Thread: Survey of Open Carrying Wisconsin, 200 miles, five days, bars, hotels, motels, parks,

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Survey of Open Carrying Wisconsin, 200 miles, five days, bars, hotels, motels, parks,

On Sunday 25 July we did a little warm up ride to Port Washington, and back to near Belgium, for various refreshments. Monday we rode to Sheboygan. Tuesday - thru Manitowoc to Two Rivers. Wednesday - Algoma. Thursday - Baileys Harbor. Friday, home to the Island.

Leaving Belgium I saw their "no firearm discharge" signs (that inspired me to this survey). I saw roughly, or heard, one quadzillion motorcycles with HOGS on top. I saw one constable, two sheriff's deputies and two town cops.

I rode from Algoma to Baileys Harbor in three hours (plus waiting for the other riders), easily averaging 16 mph with bursts to thirty mph as I rolled the rolling hills.

I SAW NO GUNS OF ANY SORT.

If population estimation statistics are used with the information available here on OCDO-WI, the gun carrying population of Wisconsin can be extrapolated - the size of the "movement" - and some of its attributes can be estimated.

Despite a pretension of a scientific basis, it seems like a poorly designed and flawed study.

OC'ing on Bike Trails

I ride bicycle for "relaxation" and exercise on the state bike trails. In the 2 1/2 months and 500-600 miles on the trails I haven't seen or noticed anyone else carrying. I have a high ride holster and a snub nose .357 which is not very noticeable. Once in awhile someone will do a double take but generally nobody seems to notice. Today at a trail pass check point the DNR official acted as if he didn't notice but he had to see the gun. As of yet, nothing has been said about the gun or the "why" of carrying. So if anyone is nervous about carrying, go ahead, it's probably not that noticeable. Depending of course on your "display".
    Last edited by Krusty; 07-31-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    On Sunday 25 July we did a little warm up ride to Port Washington, and back to near Belgium, for various refreshments. Monday we rode to Sheboygan. Tuesday - thru Manitowoc to Two Rivers. Wednesday - Algoma. Thursday - Baileys Harbor. Friday, home to the Island.

Leaving Belgium I saw their "no firearm discharge" signs (that inspired me to this survey). I saw roughly, or heard, one quadzillion motorcycles with HOGS on top. I saw one constable, two sheriff's deputies and two town cops.

I rode from Algoma to Baileys Harbor in three hours (plus waiting for the other riders), easily averaging 16 mph with bursts to thirty mph as I rolled the rolling hills.

I SAW NO GUNS OF ANY SORT.

If population estimation statistics are used with the information available here on OCDO-WI, the gun carrying population of Wisconsin can be extrapolated - the size of the "movement" - and some of its attributes can be estimated.
    So the sheriffs deputies were not carrying exposed firearms?

That DOES seem odd....