Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 9mm to get...

Question Which 9mm to get...

The price of ammo has really cramped my style for a good while now, but it's also cramping my training opportunities. I plan to attend 4 day sest of classes in two different states next year, and I absolutely cannot afford to feed my .45 for 8 days of intensive training. I did one of those courses with the Ruger SP101 last time, and I'll never take another class with a revolver unless it is a revolvers ONLY class.

I also want to begin to train seriously with the 9mm because, at some point, I'll probably do more and more CC - so whatever I buy will be my CC gun as well.

At this point I'm thinking that the XD subcompact 9mm would be the best, since I love the XD and the operation/maintenance would be the same as for the .45 I've carried for so long. I also already have an excellent holster for it.

I don't have a lot of money, so the fancy stuff is out of the picture from the get go. But I'm very open to suggestions. Some real (maybe documented?) reasons to consider other guns would be welcome. Just because you love yours best won't influence me too much. <big grin>
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Constant Carry

If your going to carry all the time, weight will be one of your biggest factors in the comfort department.

The lightest double stack 9's are Glock and Walther P99.

This needs to be weighed against the benefit the xD has, as it is some operation/trigger to what you have now.

Then again for CC understand all these, even in their compact/subcompact models are very bulky and difficult to CC all the time, in all weather. It can be done, just not comfortably or well.

Possibly you should consider a single stack 9 if constant CC is required. Kahr P9, Kel-tec PF9, Walther PPS are all good choices.

PS- I recently made the switch due to ammo cost and weight. Went from all steel 1911 to the Glock 19. I love it, am very happy so far, however the difference in triggers is going to take a lot of getting used to. If you go doublestack, the XD9compact might win out over its lighter competitors for the same trigger advantage.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Glock. They don't break, jam, misfire, etc. They will eat crap ammo and never let you down. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    Glock. They don't break, jam, misfire, etc. They will eat crap ammo and never let you down. My 2 cents.
    Never say never. I have never heard of any brand that never had a failure. It may just be me, but it seems I hear of more catastrophic failures with Glocks. Maybe it's because there are so many of them out there, and many in the hands of the inexperienced, but who knows. Just a few images found in a basic search.

Last edited by zoom6zoom; 07-31-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Never say never. I have never heard of any brand that never had a failure. It may just be me, but it seems I hear of more catastrophic failures with Glocks. Maybe it's because there are so many of them out there, and many in the hands of the inexperienced, but who knows. Just a few images found in a basic search.

If I'm not mistaken, those photos of a destroyed Glock are due to bullet setback. Seems I've seen them before.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    <snip>I also want to begin to train seriously with the 9mm because, at some point, I'll probably do more and more CC - so whatever I buy will be my CC gun as well.

At this point I'm thinking that the XD subcompact 9mm would be the best, since I love the XD and the operation/maintenance would be the same as for the .45 I've carried for so long. I also already have an excellent holster for it. <snip>
    Since you already have an XD, keeping the same trigger feel, holster, and familiarity with it, I would say a XD subcompact is going to win. Price is great, performance is great, capacity is great so I don't see much else competing.

With that said, I shot my friends 9mm subcompact XD and liked it... but for me I like staying with 45acp and my Taurus PT145 is 10+1 and smaller than the XD. I layed my Taurus on top of his (really his wifes) XD and the taurus was noticeably smaller. So as far as CC is concerned the Taurus fits in my pocket with a pocket holster whereas the XD probably wouldn't. Many people don't like Taurus so I am not necessarily recommending it specifically but HOW you will CC will affect your decision. I tried IWB and decided it is too uncomfortable for me. So pocket carry works best for me. One gun that I was really interested in was the Berreta PX4 storm subcompact. Of course it only comes in 9mm and 40 so I decided against it. It's size is nice, capacity and manufacturer reliability was a plus. I had considered it as a replacement for my Taurus but wanted to stay with 45acp.

Kahr makes a small gun in the PM9 which is lightweight and thin. It is fairly expensive though and has smaller capacity. If you were only doing CC with it I might recommend the Kahr for comfort and fit. Since you plan to do training with your new gun the XD capacity is a nice fit.

Good luck and enjoy!

Don't Count Out the M&P 9

I did a 2-day qual course with a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 800 rounds through it over two days, not a single problem and I was putting it to the test. The 17 round mag was a bonus! My wife was taking the same course using a Glock 19 and had one FTE and one FTF, both of the weapons were used and we shot the same ammo. Take it for the cost of the advice, but I know my next purchase is going to be an M&P 9. I haven't shot the PPS 9, but I carry the PPS .40 every day and have put close to 1k rounds through it with no problems (other than the cost of the magazines $52 for a single-stack mag is highway robbery!)

Thanks, folks. I don't plan to CC a whole lot, since OC works much better for me - but there are times - and these classes make a 9 pretty much a necessity. I have a Hi-point 9, but the thing is much too painful to shoot.

Anyway, forgot to mention that I'm 5 ft. tall and any sort of CC on body is difficult unless I have a coat or heavy shirt on. I'm very used to the weight of the .45 so that's not a problem. The sub compact XD 9 is quite a bit more snappy than my .45, but not a deal breaker. And I'd live with lower capacity in a CC gun - just carry extra mags.

I always chuckle at the Glock folks. Would love to pick up one someday and be able to reach the trigger (strong hands but short fingers). So far I've never handled one I could shoot. Single stack/double stack seems to have nothing to do with it. My friend has a gorgeous 1911 .45 and I can't reach the trigger at all. No idea why I can shoot the XD line with no problems.

So, just have to save my pennies and get something fairly soon. I want to practice with it on my own as much as possible before the classes start.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Campaign Veteran
    I love my XDm9 but 20 rounds makes it a little heavy. Going to pickup a XD9 Sub.

Campaign Veteran
    I've had several XD9s and I've liked them all. Upon close examination and comparison to Glocks the XDs seem to better made/designed in every way (fit and finish, recoil spring, rail design, trigger, etc) except for the finish on the slide. I've had a XD9SC and it was great! Accurate, comfortable, somewhat compact, affordable. Full disclosure, however, I sold my XDs and got a Sig p229 in 9mm, with the beavertail, short reset and the short trigger. I think the Sig is a better gun, but it's expensive, so I won't recommend it. I would not feel bad at all if I still had my XDs.
    Last edited by petrophase; 08-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Banned
    You asked for a recommendation.

cz-52 or tt-33 in 7.62x25.

reasons:
    1. inexpensive.
    2. with c&r you can have it shipped direct
    3. high velocity, you'd have to use +p+ 9mm to match the low end of the 7.62x25
    4. $0.10 per round surplus readily available

A suggestion for you

I own four firearms made by Taurus and have had good luck with them all. Two are revolvers chambered in .44 Magnum so they are not applicable to this discussion. The other two are the Taurus PT-111 PRO (12 + 1) chambered in 9mm and the Taurus PT-145 PRO chambered in .45 ACP. (10 + 1)

Both were purchased recently for under $400 next door to you in Utah. (Cabela's dot com has 9mm for $9.99 per box of 50) Both fit nicely in the same holsters.

I am mentioning these two candidates not because I like them (I do), but because your post said cost is an issue.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by kwikrnu View Post
    You asked for a recommendation.

cz-52 or tt-33 in 7.62x25.
    Thanks! I looked at both of them via Gun Reports. The mag release of the cz is like the Ruger .22 pistol, and not acceptable for any sort of carry as far as I'm concerned. The tt-33 has a lanyard loop on the bottom, which would also make fast reloading a challenge.

Neither one is apt to be available here in rural Wyoming in any case. I don't buy papered guns, so that lets out finding one on line. Very interesting history on both of them, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    ...At this point I'm thinking that the XD subcompact 9mm would be the best, since I love the XD and the operation/maintenance would be the same as for the .45 I've carried for so long. I also already have an excellent holster for it.
    Right there is the best argument to stay with the same platform, the XD.

Until you find fault with it, or you have the discretionary income to experiment, stick with what works for you.

I wish I'd tried GLOCKs first. I went through CZs, SIGs, Walthers before I shot a G19.
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by RussP View Post
    Right there is the best argument to stay with the same platform, the XD.

Until you find fault with it, or you have the discretionary income to experiment, stick with what works for you.

I wish I'd tried GLOCKs first. I went through CZs, SIGs, Walthers before I shot a G19.
    This is very common. It seems that gun people are always searching for the "perfect gun" for whatever use to which it is to be put. Of course, there is no such thing. There are some which are better than others, but there is no perfect gun. So what do we do? We buy, keep for a while, then many times we sell it to make room for the next one we buy to begin the process all over again.

