Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911, why are they liked?

1911, why are they liked?

I was asked a question by a person I know, but couldn't answer it the best.

Why are some guys or gals such big fans of the 1911 style handguns, what's the big deal with them?

The person isn't a member, but frequently looks on here.

It's a gun with personality. Tons of class and customizability. You can find 'em with history or you can get the newest most tactical thing on the market. You can have a hundred 1911's and none be the same as the next. My .02.

The 1911 has a long, distinguished history of service starting since, well, 1911.

It has a history of being a solid weapon and extremely safe to carry and use.

It's heavy-ish, slender and reliable.

It's built in some rendition or other by more companies around the world than just about any other firearm, except maybe the AK47.

The explanation for the allure of the 1911 is that the 1911 has an allure that requires no explanation.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-30-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Did mention to him alot of customizing comparing to other firearms.

But that's really about all I know. I've only shot one a couple round months ago.

I Like It!

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The explanation for the allure of the 1911 is that the 1911 has an allure that requires no explanation.

69Charger
    They have a rich history. Fires a big ars chunk of lead. Feels good in your hand. And has a great trigger.
    And I can't get this one off my arm.
    Dave

There are those of us for whom the "Government Model" was the first semi-auto pistol we ever shot ... I entered active duty in 1979, and promptly fell in love with the Colt 1911A1 .45. Growing up, the only handguns I'd been exposed to were generally S&W revolvers. After I became an MP, and first scored "expert" with the 1911, I was enthralled. Carrying one for years, becoming proficient with the platform and later becoming an armorer, well, the hook was set. Later, finding out just how you could expand the capabilities of a 1911, wow. No other pistol offers the endless variations and capabilities of a 1911.

To paraphrase my 4-wheeling buddies and their Jeep saying: If you have to ask, you just can't understand.

I like mine because it feels better in my hand than any other gun I have picked up. It's reliable. When I squeeze the trigger, it goes bang, every time. I have a Dan Wesson stainless steel Bobtail Commander. Being a woman, I want the weight of steel to help offset felt recoil. I've loved 1911s since I first shot one, a Kimber. Your friend probably won't understand until he shoots one himself. I carry this gun on a daily basis and trust my life to it.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Well, Ruby, I don't know you, but I have to say that any woman who carries a DW CBOB has exquisite taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    Well, Ruby, I don't know you, but I have to say that any woman who carries a DW CBOB has exquisite taste.
    Thank you!!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Just Us View Post
    Did mention to him alot of customizing comparing to other firearms.

But that's really about all I know. I've only shot one a couple round months ago.
    Should've been enough to do the trick.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    I like mine because it feels better in my hand than any other gun I have picked up. It's reliable. When I squeeze the trigger, it goes bang, every time. I have a Dan Wesson stainless steel Bobtail Commander. Being a woman, I want the weight of steel to help offset felt recoil. I've loved 1911s since I first shot one, a Kimber. Your friend probably won't understand until he shoots one himself. I carry this gun on a daily basis and trust my life to it.
    Ayuh!

Whose in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    There are those of us for whom the "Government Model" was the first semi-auto pistol we ever shot ... I entered active duty in 1979, and promptly fell in love with the Colt 1911A1 .45. Growing up, the only handguns I'd been exposed to were generally S&W revolvers. After I became an MP, and first scored "expert" with the 1911, I was enthralled. Carrying one for years, becoming proficient with the platform and later becoming an armorer, well, the hook was set. Later, finding out just how you could expand the capabilities of a 1911, wow. No other pistol offers the endless variations and capabilities of a 1911.

To paraphrase my 4-wheeling buddies and their Jeep saying: If you have to ask, you just can't understand.
    Bo, how the heck did you know what I was thinking. Entered service in "86" Tanker stationed in the
    desert with a vietnam era M1911A1 and a M3 grease gun how much more nostalgic does it get. I hated to trade
    it in for an M9 but still I grew to appreciate it for what it was and accept it for what it was not.

