Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Free State to move to?

Most Free State to move to?

Eventually I want to move to the United States and I've personally been to Texas dozens of times as well as Minnesota but that's about it.

Whats your guys` opinions on the most free'est and OC friendly state?

I've been looking at Montana.

Since I live right above Montana, basically the same praire/mountain landscape which I love.
    Extremely low population considering how big the state is too.
    In my experience, with no general vigilance the lower the population the more Freedom.

Texas is cool but it is far too south for me & I'm a 100% northerner and don't fit too terribly well with Southerners although I do respect & admire their way of life.

Anyone know anything more about Montana that people looking to move there should be aware of that they can't get off google? Is is true they have no speed limits?

Take a look at Wyoming. Large group of people here who really understand freedom and self defense rights. Free State Wyoming http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php
    Last edited by MamaLiberty; 07-31-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffe View Post
    Anyone know anything more about Montana that people looking to move there should be aware of that they can't get off google? Is is true they have no speed limits?
    http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/speed_limit.shtml via Scroogle. Maybe G00gle is just giving the party line.

Despite how free a given state appears to be, you will stiff have to deal with LEOs that either aren't savvy or not interested in what the law actually is.

BTW, Texas ain't free because we still can't open-carry down here, and that's not likely to change until 2013 at the very earliest. The legislature only meets every other year, and from what I gather, open-carry isn't even on the docket for 2011.

Banned
    Kentucky
    Arizona
    Alaska
    Vermont

Kentucky would be the best all around I think. The place is beautiful, not too hot not too cold, the people in general have their feet on the ground, and the laws are good relating to guns.

Arizona gets my vote. Open carry has never been banned there, so LEO's are pretty hip and OK with it. I love the fact that they have the stones to buck the feds, too. It will probably be the first to secede, if any of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudjack View Post
    Arizona gets my vote for the freest state to move to. Yes, even in spite of their recent kick to the ribs by the Fed on the immigration law and the fact that they are overrun with criminal Mestizo trespassing hordes--they are still the freest.
    Xenophobic much?

Forget about New Hampshire and the Free State Project. They are hi-jacked and headed in the wrong direction.
    Explain Please?
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

75MPH speed limits here, too. Concealed carry in cars legal everywhere in the state; OC legal everywhere except Denver County. Shall issue, great weather--no humidity, and the Colorado Springs area is staunchly conservative with a county sheriff who sends you a personal letter when you get your CCW thanking you for taking steps to protect your family. Once we kick some of the liberal ******** from Denver/Boulder out this November, will be a strong red state again. MT, ID, WY and CO are the best states in the country, imo, and I've lived in lots of places from CA to MA, NH to TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    75MPH speed limits here, too. Concealed carry in cars legal everywhere in the state; OC legal everywhere except Denver County. Shall issue, great weather--no humidity, and the Colorado Springs area is staunchly conservative with a county sheriff who sends you a personal letter when you get your CCW thanking you for taking steps to protect your family. Once we kick some of the liberal ******** from Denver/Boulder out this November, will be a strong red state again. MT, ID, WY and CO are the best states in the country, imo, and I've lived in lots of places from CA to MA, NH to TX.
    Man I love Colorado.

Definitely Alaska! No state gun laws and a preemption clause. More importantly, the attitude in general is one of minding your own business and letting the other guy mind his. Not saying there aren't any busybodies, but in general busybody-ness is not institutionalized.

South Dakota!

Rated 3rd most free state in a recent study, great respect for privacy, RKBA and also has the 4th most healthy state economy right now - happy neighbor to Wyoming - have the SD Firearms Freedom Act - last state in the Union to allow Tommy Guns to be sold -

Quote Originally Posted by Half Live View Post
    Man I love Colorado.
    So do I but we're watching the next (state) election to see how much longer we're going to stick around or move north to WY.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I gotta agree with you on that one. I lived in Texas my whole life and moved up here a little more than a year ago. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!

Check this Website:

Go to this website and find a State that gets an "F" from the Brady Group:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/

Quote Originally Posted by rugerdon View Post

Hey, that website is actually very useful. I didn't know Washington state allowed more than 1 firearm purchase per month. I know what I'm going to be doing when I get my work bonus!
    Last edited by onlurker; 08-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Thumbs up

Perfect zero here in Utah!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jensen View Post
    Perfect zero here in Utah!
    Something to be proud of--along with the lowest % of votes for Obooba.

Quote Originally Posted by rodbender View Post
    Arizona gets my vote. Open carry has never been banned there, so LEO's are pretty hip and OK with it. I love the fact that they have the stones to buck the feds, too. It will probably be the first to secede, if any of them do.
    I can only hope =)

In all fairness, we get some of our ideas from other places. The whole thing about guns made/sold/kept within the state being exempt from federal regulation thing was started by Montana, for example. Permit-less concealed carry certainly got some influence from Vermont and Alaska. I'm not sure where the illegal immigration thing truly spawned, although I think we did do a damn fine job of putting it center stage on the plate of national affairs =)

Unfortunately we slack in the realm of quality education and fiscal responsibility. We're working on fixing that though...

Like I Told My Wife...

Quote Originally Posted by onlurker View Post
    Hey, that website is actually very useful. I didn't know Washington state allowed more than 1 firearm purchase per month. I know what I'm going to be doing when I get my work bonus!
    I told my wife: "But Honey, the law says you HAVE to buy one gun a month."

That didn't fly!

I'm very disappointed that Wyoming got a score of 10 from the BB. Maybe after this November we can correct that.

The BB do not have a clue about all the stupid "laws" we just ignore out here in the wilderness. <grin> There is a disconnect between what goes on in Cheyenne and outback Wyoming.

The "law" of men must be enforced by men. Real LAW pretty much enforces itself.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Louisiana. Sportsman's paradise. Oc is legal and gaining ground everyday. We have the best food in the nation, as long as you stay out of New Orleans, everyone for the most part minds their own business.

Montana hands down!

Close 2nd
    Wyoming
    Arizona

Montana did have NO speed limit when the Feds first unrestricted them. A few years ago they started back with posted limits. Beyond actual Laws I think one must look at the prevailing 'attitude' of the population. I don't think you can beat Montana and Wyoming.
    Last edited by VAopencarry; 08-07-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast