• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which 9mm to get...

t33j

I'll admit that my 34oz 1911 does start to feel heavy after a while, but I hardly notice carrying a 26oz usp-c 9 all day on a good belt and in a good holster. In my experimentations with CC, the usp seems to work fine as well but it almost certainly falls in the lot of money category. Thickness is probably just a little bit more of a factor than weight there.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

What about the 5 shot Taurus 9mm revolver? Thoughts?

Thanks, but I won't train again with a revolver unless everyone else in the class has one too. :) The last time I was behind the curve the whole 4 days and all the other folks waited patiently for me to reload. Slowed everyone down terribly. And that was a much more basic course than the ones I'm planning to take next year. I seriously doubt a revolver would be allowed, actually.

So, while a revolver makes some sense for carry, it does not for advanced tactical courses not intended for revolvers. :) And I have a perfectly wonderful Ruger SP101 if I ever decide to take such a course.

Anyway, I've pretty much made up my mind that I want either an XD compact or sub-compact 9 for this deal. I'll see if I can find a way to shoot both of them before I go to buy one. I'd love to get them both, but the budget just isn't going to stand for it. :)

MSteve

I'd recommend going to a range that will rent you an XDsc and an M&Pc. Shoot both side-by-side and see which you prefer That's what I did, and I ended up with the M&P (though, mine's in .357sig). The prices are comparable. The benefits as I see it to either weapon, is the ability to have a short grip (12 rounds in the M&P) for CC or a fullsize grip (17 Rounds in the M&P) for OC, in the house, or your training class. The XDsc will come with a full size mag with a grip sleeve that will make it a full size. For the M&Pc, you can do the same thing by buying a full size mag and an X-Grip (that's the brand name/it's aftermarket). I have them for my M&P for when it's in the house. (Right now, S&W is also doing a mail in rebate where you get $50 or 2 free mags. That's what I'd do to get two full size mags for the compact).
With a good holster, either can be CCed easily. I CC a Sig P228 (larger than the XDsc and M&Pc) with no issues, under a T-shirt, and I now CC my M&P under a t-shirt with no issues. It's all in a good CC holster and belt.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

I'd recommend going to a range that will rent you an XDsc and an M&Pc. Shoot both side-by-side and see which you prefer

That would be a wonderful idea if there were such ranges here. :) I live in rural Wyoming, and if you want to shoot at any of our ranges, you must bring a gun! LOL But I may see if anyone in our club has one or both of these guns and would let me shoot them. I hadn't thought of that.

With a good holster, either can be CCed easily. I CC a Sig P228 (larger than the XDsc and M&Pc) with no issues, under a T-shirt, and I now CC my M&P under a t-shirt with no issues. It's all in a good CC holster and belt.

I'm sure that would work for the average man, but it's a bit different for a woman - especially a very short, stout woman like me. I have the ideal holster, actually. Just need to grit my teeth and buy a really good belt. I've paid far more now for half a dozen poor ones that just don't retain their shape and get too soft. Oh well... live and learn. :)

NathanForrest

I would suggest you get a .40S&W instead of a 9mm. You get the ballistics similar to a .45ACP with the handling of a 9mm. A Glock .40S&W would be a good choice.

A Glock 30 in .45ACP is also a good choice. Currently looking for a Taurus PT1911 for open carry.

I've got a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro in .40S&W that's pretty accurate and easy to handle. This is one that I carry when I'm not concerned about the firearm's finish as I messed it up carrying it May a year ago. Sweat got to the slide and ate up the finish.

Last edited:

oldkim

So many factors....

The main reason why everyone has a different gun... simply put we are all different, our needs and likes are different and our priorities are different.

Your limitations are:
size (physical), shape
hand size
budget
need (carry vs. range)
etc, etc, etc...
training...

Now, you mainly want this new gun to be used for the "intensive training" you are about to go to. As you know a revolver definitely puts you at a disadvantage (solely from the perspective of capacity and speed of reloading) when compared to a semi with 17+ and 5+ magazines.

If you carry a revolver and that is what you are used to and the main reason you are attending this course is to get the training for conceal carry for self defense.... then use your revolver. Make it known you have a revolver to the instructor (as you will be slower).

Often times people look at the speed of how fast one can shoot but not look hard enough at how well one shoots. If you main carry gun is a revolver and that is your "go to gun" then stick with it. Learning to use a semi when you are a revolver carrier doesn't really make sense.

So, you have something to think about... get more proficient with shooting your revolver and making the reload change smooter and faster (for any handgun).

Now if you are still stuck on getting a semi (9mm is a good round). With modern ballistics (hollow points and all the new ammo designs - it's quite all lethal in the right hands). Remember for these training courses you really do need a mid - full size gun. You are going to be shooting the heck out of them (600-1100 rounds a day). That's like shooting 50 rounds in a 357 Mag snubbie lightweight. Just crazy (it can be done but why?)

Also know that above all else! You want a gun to be reliable - meaning you don't want to go there and have FTF (failure to fire) for whatever reason. It'll throw you off and slow you down and make you look like an idiot in front of everyone (students and instructor) but there is no gun out there that is 1000% all the time so you got to train for FTF (clearing drills).

So back on topic: There are many 9mm caliber guns out there. That's like asking for a recommendation on a good 4 door car. It really boils down to your budget and taste.

You mentioned you are pretty far from rental gun ranges. Think of it as an investment. Go take a trip - stay overnight if you have to and try them out. You don't want to just buy one without trying it (if you can help it) otherwise you might just have an expensive paperweight or "safe queen."

simmonsjoe

Not similar.

I would suggest you get a .40S&W instead of a 9mm. You get the ballistics similar to a .45ACP with the handling of a 9mm. A Glock .40S&W would be a good choice.

A Glock 30 in .45ACP is also a good choice. Currently looking for a Taurus PT1911 for open carry.

I've got a Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro in .40S&W that's pretty accurate and easy to handle. This is one that I carry when I'm not concerned about the firearm's finish as I messed it up carrying it May a year ago. Sweat got to the slide and ate up the finish.
actually the 45ACP performs markedly better in ballistic gelatin than the .40s&w

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Thank You

And decided to chime in with something unique so you'd look good.

If you want to go off topic start your own thread.

Thank you. I read dozens of these threads every day. I also use the little button to the left to "go to the first new post". So days, and sometimes weeks could go by following one of these subjects without ever going back to the first post. Yes, my mistake. I am quite new to this forum, and have found it to be a wealth of information. I can assure you, I do not post very often, or to "look good". The OP's response to my post was informative and respectful. Sorry for any ill feelings I have caused.

Batousaii

Check a CZ-75B ?

I have owned a CZ-75B for over 15 years. It is very reliable and has a slim light natural feel to it even when fully loaded with 16 rounds. It recently had all of it's springs replaced with new wolf springs of mostly stock weights (upgraded the recoil spring a couple lbs and stronger extractor too) and it is now even smoother. Countless rounds have gone down it's barrel, reloads, +P, light loads, lead round nose, FMJ, military etc. etc. and will digest anything except the ultra cheep wallmart bottom shelf ball (not sure why, it just hates those). I would check out the CZ-75B and see if you like it, they are reasonably priced too.

Bat

Regular_Joe

I'd recommend going to a range that will rent you an XDsc and an M&Pc.

If you think you only want a couple of guns to own, you really like and know the XD controls and the gear is interchangeable between the .45 and 9mm platforms, I'd seriously consider keeping things simple and staying with XD (we promise not to call you a fanboy!). Some may suggest buying a less expensive gun, but then you have to add in the cost of additional gear (IWB, OWB, extra mags, mag pouches).

If you want to vary things a bit, I'd recommend the M&P. The weight and profile is close to the XD, so OC and CC factors are similar. I currently OC (Blackhawk's Serpa) and CC (Galco's Triton) the 9mm fullsize - no issues, even in shorts/t-shirt. The price fora new XD is a little under $500 and for the M&P a little over $500. I have gone through a few courses with the M&P - the 17rd mags were great to have!

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

M

McX

the little CZ 9's can be had for reasonable, around $200, and they're built well, since they're old, it won't matter if you put a scratch on it.

MSteve

That would be a wonderful idea if there were such ranges here. :) I live in rural Wyoming, and if you want to shoot at any of our ranges, you must bring a gun! LOL But I may see if anyone in our club has one or both of these guns and would let me shoot them. I hadn't thought of that.

I'm sure that would work for the average man, but it's a bit different for a woman - especially a very short, stout woman like me. I have the ideal holster, actually. Just need to grit my teeth and buy a really good belt. I've paid far more now for half a dozen poor ones that just don't retain their shape and get too soft. Oh well... live and learn. :)

Which holster are you looking at? I use a C-Tac and an M-Tac, and the profile on the M&Pc, with the short mag is very minimal; not much more than any single stack you will find. They are both IWB, though, which may be an issue for you. (The profile on the XDsc should be similar, with a shorter barrel.)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I'm going to put in another vote for the Ruger SR9. I carry the full size model regularly in a M-TAC holster. Very slim profile = easy to conceal too,. 17+1 capacity is nice too. Just ordered some meprolight night sights for $77 yesterday too :)