Now A Glock 21 is my primary but I am so in love with my 1918 Remington made Government Model.
    Just like an old car, when you get to know them you will come to rely on them. That 1950 flathead ford just
    won't quit.

Tons of class and customizability.
    Popular because, like the 10/22 and AR15, you buy one, then find it is so easy to replace all the parts with good ones.

Bruce

I like 1911's because of thier history. John Moses was years ahead of his time when he designed it. I have several guns for just as many different reasons. The 1911 is just one of those things of beauty that I had to add to my collection. I also have a 10/22 and an AR15, those are just some of the guns that every man (or woman) should own.

+1 to all of this

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    I like 1911's because of thier history. John Moses was years ahead of his time when he designed it. I have several guns for just as many different reasons. The 1911 is just one of those things of beauty that I had to add to my collection. I also have a 10/22 and an AR15, those are just some of the guns that every man (or woman) should own.
    I don't have a 1911 yet because I haven't felt it was important or the right time to decide. It is the only form or gun I have picked up and shot all the centers out of 6 on the first shots.

History, Reliability, Versatility, Customization, and it is SEXXY !
    Semper Fi
    I am a Sheep Dog, ... Wolves Beware !

Quote Originally Posted by Aryk45XD View Post
    I don't have a 1911 yet because I haven't felt it was important or the right time to decide. It is the only form or gun I have picked up and shot all the centers out of 6 on the first shots.
    Yes, they are very accurate. I shoot much better with my 1911 than I do with my S&W 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Yes, they are very accurate. I shoot much better with my 1911 than I do with my S&W 9.
    Ruby has a very nice 1911. Although, personally I prefer my Beretta...I just like the way it feels.

Ruby, is your 1911 a double stack? FWIU there are 1911's that are double stack now...or is that only in 9mm?
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

the way they feel

I bought mine mostly for my wife. She didn't like the thickness of a double stack.

its operation is as simmple as it gets. No deckocker, no odd double action trigger pull.
    (Actually I even moded my USP to remove the decocker after spending some time on my 1911)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Plath View Post
    Ruby has a very nice 1911. Although, personally I prefer my Beretta...I just like the way it feels.

Ruby, is your 1911 a double stack? FWIU there are 1911's that are double stack now...or is that only in 9mm?

No, it's a single stack. Mag holds 8 +1 in the chamber and 2 spare mags. I carry it cocked and locked. My S&W 9 is a double stack, holds 12. I have shot a Beretta, don't remember what model; good gun. I think choice of gun has a lot to do with feel and what we are comfortable with. I am fairly new to guns and shooting, just got into it last January. If I had been introduced to another kind of gun, I might have preferred it. I have shot a few different ones now, but still prefer my Dan Wesson.

The Beretta 92FS grip is much wider than your 1911. I prefer a larger grip. The 1911 grip felt unsure to grip. You carry what you are comfortable with. If we carried what others were comfortable with, we would be carrying a hundred guns on us.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

It works. It has been proven to work in some of the worst conditions imaginable. I've carried one while acting as a first line of defense in the Fulda Gap, trusting my life to it. What else is there to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Plath View Post
    The Beretta 92FS grip is much wider than your 1911. I prefer a larger grip. The 1911 grip felt unsure to grip. You carry what you are comfortable with. If we carried what others were comfortable with, we would be carrying a hundred guns on us.
    The wide grip on some guns is why I don't like Glocks. I'm just the opposite, I like a grip I can get my hands around, even though my hands are average size for a woman. The narrower grip gives me a better feeling of being able to control the gun, especially in a .45. My S&W 9, even though it's a double stack, is also the compact model so the grip isn't all that wide. I'm just glad that guns come in all shapes and sizes so everyone can have one that works for them! BTW, what does FWIU mean? I've seen this before, but I'm not up to speed on what is stands for. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast