• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911, why are they liked?

Sparky508

the way they feel

I bought mine mostly for my wife. She didn't like the thickness of a double stack.

its operation is as simmple as it gets. No deckocker, no odd double action trigger pull.
(Actually I even moded my USP to remove the decocker after spending some time on my 1911)

Ruby

Ruby has a very nice 1911. Although, personally I prefer my Beretta...I just like the way it feels.

Ruby, is your 1911 a double stack? FWIU there are 1911's that are double stack now...or is that only in 9mm?

No, it's a single stack. Mag holds 8 +1 in the chamber and 2 spare mags. I carry it cocked and locked. My S&W 9 is a double stack, holds 12. I have shot a Beretta, don't remember what model; good gun. I think choice of gun has a lot to do with feel and what we are comfortable with. I am fairly new to guns and shooting, just got into it last January. If I had been introduced to another kind of gun, I might have preferred it. I have shot a few different ones now, but still prefer my Dan Wesson.

Beretta92FSLady

The Beretta 92FS grip is much wider than your 1911. I prefer a larger grip. The 1911 grip felt unsure to grip. You carry what you are comfortable with. If we carried what others were comfortable with, we would be carrying a hundred guns on us.

oneeyeross

It works. It has been proven to work in some of the worst conditions imaginable. I've carried one while acting as a first line of defense in the Fulda Gap, trusting my life to it. What else is there to say?

Ruby

The Beretta 92FS grip is much wider than your 1911. I prefer a larger grip. The 1911 grip felt unsure to grip. You carry what you are comfortable with. If we carried what others were comfortable with, we would be carrying a hundred guns on us.

The wide grip on some guns is why I don't like Glocks. I'm just the opposite, I like a grip I can get my hands around, even though my hands are average size for a woman. The narrower grip gives me a better feeling of being able to control the gun, especially in a .45. My S&W 9, even though it's a double stack, is also the compact model so the grip isn't all that wide. I'm just glad that guns come in all shapes and sizes so everyone can have one that works for them! BTW, what does FWIU mean? I've seen this before, but I'm not up to speed on what is stands for. Thanks!

Ruby

The wide grip on some guns is why I don't like Glocks. I'm just the opposite, I like a grip I can get my hands around, even though my hands are average size for a woman. The narrower grip gives me a better feeling of being able to control the gun, especially in a .45. My S&W 9, even though it's a double stack, is also the compact model so the grip isn't all that wide. I'm just glad that guns come in all shapes and sizes so everyone can have one that works for them! BTW, what does FWIU mean? I've seen this before, but I'm not up to speed on what is stands for. Thanks!

Never mind about the FWIU, I looked it up. Thanks anyway!

amlevin

Why do so many like the 1911

Some people like them because they carried on in the service.
Some like them because they feel good in their hand.
Some like them because they shoot well with one.
Some like them because it allows them to customize it and have lots of parts available.
Some like them because the look cool.

and then

Some like them because everyone else has one.

Pick one of the above or even add some of your own

Then there are those that don't like the 1911.

I carried one in the service, didn't like it, and now carry a Sig. I guess that leaves one more for those that do like it.

unknownsailor

• Designed by John Moses Browning (hallowed be thy name)
  • Naturally point-ability due to grip angle
  • Long career in USGI form
  • Millions of service members carried it
  • Endless parts availability
  • Endlessly customizable
  • In it's natural form is chambered in a hard hitting caliber
I could go on, but those are the highlights, I think...

Last edited:

Bersa.380

To paraphrase my 4-wheeling buddies and their Jeep saying: If you have to ask, you just can't understand.

Actually it is a Harley-Davidson saying .... it goes like this: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand !

And my first experience with a semi-auto pistol was a 1911 while in the Navy ! They're like the Grand-daddy of all pistols. I might add one to my collection some day to leave laying around the house, but I find them to big and heavy for conceal carry, so I rock a Beretta PX4-Storm .40 S&W or of course my name sake !!

Last edited:

badger

They've been getting the job done for a century.

This is my Kimber Custom II with hand scrimshawed Corian grips. My daily carry pistol.

-Badger

Attachments

• Kimber.jpg
    Kimber.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 62

bennie1986

They've been getting the job done for a century.

This is my Kimber Custom II with hand scrimshawed Corian grips. My daily carry pistol.

-Badger

After seeing this picture no further explanation is needed! I want similar grips for my S&W1911! Sweet gun man!!!

Last edited:

badger

After seeing this picture no further explanation is needed! I want similar grips for my S&W1911! Sweet gun man!!!

Thank you. I ordered my grips from Kasey Nensinger in Illinois. She does great work and is very prompt with shipping. I had my grips 2 days after placing my order. Here's a link to her website

http://gunshowgirl.com/

-Badger

Last edited: