in CA, we in CA are trying to give legal ways that people can carry, where they can carry and when they can carry. etc.
    To give known illegal advice would not help anyone, and would not help us in CA in the fight we have ahead of us.

If you or others do not listen to that advice, and choose to carry in an illegal way that is NOT ADVISED in CA, or by anyone from CA it will be at your own liability.

Many people, here,and in other gun support groups in CA are fighting on a daily basis to keep gun control laws off the books, and to regain some of the RIGHTS we have lost over the yrs.

Please DO NOT give known illegal advice.
    Correct. If any KNOWN illegal advice is noted, it is reportable under rule 15:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

I would like to thank EVERYBODIES comments. The different wording in the multiple codes, just trying to follow it all. I didn't take it with me this time. I want to make sure I understand it better first.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    See the Read This First thread, specifically, this flyer.
    Last edited by MudCamper; 08-03-2010 at 01:00 PM.