Oh well, perhaps we should think of this as aiding the economy - someone's that's for sure.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by VFORVENDETTA View Post
    Reload to heavy? Any gun will go boom.
    So true. I have seen Ruger .357 Magnum go boom, or was it a Smith and Wesson..its was a very long time ago. I think I still have the cylinder lying around here someplace.
    Does that mean all Ruger (or SW) .357 Magnums are bad and I should put them down every chance I get...nope

my favorite 9mm is still the Browning High Power... but could be coz I'm old skool

I just dig a pistol that puts the bullet exactly where you want it. Those suckers do that for me... they fit my style so well I almost don't need to use the sites.

I played around with one on a motion target course, hit everything and looked like a rockstar first time out with the Browning. Smooth action, smooth trigger, very little muzzle flip. Heavy recoil spring, can be more difficult to rack the slide than other models... but daaaaaaaang I love the way they shoot.

I have also played with the .40SW version... not the same. Something about the HP in 9mm that just seems to fit together...

If you want to switch up platforms (I would personally just buy an XDm9 or XDsc9 if that's what you like - or I had the money lol) you could always give the Ruger SR9 a shot (no pun intended). I have a P95, but I have put a few rounds downrange with an SR9 and I LOVED it. With the reversible backstrap (flat or arched) it could keep it small enough to fit your hands and they sell a compact version. I don't know, just a thought. Oh and the 17 round mags work in the compact version too! (one 10 round compact and one 17 with grip extension is included, at least most of the time)
    Last edited by ZackL; 08-02-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarification

Quote Originally Posted by simmonsjoe View Post
    the lightest double stack 9's are glock and walther p99
    fnp-9?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    fnp-9?
    G19 and P99 are 21oz
    fnp-9 is 24.7oz Then again fnp-9 is more similar to G17 (22oz)
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Taurus 9mm revolver

What about the 5 shot Taurus 9mm revolver? Thoughts?
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

You didn't read the OP's question.

Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    And decided to chime in with something unique so you'd look good.

If you want to go off topic start your own thread.

I'll admit that my 34oz 1911 does start to feel heavy after a while, but I hardly notice carrying a 26oz usp-c 9 all day on a good belt and in a good holster. In my experimentations with CC, the usp seems to work fine as well but it almost certainly falls in the lot of money category. Thickness is probably just a little bit more of a factor than weight there.
    Last edited by t33j; 08-03-2010 at 07:23 AM.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
    Thanks, but I won't train again with a revolver unless everyone else in the class has one too. The last time I was behind the curve the whole 4 days and all the other folks waited patiently for me to reload. Slowed everyone down terribly. And that was a much more basic course than the ones I'm planning to take next year. I seriously doubt a revolver would be allowed, actually.

So, while a revolver makes some sense for carry, it does not for advanced tactical courses not intended for revolvers. And I have a perfectly wonderful Ruger SP101 if I ever decide to take such a course.

Anyway, I've pretty much made up my mind that I want either an XD compact or sub-compact 9 for this deal. I'll see if I can find a way to shoot both of them before I go to buy one. I'd love to get them both, but the budget just isn't going to stand for it.

I'd recommend going to a range that will rent you an XDsc and an M&Pc. Shoot both side-by-side and see which you prefer That's what I did, and I ended up with the M&P (though, mine's in .357sig). The prices are comparable. The benefits as I see it to either weapon, is the ability to have a short grip (12 rounds in the M&P) for CC or a fullsize grip (17 Rounds in the M&P) for OC, in the house, or your training class. The XDsc will come with a full size mag with a grip sleeve that will make it a full size. For the M&Pc, you can do the same thing by buying a full size mag and an X-Grip (that's the brand name/it's aftermarket). I have them for my M&P for when it's in the house. (Right now, S&W is also doing a mail in rebate where you get $50 or 2 free mags. That's what I'd do to get two full size mags for the compact).
    With a good holster, either can be CCed easily. I CC a Sig P228 (larger than the XDsc and M&Pc) with no issues, under a T-shirt, and I now CC my M&P under a t-shirt with no issues. It's all in a good CC holster and belt.
    Last edited by MSteve; 08-03-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast