• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911, why are they liked?

Just Us

I was asked a question by a person I know, but couldn't answer it the best.

Why are some guys or gals such big fans of the 1911 style handguns, what's the big deal with them?

The person isn't a member, but frequently looks on here.

SargentMac

It's a gun with personality. Tons of class and customizability. You can find 'em with history or you can get the newest most tactical thing on the market. You can have a hundred 1911's and none be the same as the next. My .02.

j2l3

The 1911 has a long, distinguished history of service starting since, well, 1911.

It has a history of being a solid weapon and extremely safe to carry and use.

It's heavy-ish, slender and reliable.

It's built in some rendition or other by more companies around the world than just about any other firearm, except maybe the AK47.

Just Us

Did mention to him alot of customizing comparing to other firearms.

But that's really about all I know. I've only shot one a couple round months ago.

69Charger

They have a rich history. Fires a big ars chunk of lead. Feels good in your hand. And has a great trigger.
And I can't get this one off my arm. :)
Dave
tat002.jpg

Bo

There are those of us for whom the "Government Model" was the first semi-auto pistol we ever shot ... I entered active duty in 1979, and promptly fell in love with the Colt 1911A1 .45. Growing up, the only handguns I'd been exposed to were generally S&W revolvers. After I became an MP, and first scored "expert" with the 1911, I was enthralled. Carrying one for years, becoming proficient with the platform and later becoming an armorer, well, the hook was set. Later, finding out just how you could expand the capabilities of a 1911, wow. No other pistol offers the endless variations and capabilities of a 1911.

To paraphrase my 4-wheeling buddies and their Jeep saying: If you have to ask, you just can't understand.

Ruby

I like mine because it feels better in my hand than any other gun I have picked up. It's reliable. When I squeeze the trigger, it goes bang, every time. I have a Dan Wesson stainless steel Bobtail Commander. Being a woman, I want the weight of steel to help offset felt recoil. I've loved 1911s since I first shot one, a Kimber. Your friend probably won't understand until he shoots one himself. I carry this gun on a daily basis and trust my life to it.

Bo

Well, Ruby, I don't know you, but I have to say that any woman who carries a DW CBOB has exquisite taste.

tony d tiger

I like mine because it feels better in my hand than any other gun I have picked up. It's reliable. When I squeeze the trigger, it goes bang, every time. I have a Dan Wesson stainless steel Bobtail Commander. Being a woman, I want the weight of steel to help offset felt recoil. I've loved 1911s since I first shot one, a Kimber. Your friend probably won't understand until he shoots one himself. I carry this gun on a daily basis and trust my life to it.
Ayuh!

DEFENSOR

Whose in there?

There are those of us for whom the "Government Model" was the first semi-auto pistol we ever shot ... I entered active duty in 1979, and promptly fell in love with the Colt 1911A1 .45. Growing up, the only handguns I'd been exposed to were generally S&W revolvers. After I became an MP, and first scored "expert" with the 1911, I was enthralled. Carrying one for years, becoming proficient with the platform and later becoming an armorer, well, the hook was set. Later, finding out just how you could expand the capabilities of a 1911, wow. No other pistol offers the endless variations and capabilities of a 1911.

To paraphrase my 4-wheeling buddies and their Jeep saying: If you have to ask, you just can't understand.

Bo, how the heck did you know what I was thinking. Entered service in "86" Tanker stationed in the
desert with a vietnam era M1911A1 and a M3 grease gun how much more nostalgic does it get. I hated to trade
it in for an M9 but still I grew to appreciate it for what it was and accept it for what it was not.

Now A Glock 21 is my primary but I am so in love with my 1918 Remington made Government Model.
Just like an old car, when you get to know them you will come to rely on them. That 1950 flathead ford just
won't quit.

bcp

Tons of class and customizability.

Popular because, like the 10/22 and AR15, you buy one, then find it is so easy to replace all the parts with good ones. :)

Bruce

Jayd1981

I like 1911's because of thier history. John Moses was years ahead of his time when he designed it. I have several guns for just as many different reasons. The 1911 is just one of those things of beauty that I had to add to my collection. I also have a 10/22 and an AR15, those are just some of the guns that every man (or woman) should own.

Aryk45XD

+1 to all of this

I like 1911's because of thier history. John Moses was years ahead of his time when he designed it. I have several guns for just as many different reasons. The 1911 is just one of those things of beauty that I had to add to my collection. I also have a 10/22 and an AR15, those are just some of the guns that every man (or woman) should own.

I don't have a 1911 yet because I haven't felt it was important or the right time to decide. It is the only form or gun I have picked up and shot all the centers out of 6 on the first shots.

Ruby

I don't have a 1911 yet because I haven't felt it was important or the right time to decide. It is the only form or gun I have picked up and shot all the centers out of 6 on the first shots.

Yes, they are very accurate. I shoot much better with my 1911 than I do with my S&W 9.

Beretta92FSLady

Yes, they are very accurate. I shoot much better with my 1911 than I do with my S&W 9.

Ruby has a very nice 1911. Although, personally I prefer my Beretta...I just like the way it feels.

Ruby, is your 1911 a double stack? FWIU there are 1911's that are double stack now...or is that only in 9mm?