• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More FALSE propoganda from the NRA

comp45acp

The best way to call them out on it is to call them and write them. They need to understand that we do have a provision for carrying in Wisconsin and that many of us engage in it.

Howey01

It is very clear to me that the NRA has sold out they continue to say they support all gun rights but i am not so sure about that no membership for me anymore too wishy washy

wrightme

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=18

This is ABSOLUTELY FALSE. We all know this as most if not all of us carry. As long as the NRA persists in spreading this FALSE garbage, I will continue to call them out on it.

Instead of acting upset, have you considered contacting them with relevant statute so they may update their website?

They DO list more accurate information at Federal and State Firearms Laws
specifically:
CARRYING
It is unlawful for any person except a peace officer to go
armed with a concealed and dangerous weapon. There is no statutory
provision for obtaining a license or permit to carry a concealed
weapon. State law does not prohibit the open carrying of a firearm,
but a person should exercise caution when carrying a firearm in
public.
It is unlawful to go armed with a firearm in any building
owned or leased by the state or any political subdivision of the state.

Last edited:

wrightme

A co-worker once told me "Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity or ignorance until proven otherwise"
I am of the opinion that it is none of the above. In my view, the NRA chooses to use a narrow and misleading definition of "Right to Carry" as noted in the Compendium of State firearm laws, where one section lists a column for "Right to Carry Concealed"

At that page, they do accurately portray the firearms laws of WI, listing as Concealed is Denied, and Open Carry is not denied.

M

McX

COMMENT REMOVED FOR RULE VIOLATION: No bashing other gun rights groups.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Have you contacted NRA regarding this issue?

I have spoken with NRA officials and lobbyists as well as writing them via the contact us contact us form from the web. We have been going back and forth on this since April.

I understand those who say "with current restrictions, WI is a no right to carry state," but given the fact that so many of us here carry, that perception is invalid and so is the statement. An accurate statement would be, "Wisconsin is not a concealed carry state."

I'll keep lobbying them, and hopefully they will come around.

Interceptor_Knight

I understand those who say "with current restrictions, WI is a no right to carry state," but given the fact that so many of us here carry, that perception is invalid and so is the statement.

We may only carry within the gaps of the current Statutes which makes carry impossible or impractical at many times in your daily life. The NRA is rating the States the same as it rates condidates. WI gets a low rating as we do not have a practical right to carry. WI is simply rated as not being a "right to carry" State.
In no way is the NRA stating that you may never OC at any time in WI.
When I can holster up in the morning and not touch my handgun until I get back home, it will be a tangible practical "right".

Last edited:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
That's NOT what the statement says

IK: Although I agree with your understanding of the statement, but that is NOT what is says. A lay person would NEVER arrive at that same conclusion, and that's where I have the problem. Clarification IS needed.

Captain Nemo

Article I section 25:
"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose".

In State v Hamdan the WSC defined keep to mean possess and bear to mean carry(reference para. 41). The Attorney General says we have the constitutional right to open carry. The governor says we can open carry, In the prosecution of Hmdan the State said it had no issue with Hamdan if he had open carried. The State's argument was that the firearm was concealed. What do you want IK. A statute that specifically says "The people of wisconsin have the constitutional right to carry firearms, in the manner of choice, for security, defense, recreation, or any lawful purpose". The state constitution already implies that. Unfortunately the WSC must have been drinking "funny water' when it wrote the Hamdan and Cole judgements. In both judgements it ruled that the prohibition of concealed carry is constitutional because it doesn't infringe on the right to carry. It only prescribes a manner of carry. In Hamdan the WSC said this:

¶71. In circumstances where the State's interest in restricting the right to keep and bear arms is minimal and the private interest in exercising the right is substantial, an individual needs a way to exercise the right without violating the law. We hold, in these circumstances, that regulations limiting a constitutional right to keep and bear arms must leave some realistic alternative means to exercise the right.

¶72. For instance, in order to keep and bear arms for the purpose of securing one's own property, a weapon must be kept somewhere and may need to be handled or moved, all within the weapon owner's property. During these times, the firearm will be either visible or concealed. The State argues that even under the strictest enforcement of the CCW statute, a person lawfully in possession of a firearm will always retain the ability to keep the firearm in the open--holding the weapon in the open, keeping the weapon in a visible holster, displaying the weapon on the wall,32 or otherwise placing the weapon in plain view.

The court ruled in Hamdan and Cole that the concealed carry prohibition statute is constitutional. Only a peace officer can carry a concealed weapon. In paragraph 72 above the WSC recognizes that there are two manners of carry visible (open) and concealed. In paragraph 71 above the WSC ruled that a regulation that limits a constitutional right (concealed carry) "must leave some realistic alternative means to exercise that right" (open carry).

What part of this doesn't the NRA understand. A fifth grader would.

wrightme

Article I section 25:
"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose".

In State v Hamdan the WSC defined keep to mean possess and bear to mean carry(reference para. 41). The Attorney General says we have the constitutional right to open carry. The governor says we can open carry, In the prosecution of Hmdan the State said it had no issue with Hamdan if he had open carried. The State's argument was that the firearm was concealed. What do you want IK. A statute that specifically says "The people of wisconsin have the constitutional right to carry firearms, in the manner of choice, for security, defense, recreation, or any lawful purpose". The state constitution already implies that. Unfortunately the WSC must have been drinking "funny water' when it wrote the Hamdan and Cole judgements. In both judgements it ruled that the prohibition of concealed carry is constitutional because it doesn't infringe on the right to carry. It only prescribes a manner of carry. In Hamdan the WSC said this:

¶71. In circumstances where the State's interest in restricting the right to keep and bear arms is minimal and the private interest in exercising the right is substantial, an individual needs a way to exercise the right without violating the law. We hold, in these circumstances, that regulations limiting a constitutional right to keep and bear arms must leave some realistic alternative means to exercise the right.

¶72. For instance, in order to keep and bear arms for the purpose of securing one's own property, a weapon must be kept somewhere and may need to be handled or moved, all within the weapon owner's property. During these times, the firearm will be either visible or concealed. The State argues that even under the strictest enforcement of the CCW statute, a person lawfully in possession of a firearm will always retain the ability to keep the firearm in the open--holding the weapon in the open, keeping the weapon in a visible holster, displaying the weapon on the wall,32 or otherwise placing the weapon in plain view.

The court ruled in Hamdan and Cole that the concealed carry prohibition statute is constitutional. Only a peace officer can carry a concealed weapon. In paragraph 72 above the WSC recognizes that there are two manners of carry visible (open) and concealed. In paragraph 71 above the WSC ruled that a regulation that limits a constitutional right (concealed carry) "must leave some realistic alternative means to exercise that right" (open carry).

What part of this doesn't the NRA understand. A fifth grader would.
There are several posts in this thread that do address it fairly. Have you reviewed them? Even the NRA correctly states WI law; just not at the specific link mentioned, which has to do specifically with what the NRA calls "Right to Carry" (which to them, is concealed).